Scottish Cup Draws

imagine getting this raging about a football competition that your team isn't even in. 

(no correspondence shall be entered by the author of this post regarding the rights and wrongs of said competition at this time). 

3 hours ago, southerner said:

A cup where you make a profit if you win it, not to be sniffed at. 

Your statement maybe true for 8 teams, (is that correct, the teams reaching the quarter finals get a lump sum, but do any teams that reach the earlier rounds, do they receive payouts and if so, what are the payment per round reached?).   Yeah the winners, runners up, SF and Q/f will receive money but what you are forgetting to include or deliberately leaving out is that all the others teams who have to travel in the early round draws normally make a loss in the junior cup if the draw is unkind to them for example teams travelling to Aberdeenshire from Ayrshire, Glasgow or the opposite way would normally pay £900/1000 for a bus and then the receive a payout for travelling of about £240, so giving them a loss of at least £660 for that round and I've seen teams draw away again the next round.  The only way to recuperate some of the lost money is that they get half the gate, but usually 100 or so people so not much help if being honest.  Some of those teams cannot afford to lose that money but they chose to enter the cup, so yes their fault as its the chance you take

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread

9 hours ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Your statement maybe true for 8 teams, (is that correct, the teams reaching the quarter finals get a lump sum, but do any teams that reach the earlier rounds, do they receive payouts and if so, what are the payment per round reached?).   Yeah the winners, runners up, SF and Q/f will receive money but what you are forgetting to include or deliberately leaving out is that all the others teams who have to travel in the early round draws normally make a loss in the junior cup if the draw is unkind to them for example teams travelling to Aberdeenshire from Ayrshire, Glasgow or the opposite way would normally pay £900/1000 for a bus and then the receive a payout for travelling of about £240, so giving them a loss of at least £660 for that round and I've seen teams draw away again the next round.  The only way to recuperate some of the lost money is that they get half the gate, but usually 100 or so people so not much help if being honest.  Some of those teams cannot afford to lose that money but they chose to enter the cup, so yes their fault as its the chance you take

I’m sure you are aware that the cost of a bus hire is not based solely on the distance travelled.

I also think you will be aware that it is possible for expensive bus hires to be needed in the South Challenge Cup. In fact, expensive bus hires are not restricted to Cup games.

If we were all to base participation in football games purely on profit being made from gate money and prize money there would not be many games played anywhere.

13 hours ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

4 hours ago, Casper Wilson said:

I’m sure you are aware that the cost of a bus hire is not based solely on the distance travelled.

I also think you will be aware that it is possible for expensive bus hires to be needed in the South Challenge Cup. In fact, expensive bus hires are not restricted to Cup games.

If we were all to base participation in football games purely on profit being made from gate money and prize money there would not be many games played anywhere.

I'm not saying a cup is about making money, where did I say that?
I'm replying to the poster above mines whose post states why the junior cup is brill because a team can make a lot of money but failed to mention that more clubs and a lot of clubs lose money out of participating in the cup due to travelling prices alone, especially the early rounds.   I know this because I've arranged a couple of busses for a few teams as I have a few friends who run Coach Companies and have got deals for the clubs. So the prices I've quoted are correct.
Here are some examples of travelling payments in the 23/24 season for the junior cup that clubs receive:

101 - 150 miles  £220
151 - 200 miles  £270
201 - 250 miles £310

The prices for busses from Glasgow to Banff, Fraserburgh, Elgin etc... are usually at the £900/£1100 some even quoting more
The prices are huge but one of the owners told me just after covid his bus insurance was £55,000 and now it’s up to £69,000 so your hiring the driver for the day, the journey there and back, diesel etc.. So it all adds up.

The prize money for last year was

Winners         £ 20,000
Runner up     £ 10,000
S/F                  £ 5,000
Q/F                 £ 2,000
Last 16            £ 500
Last 32           £ 100

I haven't a clue why you’re quoting the south challenge cup but you felt the need. No one is saying the cup makes a team a lot of money but it is a cup which is part of the pyramid system from lowland league tier 5 and lower.

You made the statement "If we were all to base participation in football games purely on profit being made from gate money and prize money there would not be many games played anywhere."

No one is disagreeing with that but the poster was making a statement about how good the junior cup for the winners in prize money and I'm stating the money, clubs lose with their draws that are far away making them lose  a lot of money they can hardly afford.

p.s. I believe the travelling money and prize money quoted are correct for the junior cup season 23/24, don't mind if someone has the correct details from last season and update  Thanks 👍

I was hoping for some diddy SOS side at home (no offense intended, diddies). Haddington away is definitely losable. Nice part of the World to visit if the weather is nice. 

I hope Pollok smash Darvel. 

16 minutes ago, Shanner said:

I was hoping for some diddy SOS side at home (no offense intended, diddies). Haddington away is definitely losable. Nice part of the World to visit if the weather is nice. 

Haddington friendly on Saturday could have been much closer, they missed some clear chances in first half. 
Pollok had a few players out, and not sure how much they had in terms of trialists etc, but they were a competitive team.

As for the second part of your post - can’t disagree!

What is the capacity for Pollok Fc.
Last year their first tie in the Scottish was against Benburb and Pollok won on penalties and think Benburb were put out but exited with over £4000 for that one game with the crowd being about 880 if I remember correctly.

I think the crowd will be over 1000 for the Scottish game against Darvel so it looks like being a good money spinning tie

11 minutes ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

What is the capacity for Pollok Fc.
Last year their first tie in the Scottish was against Benburb and Pollok won on penalties and think Benburb were put out but exited with over £4000 for that one game with the crown being about 880 if I remember correctly.

I think the crowd will be over 1000 for the Scottish game against Darvel so it looks like being a good money spinning tie

1 minute ago, andy25 said:

Has there been major changes at newlandsfield that's caused this increase in capacity? or has it just been a change of opinion by GCC? was 900 for quite a while when they had to get a safety certificate to get licenced.  

1 hour ago, Shanner said:

That's you on the naughty step with jb. 😊😊😊

Cupar Hearts have the plum draw this year.

Bo'ness Ath v Beith is very, very interesting.

Reminder of the Scottish Cup dates

Scottish Gas Men's Scottish Cup

Preliminary Round One: weekend of Saturday, 10 August 2024

Preliminary Round Two: weekend of Saturday, 31 August 2024

First Round: weekend of Saturday, 28 September 2024  -  Insertion of Highland and Lowland league teams

Second Round: weekend of Saturday, 26 October 2024  -   Insertion of SPFL League 2 teams

Third Round: weekend of Saturday, 30 November 2024  -  Insertion of SPFL Championship and league 1 teams

Fourth Round: weekend of Saturday, 18 January 2025  -  Insertion of Premier league teams

Fifth Round: weekend of Saturday, 8 February 2025

Quarter-Finals: weekend of Saturday, 8 March 2025

Semi-Finals: Saturday 19 and Sunday 20 April 2025

Final: Saturday, 24 May 2025