Highest value player in the Championship

1 hour ago, Claudia Gentile said:

The bar seems quite low at the moment with Edwards going for a package around £150k so if Airdrie get similar or a bit higher that would be a good bit of business as things stand 

We got 90k for Edwards due to a release clause. 

Without it, and again with wing backs being a reasonably sought after position I think we would've got somewhere between 150-200k. Which is again just pish, I'd far rather the best wing back in the league than a couple of hundred k in the bank, we were never going to be able to replace him like for like. 

Partick and Raith have very little in the way of sellable assets, but they have the two best squads in the league. Chances are they'll have the two happiest fan bases in the league aswell. 

Fs I'm right bitter. 

15 hours ago, Claudia Gentile said:

Can't comment on the player you mention but English academies seem happy to drop sums our clubs will struggle to knock back just on potential.

I've no idea how academy players are evaluated but I imagine the reputation of the club and the coaches' contacts have a lot to do with it. Admittedly my knowledge of the Morton academy does not extend beyond what I read on their twitter account, but in the last 2 weeks our under-18s have comfortably beaten both Celtic and an 'English Select' team (players from across London's professional academies) yet we never hear of any interest in our guys. 

We've not made a penny off anyone since we got £170k in sell on fees when Bachirou moved to Malmo in 2018, which is probably the best way to go about making a profit from players. We also knocked back more than that for Quitongo not long before which was a mistake for all parties in hindsight.

10 hours ago, Ferguson said:

We've not made a penny off anyone since we got £170k in sell on fees when Bachirou moved to Malmo in 2018, which is probably the best way to go about making a profit from players. We also knocked back more than that for Quitongo not long before which was a mistake for all parties in hindsight.

Was it £50k we got initially for Bachirou then the sell on? That and £50k for Tidser our only notable sales in recent times.

We didn't knock back that much for Quitongo. There was talk of a £100k bid from Doncaster although they denied that when Morton announced they had knocked it back. 

On 26/07/2024 at 20:18, Jamie_M said:

Was it £50k we got initially for Bachirou then the sell on? That and £50k for Tidser our only notable sales in recent times.

Can't remember what it was initially, but I remember Warren Hawke and Crawford Rae announcing we had just received around 200k for Bachirou at a meeting in the Gamble Halls. Tele article mentions 170k as the number. Wasn't impressed with only netting 50k for Tidser at the time.

On 26/07/2024 at 20:18, Jamie_M said:

We didn't knock back that much for Quitongo. There was talk of a £100k bid from Doncaster although they denied that when Morton announced they had knocked it back. 

Aw really? Seem to remember it being around 200k for that as well, probably just crossed wires.

On 24/07/2024 at 23:02, Cptn Hooch said:

From a Livi POV, maybe Stephen Kelly. Looks far too good to be playing at this level and I'm genuinely amazed we still have him

I'm amazed that Kelly hasn't kicked on, looked like a player when he was on loan at Ayr. Looking forward to seeing him at this level again.

17 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

Turns out the actual title should have been Highest Value Player-Mqnager given the absolute wedge it would cost RR to prise Rhys McCabe from the diamonds.

Would it cost that much? If McCabe wanted to go then it wouldn’t be a hard deal to get done I don’t think. Clubs at this level are aware that managers move on all the time and you never hear of managers not being allowed to go for talks with bigger clubs or compensation being hard to work out. 

I suspect that if Raith wanted him and McCabe wanted the move then it would be sorted out one way or another. That’s the case for any manager (and player) at this level. 

I think any club taking McCabe now would be a massive mistake. He has a certain style he likes to play and certain players he likes to use, dropping him In to Hibs or Raith when they have already built the guts of their squad for this season would be carnage

On the high value players, Gary Teale was Ayrs highest value transfer, Rus is a better player. Rus barely kicked his own arse at Championship level in England and Coventry were happy to sell him. 
I can see him going to a premier team In Scotland though, but I doubt any would break the bank for him. 

Watret for me, Fulham have already had him down there, a few more league games at 17 and I think he’ll end up away by Christmas. 

17 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Would it cost that much? If McCabe wanted to go then it wouldn’t be a hard deal to get done I don’t think. Clubs at this level are aware that managers move on all the time and you never hear of managers not being allowed to go for talks with bigger clubs or compensation being hard to work out. 

I suspect that if Raith wanted him and McCabe wanted the move then it would be sorted out one way or another. That’s the case for any manager (and player) at this level. 

I agree completely with you, however, the premise of the whole thing is about who is hypothetically who is most valuable, if Raith got pushy and Hetherington decided to be difficult then McCabe's market vale is really quite high for this level.

3 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

I think any club taking McCabe now would be a massive mistake. He has a certain style he likes to play and certain players he likes to use, dropping him In to Hibs or Raith when they have already built the guts of their squad for this season would be carnage

On the high value players, Gary Teale was Ayrs highest value transfer, Rus is a better player. Rus barely kicked his own arse at Championship level in England and Coventry were happy to sell him. 
I can see him going to a premier team In Scotland though, but I doubt any would break the bank for him. 

Watret for me, Fulham have already had him down there, a few more league games at 17 and I think he’ll end up away by Christmas. 

McCabe perhaps plays that style as with a limited budget its the best chance of him being able to compete. No reason why he might not change when he steps up. It might also suit some teams if they are trying to survive and need to be resourceful