Hope for Independence

1 hour ago, alta-pete said:

I absolutely get the desire for independence. 

I still don’t however see - 12 years after it was first mooted as a possibility - any credible answers as to the reality of the practicalities of how it might all pan out. 

Those that hitched their hopes to the post-2014 SNP? I think their leaders have been proven as having been over promoted from the 6th form common room. 

Ireland has a 9 billion budget surplus

And you won't hear that debated on your television screens anytime soon,  or ever 

1 hour ago, alta-pete said:

I absolutely get the desire for independence. 

I still don’t however see - 12 years after it was first mooted as a possibility - any credible answers as to the reality of the practicalities of how it might all pan out. 

Those that hitched their hopes to the post-2014 SNP? I think their leaders have been proven as having been over promoted from the 6th form common room. 

Norway,  Denmark,  Sweden,  Finland 

Iceland after the economic crash of 2008, still going strong 

Luxembourg,  the richest country in the world 

You've actually come out and said 'the reality of the practicalities of how it might pan out'

Would suggest stopping reading the daily mail

5 minutes ago, Binos said:

Norway,  Denmark,  Sweden,  Finland 

Iceland after the economic crash of 2008, still going strong 

Luxembourg,  the richest country in the world 

You've actually come out and said 'the reality of the practicalities of how it might pan out'

Would suggest stopping reading the daily mail

Would suggest looking at Scottish Independence Referendum 2014. Also as an aside https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_former_sovereign_states not everyone is a winner

3 minutes ago, Plumpy said:

Would suggest looking at Scottish Independence Referendum 2014. Also as an aside https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_former_sovereign_states not everyone is a winner

I was on the fence before, but now that I see the Bogd Khanate of Mongolia failed that's me dead against independence for Scotland. Cheers.

Independence at this point kinda feels like the chances of Aberdeen winning another Scottish cup, in theory it could happen eventually but at the same time it's gotten to the point of seeming impossible.

16 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Forget Norway or Finland. I'd be happy for an independent Scotland to be an Iceland or a Latvia.

Of the 15 former republics of the Soviet Union, Estonia appears to be the most successful.

3 hours ago, GordonS said:

I was on the fence before, but now that I see the Bogd Khanate of Mongolia failed that's me dead against independence for Scotland. Cheers.

Easily eclipsed by the reputation of past glories when the Mongols threatened Poland, Hungary, Serbia and other countries in Central Europe.

I honestly thought we’d got past the ‘too wee, too poor, too stupid’ fallacy but there’s some forelock tuggers who seem unable to give it up.

The idea that all these small independent nations can survive and thrive yet Scotland couldn’t takes self loathing to a level that’s hard to understand.

5 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I honestly thought we’d got past the ‘too wee, too poor, too stupid’ fallacy but there’s some forelock tuggers who seem unable to give it up.

The idea that all these small independent nations can survive and thrive yet Scotland couldn’t takes self loathing to a level that’s hard to understand.

Especially when the UK is the poorest nation in its neighbourhood, with the bottom 10% here having lower incomes than the bottom 10% in Slovenia. Fine, we can't run ourselves, but could we not find a better country to run us then? Maybe it was a mistake to win the Battle of Largs. 

Edited by GordonS

29 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Especially when the UK is the poorest nation in its neighbourhood Europe, with the bottom 10% here having lower incomes than the bottom 10% in Slovenia. Fine, we can't run ourselves, but could we not find a better country to run us then? Maybe it was a mistake to win the Battle of Largs. 

Do you think Labour or the Tories or the LibDems give a flying f**k about the bottom 10%?

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Do you think Labour or the Tories or the LibDems give a flying f**k about the bottom 10%?

Liz Kendall split with her colleagues and didn't vote against the bedroom tax or the benefits cap and said Labour lost in 2015 because “We said a lot about the very poor, but too little about the middle classes” and now she's Labour's new Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, so...

I don't know if Slovenia's political parties care more, mind.

On 10/07/2024 at 11:12, GordonS said:

Especially when the UK is the poorest nation in its neighbourhood, with the bottom 10% here having lower incomes than the bottom 10% in Slovenia. Fine, we can't run ourselves, but could we not find a better country to run us then? Maybe it was a mistake to win the Battle of Largs. 

Dont disagree with the premise of your post, but this bit isnt accurate. 

1 hour ago, Leith Green said:

Dont disagree with the premise of your post, but this bit isnt accurate. 

The UK has a lower GDP PPP per capita than Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Germany, Austria, Liechtenstein, Switzerland, France, Monaco, Andorra, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Belgium and Ireland. You have to go as far as Spain, Italy, Poland and the Baltic states to find lower. 

I often find Scottish Unionists are utter pussies in the sense that they think we would have no armed forces if we became independent and someone like Russia or China would be entering the co-ordinates of the Castlecary Arches into their nukes 12 hours after it being announced a Yes vote had won.

A No voter I work with has basically said this to me on numerous occasions.  'We'd be sitting ducks, out the EU, out of NATO.  It would be open season for Putin'.  You can't reason with these fucking idiots.

56 minutes ago, GordonS said:

The UK has a lower GDP PPP per capita than Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Germany, Austria, Liechtenstein, Switzerland, France, Monaco, Andorra, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Belgium and Ireland. You have to go as far as Spain, Italy, Poland and the Baltic states to find lower. 

I only mentioned it because your original post referred to incomes, not GDP - whole different thing.

1 hour ago, Leith Green said:

I only mentioned it because your original post referred to incomes, not GDP - whole different thing.

I didn't say anything about incomes. I said the UK is the poorest country in its neighbourhood.

Edit - Ah, I see where I caused the confusion, I went on to talk about incomes in the UK v incomes in Slovenia. Sorry, I meant those as two different points, I wasn't clear.

Edited by GordonS

Also, which north west European country has a lower average income than the UK? All the figures I can find say we're behind everyone except the southern and ex-Communist Bloc countries.