Hearts vs Rangers (Full Metal Warfare)

I thought Hearts were excellent in spells today. Rangers look really average and there's no reason Hearts can't match their results - that should be the aim at this point in the season IMO.

As for Boateng he's still a work in progress but a classy midfielder with plenty potential. 3 year deal should see a decent fee received. I don't see Barron who played for Rangers a great deal ahead of him as a project.

Taylor at right back, what a talent. Not looking forward to Hearts visiting Dens next week that's for sure.

Thank You.

Really enjoyed that today an I think Hearts were good. Either side could have won it and a draw was the right result.

Need to caveat this with the understanding that Rangers are shite and I think other teams will take points off them too, but I think Hearts are showing real progress.

The start was right, when often against Rangers it hasn't been. We had intensity and put them on the back foot, which we have been poor at against the Old Firm for a long time. Felt we started today very similarly to the win over Celtic in March, so it's good to see this being a development of the team.

New players all did well, and with Hoff and Beni to come back into that midfield I think we're looking good. Cause for optimism.

2 hours ago, DukDukGoose said:

Hearts should be viewing that as two points dropped.

you could argue we did well, you could argue that we should have done better but ultimately ….

“regrets are a prison of our own making, but we own the key to our escape” (Seneca, ancient Roman stoic philosopher and secretary of Ancient Corsica HMSC)

Hearts should  be forgetting it entirely and thinking about Dundee

And I quite fancy our chances there

3 hours ago, SEETHING said:

I think the point about the "penalty" is that we're meant to see far fewer of those types of handball decisions given this season. 

For anybody thats been watchin Scottish football last 2 years , thats a penalty .. no doubt ..    today , its not ..  If that decision is consistant  throughout the season , then yep ..i think most fans would accept its a good thing ... VAR has set a standard .

17 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

There's very few instances where I'd ever accuse a player of just not fancying it but that's one. The medical team has looked at him for the past 15 minutes and decided he's fine then went down within 30 seconds of the restart to get subbed and then walking round the pitch completely fine.

He was getting dominated by Taylor and shat the bed and I can't be convinced otherwise.

Meanwhile, Clement is hopeful Oscar Cortes' injury "is not too serious" after the on-loan Lens winger was forced off four minutes after half-time.

"He fell down in a bad way with his knee, but he said at half-time that he was OK," the manager said. "With his first sprint, he shat it and we had to make a change."

Edited by SlipperyP

8 hours ago, SEETHING said:

I think the point about the "penalty" is that we're meant to see far fewer of those types of handball decisions given this season. 

And yet if it had hit a Hearts players arm …..

6 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

“regrets are a prison of our own making, but we own the key to our escape” (Seneca, ancient Roman stoic philosopher and secretary of Ancient Corsica HMSC)

Charles Hawtrey played him in Carry on Cleo iirc. I don't remember that line.

7 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

you could argue we did well, you could argue that we should have done better but ultimately ….

Hearts should  be forgetting it entirely and thinking about Dundee

And I quite fancy our chances there

I'm meaning it in the sense that rangers surely won't be that shit for the whole season.

1 hour ago, DukDukGoose said:

I'm meaning it in the sense that rangers surely won't be that shit for the whole season.

Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

I wouldn’t be so sure 😅

Edited by AJF

2 hours ago, 18May1991 said:

And yet if it had hit a Hearts players arm …..

Well, wasn't Collum explicit in his comments a week or so ago that they were going to raise the bar required for penalties this season?

Promising start, let's hope they keep it going.

1 hour ago, DukDukGoose said:

Both sides have plenty of scope for improvement 

With so many changes from last year that’s the first competitive game for that Hearts side. Their understanding of each other should improve over time 

12 hours ago, SEETHING said:

They weren’t being given in the Euros.  Take the fact it’s Rangers involved out of the equation and it’s never a penalty.  

It absolutely would have been given last season.  No question. 

Just now, Savage Henry said:

They weren’t being given in the Euros.  Take the fact it’s Rangers involved out of the equation and it’s never a penalty.  

It absolutely would have been given last season.  No question. 

Yeah; I'm not bothered about it. Proper Football People(tm) would say that it's not a penalty and should never have been a penalty, so let's just put last season's interpretation of the handball law in the bin and get on with it imo. 

57 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

I don't want a penalty for that and if that's a consistent improvement we see over the season then great.   Handball should have to be deliberate.

To be fair, very rarely is a  handball actually deliberate in any conventional sense of the word.   But yeah, I think not giving penalty kicks against players in Barron’s position is far preferable to giving for any use of the hand whatsoever- which is what was happening.  

2 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

To be fair, very rarely is a  handball actually deliberate in any conventional sense of the word.   But yeah, I think not giving penalty kicks against players in Barron’s position is far preferable to giving for any use of the hand whatsoever- which is what was happening.  

Handball is one of these things that is hard to actually define, but you know it when you see it. I mean in how I feel rather than th actual law.

Obviously it's rare for someone to actually punch or catch the ball, but we've all seen examples when a player has left an arm out when they didn't have to, or had a moment of madness and reached out to the ball. You know a handball when you see one.

Someone getting hit by a passing ball travelling at high speed from a few feet away while turning their body doesn't sit right with me. I think a player should only have a foul given against them when they've actually done something wrong. Having limbs isn't a crime.