Stenhousemuir -vs- Arbroath (Saturday 3 August 2024)

After a three-month holiday, a handful of friendlies and four League Cup group stage matches, we are finally back in business with the real stuff: Stenhousemuir's first fixture of the 2024/25 League 1 campaign sees them taking on Arbroath at Ochilview. I cannot wait!

It should be a proud day for everyone associated with the Warriors as we raise the champions flag for the first time in our history. While the scenes in April and May when we won the league and lifted the trophy were joyful and cathartic, this should simply be satisfying and will be something we'll all remember for a long time. Will the football be as good, though? Hmm. Although we were grouped with some good teams in the League Cup, we didn't really show up well against Dundee United, Ayr United or Falkirk - we're not creating much, a hangover from last season, and we suddenly look shaky at the back, especially from cross balls. However, Arbroath are not as fearful as our recent opponents and should present a more straightforward challenge.

The Lichties, relegated into League 1 after five largely sterling years in the Championship, appear to be going through a transitional period. Jim McIntyre is still settling into his managerial role, a number of club legends have moved on, and injuries have continued to bite. This has been offset by some excellent signings, particularly in attack, and they look like a handy side, on paper at least. I think both teams will be eyeing one another up and thinking: we can take them.

If Stenhousemuir do want to compete this season, they'll need to bring in some quality between now and next weekend. The squad is virtually unchanged from last season and could do with some new bodies to keep things fresh and give us some new options. Until that happens, we know what we're going to get on Saturday. The only difference will be Kyle Banner coming in for the injured Nicky Jamieson:

- Matty Aitken -

- Ross Taylor - Matty Yates - Euan O'Reilly -

- Mikey Anderson - Nat Wedderburn -

- Kinlay Bilham - Kyle Banner - Gregor Buchanan - Ross Meechan -

- Darren Jamieson -

This game should provide an excellent barometer as to where both clubs are. I do think Stenhousemuir can win - we haven't won a league game since March and the law of averages says we're going to get a victory again soon! So why not here!

I'll see you all there!

Edited by Francesc Fabregas

43 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

After a three-month holiday, a handful of friendlies and four League Cup group stage matches, we are finally back in business with the real stuff: Stenhousemuir's first fixture of the 2024/25 League 1 campaign sees them taking on Arbroath at Ochilview. I cannot wait!

It should be a proud day for everyone associated with the Warriors as we raise the champions flag for the first time in our history. While the scenes in April and May when we won the league and lifted the trophy were joyful and cathartic, this should simply be satisfying and will be something we'll all remember for a long time. Will the football be as good, though? Hmm. Although we were grouped with some good teams in the League Cup, we didn't really show up well against Dundee United, Ayr United or Falkirk - we're not creating much, a hangover from last season, and we suddenly look shaky at the back, especially from cross balls. However, Arbroath are not as fearful as our recent opponents and should present a more straightforward challenge.

The Lichties, relegated into the League 2 after five largely sterling years in the Championship, appear to be going through a transitional period. Jim McIntyre is still settling into his managerial role, a number of club legends have moved on, and injuries have continued to bite. This has been offset by some excellent signings, particularly in attack, and they look like a handy side, on paper at least. I think both teams will be eyeing one another up and thinking: we can take them.

If Stenhousemuir do want to compete this season, they'll need to bring in some quality between now and next weekend. The squad is virtually unchanged from last season and could do with some new bodies to keep things fresh and give us some new options. Until that happens, we know what we're going to get on Saturday. The only difference will be Kyle Banner coming in for the injured Nicky Jamieson:

- Matty Aitken -

- Ross Taylor - Matty Yates - Euan O'Reilly -

- Mikey Anderson - Nat Wedderburn -

- Kinlay Bilham - Kyle Banner - Gregor Buchanan - Ross Meechan -

- Darren Jamieson -

This game should provide an excellent barometer as to where both clubs are. I do think Stenhousemuir can win - we haven't won a league game since March and the law of averages says we're going to get a victory again soon! So why not here!

I'll see you all there!

I know we were honking last season but dont believe we merit getting a double relegation.

As soon as I knew we were both in the same league, I was looking forward to this one.  I've got good memories of playing Stenny at Ochilview, and a hell of a lot has changed since we last faced each other in the league.  I can't imagine they're going to be sticking us at one end of the stand these days.  I always saw Stenny as like us, a proper club who played in proper colours, and who made the most of their resources, plus they always seem like a friendly sort of club. 

Hoping for another 92nd minute winner celebrated in front of the wrong fans! 

Edited by ExiledLichtie

13 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

As soon as I knew we were both in the same league, I was looking forward to this one.  I've got good memories of playing Stenny at Ochilview, and a hell of a lot has changed since we last faced each other in the league.  I can't imagine they're going to be sticking us at one end of the stand these days.

You'll almost certainly get the terrace whereas we'll have the stand and the flat standing area behind the astroturf goal. I'm hoping given it's flag day we'll have a decent home support. Falkirk have their own flag night the evening before so maybe a few more 'neutrals' along as well. I'd expect Arbroath will bring 200-300?

8 minutes ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

You'll almost certainly get the terrace whereas we'll have the stand and the flat standing area behind the astroturf goal. I'm hoping given it's flag day we'll have a decent home support. Falkirk have their own flag night the evening before so maybe a few more 'neutrals' along as well. I'd expect Arbroath will bring 200-300?

Aye easily.

In regards to the game - if you had asked me after 45 minutes of today I would have been very unsure. After the second 45 I definitely have a wee bit more confidence.

