Scottish players in action 24/25

39 minutes ago, A Diamond For Me said:

Justin Devenny, a midfielder we sold to Crystal Palace last year, played 45 minutes in their first team friendly win over Wolves in the USA (Palace site).  He went on their first team's winter training camp last season, but hadn't been in the playing squad until now, I think.  Cracking player.

It seems that he's Scottish born, but has represented Norn Iron at u-21 level. Do you think the SFA should be looking to get him to switch?

18 minutes ago, Alan Twelve said:

It seems that he's Scottish born, but has represented Norn Iron at u-21 level. Do you think the SFA should be looking to get him to switch?

I'd forgotten he'd played for them.  He certainly sounds Scottish when he speaks, so although he's obviously got an Irish name he might have a Scottish identity as well.  Obviously hard to say if he'll make it to the level where he'd be an option for Scotland, but you'd imagine it'd be easier to convince someone who has lived here for most of their life than some English guy with a Scottish granny. 

1 hour ago, Chripper said:

Two starters in Belgium's Pro League:

Adedire Mebude for KVC Westerlo - 20 year old right attacking midfielder.

David Bates for Standard Liège - 27 year old centerback

Also in Belgium, Ewan Henderson came off the bench for the last half hour for Beerschot. Scots in Belgium seems to be becoming a thing, mostly at Oostende, weirdly (from memory, Jack Hendry, Fraser Hornby, Ewan Henderson and Dapo Mebude - Dire's brother - have all played there in recent seasons).

David Bates played the full 90 mins and kept a clean sheet for Standard Liège against Mechelen.

That's 3 clean sheets in 3 league matches.

His SofaScore score for the season is 7.15 (his two central defensive partners have 6.95 and 6.77)

Might be worth considering.

At 27 he's at a good age.

11 hours ago, Chripper said:

David Bates played the full 90 mins and kept a clean sheet for Standard Liège against Mechelen.

That's 3 clean sheets in 3 league matches.

His SofaScore score for the season is 7.15 (his two central defensive partners have 6.95 and 6.77)

Might be worth considering.

At 27 he's at a good age.

Bates does have four caps already. In his season at Hamburg he really looked like he was going to be a proper defensive stalwart for Scotland, but injuries and some bad moves seem to have taken their toll. Was he any good at Aberdeen?

Anyway, he's at a good club in a decent league, so if he continues to perform I hope he gets a chance.

51 minutes ago, Alan Twelve said:

I see Josh Doig was back in action last night - played the full 90 minutes in Sassuolo's Coppa Italia win. Good to see him fit again.

I saw that. I guess it hasn't developed into the move Scotland fans would have liked (or others predicted), but transfers always have an element of risk. It never seemed like Josh Doig had much control over his destination. One to watch, but wouldn't be surprising if he stayed in Serie B this season.

On 20/01/2024 at 12:35, The Moonster said:

I have no real knowledge of Italian football, looking at the table there's not much between the sides. Is this considered a better move for him or somewhat of a sideways step?

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

I saw that. I guess it hasn't developed into the move Scotland fans would have liked (or others predicted), but transfers always have an element of risk. It never seemed like Josh Doig had much control over his destination. One to watch, but wouldn't be surprising if he stayed in Serie B this season.

Aye, it's a pity how it's turned out for him at this point, and it doesn't do his chances with the national team any good, but he's still only 22 and I don't think that - if he stays fit and plays well - a season of regular first team football in Serie B will do him any harm.

That said, there's plenty of the transfer window left, so someone might take a punt on him.

3 hours ago, Alan Twelve said:

Bates does have four caps already. In his season at Hamburg he really looked like he was going to be a proper defensive stalwart for Scotland, but injuries and some bad moves seem to have taken their toll. Was he any good at Aberdeen?

Anyway, he's at a good club in a decent league, so if he continues to perform I hope he gets a chance.

I can't even remember him at Aberdeen, to be honest.

I only remember him at Raith Rovers and Hamburg.

(More like Scotland players not in action:)

Scott McTominay starting on the bench for Manchester United in the Charity Shield.

Mason Mount starting in front of him is a puzzler.

Billy Gilmour not on the bench for Brighton.

Edited by Chripper

5 hours ago, Chripper said:

I can't even remember him at Aberdeen, to be honest.

I only remember him at Raith Rovers and Hamburg.

Rangers too? He was decent enough for Rovers but young. I think I saw him once for Rangers in a New Years derby game. He was decent enough in that game.

I still remember the shambles of Kazakhstan 🇰🇿 but that was a while ago. If he’s getting a game for Standard Liege he must be worth another look.

Might as well mention that Gabe Forsyth made his debut for Norwich at the end of their game today. You can never really read much into these things when it's so early in the season, especially when the team's just got a new manager, but he's had quite a sharp rise given he only signed for their u18s last year. You can add him to the list of promising players eligible for our 19s.