Berwick Rangers 24/25

Redcar

4 minutes ago, JCScouting said:

After having about 45 mins to calm down. Game was very fast pace, could have went in at half time 1-1 maybe even 2-1 up just unlucky not to take our chances.

2nd half Hearts wingers McLuckie and Pollock were rapid, balls down the wing where we gave them a bit too much space crossed in and players managed to get on the end of it.

We hit the bar, laidlaw took his goal well and we maybe could of had 1 more. I think a fair scoreline would have been 3-1, 4-2. 

Off the ball incident might not be as bad as first made out jostling in the box and unfortunately Barr off injured. Robinson also off injured.

Ref missed a blatant handball, Player moved his arm into the ball right infront of me. Would have changed the outcome but he missed a few key points for both teams not just berwick.

Offsides wise I think there was a few poor calls and with the hearts boys being rapid the linesman seemed to be a yard or 2 off the pace. Gave Buchanan offside when he wasn't also.

Overall a disappointing night where the game wasn't allowed to flow much due to silly stoppages, annoyingly normally when berwick had possession. Hearts definitely deserved the 3 points can't argue that. Some great players in the squad but 6-1 was certainly flattering. 

A fair summary of the game, but I thought Berwick stood off Hearts too much, allowing them time to pick the through passes which led to most of the goals. When Hearts get the opportunity to break at pace, then they will exploit it.  Both Linlithgow and Tranent didn't allow Hearts any time or space on the ball (at least in the first half) and got some success through that. Berwick was just a bit too passive in that regard. 

4 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

A fair summary of the game, but I thought Berwick stood off Hearts too much, allowing them time to pick the through passes which led to most of the goals. When Hearts get the opportunity to break at pace, then they will exploit it.  Both Linlithgow and Tranent didn't allow Hearts any time or space on the ball (at least in the first half) and got some success through that. Berwick was just a bit too passive in that regard. 

Agree 100% 2nd half we allowed them too much time and Hearts through balls were accurate to players running in behind. 

2 hours ago, UpInTheStand said:

Sometimes the officials are atrocious for you (the opening league game of this season) and sometimes they are atrocious against you (last night). That's football...

Of course that's football, it's why I spend 75% of the year in a huff. Wouldn't change it though. 

Best of luck against Cumbernauld today.

Good grief guys. I thought that you looked howling against us, but I put that down to a mixture of the traffic, the gulf in leagues and having half an eye on the Hearts game. What on earth has gone on tonight?

On 16/08/2024 at 22:48, JCScouting said:

Some great players in the squad but 6-1 was certainly flattering. 

If you're honest it really wasn't, and perhaps tonight underlines that. 

29 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Good grief guys. I thought that you looked howling against us, but I put that down to a mixture of the traffic, the gulf in leagues and having half an eye on the Hearts game. What on earth has gone on tonight?

I've had a look at the highlights from the Hearts B 6-1 game, and a lot of the issues from the Dumbarton game are still there.

Namely: an insanely high defensive line combined with perhaps the worst offside trap I've ever seen (which is directly responsible for goals 3 (@5:59), 4 (@6:59) and 6 (9:48)), far too much space for opposition wingers, and frankly terrible individual defending.

All for trying to have a more ambitious style of play but perhaps it's not possible at this level.

22 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

Only 3 players from Saturday s defeat started for the Uni ?

How much of a squad are you allowed ? 

Maybe that's the real team back at the uni now. Think the courses start in a few weeks.

Berwick Rangers 0-7 (seven) University of Stirling

You know it's bad when the scoreline must be restated in letters...

Mortifying.

Geddes out-foxed us.

Students out-thought, out-passed, out-ran, out-fought us.

Humiliation.

EDIT: apparently our record defeat in Scottish football = 9-1 at Hamilton in 1980... so were 1 goal from equalling that (note they had a goal ruled out for a tight offside plus hit the post and later the bar!) and tonight's quite possibly our record home defeat?

Edited by HibeeJibee

An absolute embarrassment. 

0-2 would have been dreadful. 0-7 is shameful.

2 weeks ago we were top of the league. I've never known a turnround anything remotely like this. Only the manager can know what has caused this free fall - and he needs to tell us. 

Still a little stunned at this. Not only the result but the staggeringly poor defending. Flapping, scrambling, panicking efforts on show in the above video highlights. Dreadful. Stirling are strolling around. Walking the ball in at times. Same as Friday.
Ok, they may have students returning from time off but they are hardly a full time league side. The early season elation well and truly extinguished.