I am very wary of the fact that we will be playing a well organised side who know each others game inside out. Whereas I would guess Arbroath will have 6-7 new signings playing. Stenny look very organised and solid at the back with a good keeper and Yates as the danger man. 

Think Keith Watson looked a class act when he come on today and Reilly and Gallagher in flashes looked like an excellent pairing well capable of scoring goals.

I think for me one of them will start the match and one will come on. If I had to guess right now and if it was me I would start Reilly and take Gallagher off the bench later on. Reilly looked really really sharp today and with him in there we should be able to get midfield players into the game. 

Dow will still be missing I am sure. Hammy obviously out for the season so to start I would go with -

McAdams

Bisland

Watson

ToB

Wilkie

Spalding

Slater

Stewart RM

Murray AM

Coulson LM

Reilly

With Cal Gal coming off the bench - looking down the spine of the team today I was really impressed with McAdams, Tam, Watson, Reilly, Gallagher, Slater and young Spalding.

Next Saturday is going to be very tough, and after supporting Arbroath the last couple of year nobody is going to be confident but we definitely can go and win this game. 

Whether that happens though is another thing entirely but I am reasonably confident in us as a defensive unit and I hope now we have strikers back ( which made such a massive difference today when both introduced) we can start to put the ball in the back of the net.*

* awaiting incoming 3-0 defeat

Ps - congratulations to Stenhousemuir on their title win last season - sounded like a right good laugh. 

14 minutes ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

To be honest, I prefer when we get some seats in the stand. The covered terrace is fine when we shoot toward it, but it's not so great when we shoot the other way. 

In addition, the pie queue is better when they only have to serve one side, and Stenny have one of the better pie shops in Scotland :)

19 minutes ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

Is that new?  I don't recall home fans having a standing area over on the other side?  I could be wrong but when we played Stenny before, and also QP a couple years back, I only recall the home fans getting the stand.

I always feel like we take a decent crowd to Ochilview too, even when we are shite, its in easy reach for a lot of the much scattered Arbroath diaspora.

Controversial take, but I preferred Ochilview when the stand was on the other side, you could get through the gardens at the Tryst Road end, and there was a covered terrace where the new stand is now.

I'll get my coat.

1 minute ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Is that new?  I don't recall home fans having a standing area over on the other side?  I could be wrong but when we played Stenny before, and also QP a couple years back, I only recall the home fans getting the stand.

I always feel like we take a decent crowd to Ochilview too, even when we are shite, its in easy reach for a lot of the much scattered Arbroath diaspora.

It was used a few times last season, starting with a 700+ crowd v Stranraer close to the start of the season. They have built a new 'ultras shed' there which is a big shipping container with a step or two of 'terracing' for the young lads with a few flags and a megaphone. Tickets are available on Fanbase if any Arbroath fan prefers the stand.

After a week that had 2 positive results im Looking forward to this one. Gallagher and Reilly both getting 30 minutes yesterday makes me confident both will start at Ochilview and we play four four two

23 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

After a week that had 2 positive results im Looking forward to this one. Gallagher and Reilly both getting 30 minutes yesterday makes me confident both will start at Ochilview and we play four four two

What midfield would you go for in a 4-4-2? 

31 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

What midfield would you go for in a 4-4-2? 

Stewart - Slater - Spalding - Coulson 

That would be my guess. Would be harsh on Murray unless he plays him on the left instead of Coulson. 

Im only saying we play 4-4-2 because that’s what Mcintyres has said he wants to play. 

33 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Stewart - Slater - Spalding - Coulson 

That would be my guess. Would be harsh on Murray unless he plays him on the left instead of Coulson. 

Im only saying we play 4-4-2 because that’s what Mcintyres has said he wants to play. 

No I know was just curious as to what you think the midfield would be 

Few different options now and there’ll be more when Dow comes back

You would hope Stewart will get back to right midfield anyway - Slater nailed on because he’s fit and played every single game 

Maybe get a striker in on loan this week too to have an option to change it up 

5 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

No I know was just curious as to what you think the midfield would be 

Few different options now and there’ll be more when Dow comes back

You would hope Stewart will get back to right midfield anyway - Slater nailed on because he’s fit and played every single game 

Maybe get a striker in on loan this week too to have an option to change it up 

I can’t see Spalding dropping out after 2 man of the match performances this week. Would certainly be very harsh if he did. Slater has been decent. He could go with Murray and Coulson on the wings and Stewart on the bench. Goldy might not be fully fit so misses out. I suppose it’s a good headache to have. 

On 28/07/2024 at 09:59, lichtie23 said:

I can’t see Spalding dropping out after 2 man of the match performances this week. Would certainly be very harsh if he did. Slater has been decent. He could go with Murray and Coulson on the wings and Stewart on the bench. Goldy might not be fully fit so misses out. I suppose it’s a good headache to have. 

Been thinking about this too - I really liked what I seen from Coulson, only one game but he always looked to take people on and make things happen and I know we had that with Hylton who was excellent but before him it would probably be Bobby that was the last player that really wanted to take the game to a full back

Maybe by getting him on the left a more solid right midfielder option would be the way to go by having Scotty Stewart out there.

Seen Stewart really over power and get the better of full backs in the Championship with his physicality and running but he has never played a game for us in L1 and I really think he could be a great attacking option this season. I always remember when we played Forfar in the Scottish Cup and you seen a totally different side to his game

Think you are right though in regard to 4-4-2 - go for it and try take game to them. Really excited about the thought of Gallagher and Reilly playing and after a limited pre season they both need minutes to get themselves up to full speed. 

McAdams 

Bisland

Watson

ToB

Wilkie

Stewart

Slater

Spalding

Coulson

Reilly

Gallagher

Mon.