Falkirk Vs Queens Park

Our defence against a decent side gives me the fear. Two right backs and a centre mid across a back three on Saturday. You can get away with that against part-time teams, but I can’t see it being anything other than a disaster against stronger sides. Ujdur might be available, but there’s no way he’ll be up to speed. We’re probably four bodies short of where we need to be and that’s not taking into account the injuries. I would bite your hand off for a point. 

With Lang and Nesbitt presumably still out, I'd be very surprised if we made any changes from Saturday:

Hogarth

Adams Donaldson Henderson Mackie

Spencer Tait

Morrison Oliver Miller

MacIver

Subs: Sneddon, McCann, McCrone, Yeats, McKenna, Ross, Agyeman, Walker, Shanley

3-1 Falkirk, goals from Morrison, Miller & MacIver. Rudden inevitably for Queens Park

Crowd 5,322

23 hours ago, Grumpy Soo-sider said:

I think it might be tighter than I originally thought.. I still think Queen's are in for another tough season but I have some hope we can improve on last years poor performance - despite losing our top goal scorer.

This could be heading for a draw. 2-2.

A season of two halves last year; the half of not being able to defend, followed by the half of only being able to score against Arbroath.  When Paton didn’t score last year it was seldom that anybody else did.  Rudden looks & plays a little like Simon Murray did, ie an imposing figure that will keep CB’s occupied and I dare say that whilst he might not score many, he’ll create the space for McGregor and a rejuvenated Turner & Thomas too.  

We had no outlet against Hibs and some of the resultant backs to the wall defending was poor.  Hoping CD goes with a back four and gives Mauchin a chance at RB, though more likely it’ll be a three, (if we have that many available), with Longridge at RWB.  

With the exception of Cove, teams that have been promoted from L1 have been pretty decent in their first Championship season and I’m sure Falkirk will be very comfortable this year.  Who knows which QP will turn up, (free scoring or leaky defence), but I’m quietly confident, (which is a long way from where I was a few weeks ago) and am hoping if I can make it, I’ll be there to watch a decent, potentially high scoring, narrow win for QP

Listened to the spiders talk podcast season preview in preparation for this one to get the blood flowing and it did not disappoint.

Playing a 5-3-2 against us with Longridge at right back would be a very risky strategy given our strengths out wide. As would flinging Udjur in from the start, I reckon he'd have started at Kelty if Davidson planned on starting him in this.

Few mental shouts like us having 'a bang average squad' and that we'd be quite happy to sit in and let you have the ball but Friday night shall hopefully be an eye opener.

14 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Listened to the spiders talk podcast season preview in preparation for this one to get the blood flowing and it did not disappoint.

Playing a 5-3-2 against us with Longridge at right back would be a very risky strategy given our strengths out wide. As would flinging Udjur in from the start, I reckon he'd have started at Kelty if Davidson planned on starting him in this.

Few mental shouts like us having 'a bang average squad' and that we'd be quite happy to sit in and let you have the ball but Friday night shall hopefully be an eye opener.

Fucking hell 😄

They didn't say that did they? Aye, we're well known for sitting back tbh. Especially against a side managed by a hobbit.

1 minute ago, Spider1975 said:

What's the deal with parking at the Falkirk Stadium, open to all and free or something else?

Parking in front of main stand permit holders only, can park at north stand at cost of £4 ( unless it’s gone up ).

26 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Personally speaking I don't think 5-3-2 / 3-5-2 either gets the best out of our squad, nor our best players on the pitch, but it became a necessity last year to get us out the hole Veldman and Beuker had  gotten us into.  If we went down that route on Friday it is more likely than not that Longridge would end up at RWB, which imho can leave him excessively exposed.  Udjur may get the nod more out of necessity given the lengthening CB injury crisis than anything else.

Despite the injuries, am fairly confident that the QP you'll face Friday are a different proposition to that you met last year.  Reckon Friday will be a good barometer for both sides.

Edited by Spider1975

6 minutes ago, Spider1975 said:

Despite the injuries, am fairly confident that the QP you'll face Friday are a different proposition to that you met last year.  Reckon Friday will be a good barometer for both sides.

Similarly, only maybe 4, possibly 5, of the team that started last season's match for us are likely to start again.  Hogarth, Donaldson and Henderson are perhaps the only definites.  Yeats and Oliver maybes depending on Adams and the fitness of Nesbitt. There was no Morrison, MacIver, Spencer, Nesbitt or Tait with Miller coming off the bench later on. 

Should be a good game!

34 minutes ago, Spider1975 said:

What's the deal with parking at the Falkirk Stadium, open to all and free or something else?

£5 in the north stand car park and open to anyone 

1 hour ago, FFC 1876 said:

"I think Falkirk had a Championship calibre squad last season"

"I think Falkirk will be absolutely fine this season"

"Falkirk probably have a more complete squad than us right now"

"I wonder if Falkirk will let us knock the ball around and then look to break at pace on the counter, which could be an issue" (a prediction I also shared doing the Falkirk Daft match preview).

Haven't even kicked a ball in the league yet and you're complaining that rival fans podcasts don't think the sun shines out your arse. Can't wait to properly get started on Friday.

Edited by Dave

2 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Fucking hell 😄

They didn't say that did they? Aye, we're well known for sitting back tbh. Especially against a side managed by a hobbit.

To be fair a hobbit with two cup final 🏆 🏆 

3 hours ago, Dave said:

"I think Falkirk had a Championship calibre squad last season"

"I think Falkirk will be absolutely fine this season"

"Falkirk probably have a more complete squad than us right now"

"I wonder if Falkirk will let us knock the ball around and then look to break at pace on the counter, which could be an issue" (a prediction I also shared doing the Falkirk Daft match preview).

Haven't even kicked a ball in the league yet and you're complaining that rival fans podcasts don't think the sun shines out your arse. Can't wait to properly get started on Friday.

Touchy one you are, merely pointing out the comments I thought were a bit wild. 

Your bang average teams getting pumped.

"Letting us just have the ball knocking it around a little bit and then try and break on us"

Will never understand why anyone cares what opposition fans think or don’t think about their side. For what it’s worth, I think Falkirk will be the stronger of the two sides promoted from the third tier.