El Final: 🇪🇸 Spain v England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

ClydeTon

On 12/07/2024 at 18:21, Scary Bear said:

Me too. If you want to piss folk off play 3 Lions on repeat.

I do like 3 Lions. It's overplayed on certain occasions, but it's a catchy song about how England doesn't win anything and their fans are all sad because of it. What's not to like?

Edited by Aim Here

38 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

That's Southgate away.

The Welsh First Minister has also just resigned.

Coincidence?

I think it is…

24 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Not really a surprise he's quit. Did a far better job than his predecessors, yet received an unwarranted amount of abuse from some very entitled and moronic people. 

Speaking of entitled and moronic people, I just had Talksport on for the first (and likely last) time. I have never heard a bigger gobshite drivel merchant than that Lianne Sanderson in my life. 

“THIS WAS AN AVERAGE SPAIN SIDE”

Someone might want to tell that to the France, Germany, Croatia, Italy and England teams who they played off the park, all of whom (except Italy, admittedly) apparently contain generational talents at either end of their careers. 

“ ALF THEIR PLAYERS PLAY FOR REAL SOCIEDAD!”

By that token half the England players play for Crystal Palace. 

“WOULD YOU SWAP KYLE WALKER FOR DANI CARVAJAL?!!!”

Ummm. Probably? Walker’s good. He’s certainly quick. But if you were going to attempt to make this point would you pick on the most decorated full back of his generation as your example? 

Edited by Junior_Arab

8 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

I do like 3 Lions. It's overplayed on certain occasions, but it's a catchy song about how England doesn't win anything and their fans are all sad because of it. What's not to like?

It's a belter. That it gets better every two years is the icing on the cake. I hope it causes literal bleeding pain to Skinner and Baddiel every time they hear it.

Southgate leaving is terrible news for them. For all his reputation as a cardigan, he somehow managed to keep a lid on them for long enough that people grew to think they'd changed somehow. Whoever they get in next will either clamp down on the egos and have them in open mutiny, or let them do what they want and get them pumped senseless by any side that isn't overawed by them.

I see the Southgate situation as similar to McIness at Aberdeen.

He stabilised them and brought the team almost within reach of a bigger prize, but couldn’t quite get over the finishing line. Discontent among a section of the fanbase demanding a change.

Whether England will now get a new manager every year remains to be seen though. 

19 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

And yet many take it as being arrogant entitlement.  Probably Juve fans from Copenhagen.

28 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Gareth Southgate is/was England's luckiest manager. They will live to regret this.

FIFY. He had several spawney knock-out draws and still managed to nearly f*ck the latest one up only to be bailed out by a very unlikely 94th minute overhead kick against the 48th ranked team in the world.

36 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Gareth Southgate is/was England's greatest manager. They will live to regret this.

A living Alf Ramsay might have questioned your assertion.

54 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Previous managers were eliminated in the group stages of WC2014 and by Iceland at Euro 2016. 

The luck of the draw is one thing, but he avoided the banana skins and did what he needed to. They were always just beaten by a better team in their exits under him and avoided embarassments. They were crap to watch, right enough, but his achievements are difficult to argue with. 

That was one manager, and they had a relatively crap squad at the time. 

Avoiding an Iceland moment is a point in his favour (though he was very close against Slovakia) but it's become a bit of a myth that England always made a joke exit from the tournament pre-Southgate. That game was an exception.

Most of the time they take care of business against the diddy sides and then get dumped out by the first properly good team they play in the knockouts. Even in 2014, they went out in the groups because they lost to Italy and a very good Uruguay team.

Southgate has essentially carried on the usual pattern, just with more favourable draws.

Edited by DC92

46 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Previous managers were eliminated in the group stages of WC2014 and by Iceland at Euro 2016. 

The luck of the draw is one thing, but he avoided the banana skins and did what he needed to. They were always just beaten by a better team in their exits under him and avoided embarassments. They were crap to watch, right enough, but his achievements are difficult to argue with. 

The Euro 2016 (and WC 2014) squads were dogshit compared to their 2024 offering, hence my point about him having a far superior squad than his predecessors.  That has played a huge part in him getting them to 2 finals and a semi final in recent tournaments.