Bands that were everywhere and then disappeared

How about acts that were everywhere... then disappeared... then reappeared and were everywhere again?

Tina Turner would be the prime example. Huge in the 60s. Completely forgotten by the end of the 70s but launched a comeback and was huge again in the 80s.

6 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

How about acts that were everywhere... then disappeared... then reappeared and were everywhere again?

Tina Turner would be the prime example. Huge in the 60s. Completely forgotten by the end of the 70s but launched a comeback and was huge again in the 80s.

Aye, she's simply The Best. 

This thread is insane. 

There are genuinely bands who have had a decent album or two then disappeared. Then there are folk naming bands from 20/30 years ago who've soldiered on and are shocked they are as popular as they once were. The Prodigy was the wildest shout for me. 

On 31/07/2024 at 23:45, tongue_tied_danny said:

The Beatles were a bit like that. From late seventies until early nineties they were hardly mentioned. Since anthology project they’ve been huge again 

21 hours ago, hk blues said:

Benetton were pretty big in the 80s and 90s but you rarely see their stuff nowadays. 

Two world championships then I think they were bought by Renault. 

On 28/07/2024 at 02:53, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Jessie J, Kesha, Avril Lavigne.

Jessie J I'll give you - I saw her in 2018 and she was great. Not done much (released music) I know of since but apparently popular on TikTok (?)  She had a kid in 2022 so fair do's for her chilling since then.

Kesha has been fighting her label / rapist in American courts for a good while; finally won and done with that shit last year. I am a "Top Fan" on facebook, but apparently no promoters /tour managers / booking peeps / official guys are checking the comments. I still post in hope.

Avril played Glastonbury this year and got a bigger crowd/sounded better than the 'previously successful' / "Legends" slot Shania Twain. No, seriously. Whether it was "microphone issues"/stage problems (as I've seen online) or whether she was just a 'Once Beautiful But Now Trying To Recapture Her Fading Looks With Plastic Surgery And Ended Up Worse And Who TF Is That" Shania had a great voice, but looked Botox'd out her nut - Avril f**king killed it. I will admit that she looked disinterested at points, but it was festival crowd and 90% of folk were there for Sk8er Boi so I understand that. The crowd were more receptive, sang along, and cheered much more than the Other Canadian.

On 28/07/2024 at 10:12, Shandon Par said:

Muse and Keane seem to have thankfully f**ked off.

Muse headlined Bellahouston last year. Keane did "f**k off"/hiatus for a while but came back last year and have hugely popular sets at Glastonbury/Isle of Wight (on the iPlayer I guess). Played the Corn Exchange on the 1st of August and were immense.

On 09/08/2024 at 11:43, scottsdad said:

Travis - all over the place in 1999/2000. Couldn't switch on the radio without being bored to tears with their whining. Then...nothing. 

Playing the Hydro in December, Fran has red hair nowadays.
recently supported The Killers, and headlined their own show at the Royal Concert Hall/Princes Street Gardens/the Hydro in the last 2 years

Edited by AnderooMFC

20 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

Her who did that "I wish I was a punk rocker" song.

Thank fuck she disappeared.  That song is brutal.

21 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

Her who did that "I wish I was a punk rocker" song.

Google is saying Sandi Thom

22 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Thank f**k she disappeared.  That song is brutal.

Agreed! 

19 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

It was diabolical. And played on the radio every half-hour.

And now you've dug it back up into my head... 😑

Dipping back in, and, very easy to view through a Scottish prism.....

Gun, Hipsway, Orange Juice, Altered Images, Arab Strap, Bis?

Then Wales: Feeder, Stereophonics?

USA: Wheatus, Weezer?

Sped read the last 10 pages, and, something I'd mention is that the way we listen to music today (some of us) has dramatically changed. 

I'm selling of my lucrative Metallica DMMs of the first three albums, not, for financial reasons, more that I will never play them again, and, I want them to go to a good home.....

Edited by Dan Electro
Wine and a thick thumb.

On 09/08/2024 at 11:43, scottsdad said:

Travis - all over the place in 1999/2000. Couldn't switch on the radio without being bored to tears with their whining. Then...nothing. 

Reminds me of the mid 70's and The Eagles - you couldn't go anywhere without bumping into A New Kid In Town with Lyin' Eyes.

And another one for Scotland; Danny Wilson, short-lived but damned good.  What became of Gary Clark and Ged Grimes ?