England's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be England's next permanent manager?  

112 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

Poisoned chalice IMO. 

It really is. It’s been made perfectly clear that anything short of winning the World Cup in 26 is a managerial failure based on the fact that they’ve got to 2 European finals in a row. I’m not sure why they can’t just aspire to bring in a manager who can get the best out of these players rather than this unrealistic demand of instant success. 

I think they’re 5 th favourites at the moment and that’s being kind to them. Spain are now the team to beat, then Argentina can’t be written off and will be at an advantage with it being in America, Germany and France (if they can get their act together) will all be more likely to win than England. Then the likes of Brazil and Italy and a few dark horses could prove very difficult for this England team. I can’t see them being anywhere near winning it.

5 hours ago, throbber said:

It really is. It’s been made perfectly clear that anything short of winning the World Cup in 26 is a managerial failure based on the fact that they’ve got to 2 European finals in a row. I’m not sure why they can’t just aspire to bring in a manager who can get the best out of these players rather than this unrealistic demand of instant success. 

I think they’re 5 th favourites at the moment and that’s being kind to them. Spain are now the team to beat, then Argentina can’t be written off and will be at an advantage with it being in America, Germany and France (if they can get their act together) will all be more likely to win than England. Then the likes of Brazil and Italy and a few dark horses could prove very difficult for this England team. I can’t see them being anywhere near winning it.

nothing to worry about for 2026 but i think they will be very dangerous at euro 28 yet again another home tournament. They went very very close last time and I suspect that by then they will have a top manager in place i.e. guardiola.

Edited by blackbird

That's the thing, I heard that the FA were willing to offer Southgate a 6 year extension and a huge pay rise to stay.

It's not the FA who create the toxic atmosphere around the gig.

In their eyes, Southgate was a resounding success.

It's the media that creates the vortex of toxicity and negativity that surrounds the Men's English national team.

The media build up England players like they're all world class. They make the English public believe in their propaganda.

Then when said players inevitably fail to reach the impossible standards set by the media, the media aren't backwards about coming forwards where it comes to tearing down the players.

I partly blame the England fans for being so gullible and weak minded as to believe the media's hype.

it's a classic case of mass hysteria.

It happens every two years.

Personally, I hope that Guardiola gets the gig as it'll prove that this England team aren't as good as the media portray it to be (Pre-tournament).

55 minutes ago, blackbird said:

nothing to worry about for 2026 but i think they will be very dangerous at euro 28 yet again another home tournament. They went very very close last time and I suspect that by then they will have a top manager in place i.e. guardiola.

Oh who knows - it’s still the same English 3 that are favourites to take over and then it’s Poch with Guardiola at 28/1 I wouldn’t worry about him taking the job. 

I was 9 In euro 96 when I’d first realised how unbearable England were and was relieved they got knocked out a tournament. I’ll be 39 when they’re at their next tournament and I could easily be 69 watching them with the exact same feelings of concern about them eventually getting the monkey off their back and actually winning one. Its pretty funny tbh. 

7 hours ago, throbber said:

They have to qualify first.

On 20/07/2024 at 18:12, throbber said:

Oh who knows - it’s still the same English 3 that are favourites to take over and then it’s Poch with Guardiola at 28/1 I wouldn’t worry about him taking the job. 

I was 9 In euro 96 when I’d first realised how unbearable England were and was relieved they got knocked out a tournament. I’ll be 39 when they’re at their next tournament and I could easily be 69 watching them with the exact same feelings of concern about them eventually getting the monkey off their back and actually winning one. Its pretty funny tbh. 

Talksport are already making a case for winning the euros in 2028 and giving a pass for whatever poor results comes in 2026.

Carsley makes sense, to be honest.

International football is increasingly its own beast, and taking an elite coach used to being able to mould a squad perfectly might not be the best approach.

A couple of English journalists I've heard talking about this recently have mentioned that while the FA stumbled into Southgate due to circumstances, they view his relative success as evidence that they should be carrying on with the England DNA thing. Carsley makes sense from that point of view as well, being from within.

If they appoint a proper big name, it also brings constant speculation that he's off to Chelsea/Man Utd etc etc.

On 20/07/2024 at 19:52, Jacksgranda said:

They have to qualify first.

This is a big thing that the English media appear to have overlooked. 

The international calendar strongly hints that UEFA want to use the (interim) Nations League ranking to seed the World Cup qualifying draw in December. FIFA recently updated their regulations to allow this. 

If that happens, England can be no higher than pot 2 (they could drop into pot 3 with a disastrous Nations League campaign, but I’m sure even they can’t f**k up the group they’ve got). 

With only the group winners qualifying automatically, draw Spain from pot 1 and they’d be looking at the play-offs. Seeding should give them a home semi-final, but a toss of a coin could mean an away final against a difficult nation.

Of course, we all know they’ll simply draw us as the pot 1 team…

Edited by The Master

20 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

Carsley makes sense, to be honest.

International football is increasingly its own beast, and taking an elite coach used to being able to mould a squad perfectly might not be the best approach.

A couple of English journalists I've heard talking about this recently have mentioned that while the FA stumbled into Southgate due to circumstances, they view his relative success as evidence that they should be carrying on with the England DNA thing. Carsley makes sense from that point of view as well, being from within.

If they appoint a proper big name, it also brings constant speculation that he's off to Chelsea/Man Utd etc etc.

England appointing their version of Scotland Gemmill sounds ideal tbh.