Morton v Accies - Sat 10th August

First home game of the season for us. Going by reports we are coming off a decent performance and a well earned point at Partick. Hoping we can kick on and go one better with all 3 on Saturday. Can't imagine many changes to the starting 11.

Accies a bit of an unknown quantity for me. Made a few impressive signings up front but unsure of much else. No easy games in this league but I'll go for a home win by a goal or 2.

We're coming in to this game off the back of 3 Good/OK performances but have failed to win any of those games against Ayr, Raith and Ross County. The defence currently isn't good enough for this level however we have been unlucky with injuries Fergus Owens probably our best player is injured for the entire season our second best defender Jackson Longridge coming back from injury however he is still unavailable and at most he'll only make the bench for this game. Dylan McGowan out for 3 months and Lee Kilday also got injured on Saturday. Would be really ideal if we could have someone signed by the weekend we really should be starting to look at the loan market now as it is far too slow without Fergus. Another huge loss for this game is Scott Martin who got sent off on Saturday which will also make the midfield weaker for this game if we have a center half signed then we'll have Maguire in midfield if not then we will start Newbury.

I don't think Morton are amazing either and there's a few areas I think they look a bit weak as well if they start Broadfoot then we should have Shaw on him the full game however I still think this will be a really difficult game for both teams which will finish level Morton 1-1 Accies 

Edited by Ian Mcleod

40 minutes ago, Ian Mcleod said:

I don't think Morton are amazing either and there's a few areas I think they look a bit weak as well if they start Broadfoot then we should have Shaw on him the full game however I still think this will be a really difficult game for both teams which will finish level Morton 1-1 Accies 

Neither did 90% of our fan base until our change in performance away to Partick ( comparing that to our group performances ) so I’m more confident now of a decent season than I was couple of weeks ago, I’m broadfoots biggest critic but have to say he was better on Saturday with a few scary moments but overall both him and boyes kept Graham very quiet and limited Partick to minimal chances, that’s not to say he’s not capable of having a howler on Saturday 

1 hour ago, Ian Mcleod said:

We're coming in to this game off the back of 3 Good/OK performances but have failed to win any of those games against Ayr, Raith and Ross County. The defence currently isn't good enough for this level however we have been unlucky with injuries Fergus Owens probably our best player is injured for the entire season our second best defender Jackson Longridge coming back from injury however he is still unavailable and at most he'll only make the bench for this game. Dylan McGowan out for 3 months and Lee Kilday also got injured on Saturday. Would be really ideal if we could have someone signed by the weekend we really should be starting to look at the loan market now as it is far too slow without Fergus. Another huge loss for this game is Scott Martin who got sent off on Saturday which will also make the midfield weaker for this game if we have a center half signed then we'll have Maguire in midfield if not then we will start Newbury.

Lee Kilday still playing for you guys? I just assumed he'd chucked it!

5 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

Lee Kilday still playing for you guys? I just assumed he'd chucked it!

He's only 32 he always looked fairly comfortable last season in L1 but has certainly been found out a bit in the past few weeks scored a dreadful OG against Raith got injured on Saturday so I doubt we'll seeing him this weekend 

17 minutes ago, Ian Mcleod said:

He's only 32 he always looked fairly comfortable last season in L1 but has certainly been found out a bit in the past few weeks scored a dreadful OG against Raith got injured on Saturday so I doubt we'll seeing him this weekend 

Not as old as I thought. Last time I saw him play was 3 seasons ago for QP. Felt he was actually decent that day.

Team seems to be gelling the more games we play. Hope to see an improvement after every game.

Players adapting to the style of play and basically getting to know how each of them play.

Big improvements needed up front, but confident that will click too.

Still think we need another striker in the squad. 

No guarantees in this league and every game is hard, but will be disappointed if we don't rack up all 3 points  

Think Hamilton have good striking options but a back 2 of Kilday and McGinty looks weak as hell but they could say the same about us if Broadfoot starts.  I hope Baird is back in on Sat and Kirk finally benched.

Much improved on Sat, passed the ball about well, controlled a lot of the game and forced Partick to go long. 

If we play the same as we did on Sat, I'm confident we will be a bit more clinical at home and score a couple. The Jet will have another week of training under his belt which can only help us too. 

Dougie was confident Shaw would be back for the start of the season so hopefully he's not too far away either. Would like to think he will be a good option for us.

2-0.

Slight concern here is that the positive performance on Saturday might lull us/Imrie into thinking the 4-1-3-2 is the way to go, when in reality the result owed an awful lot to a genuinely outstanding performance by an individual player in the 'one' sitting role. There's a nagging feeling that this set-up depends too much on one player and we can't expect Wilson to be that good every week.

It may be that the set-up was designed specifically for Partick (after the roasting Robinson gave us up there last time) and we'll see maybe Gillespie come back in to give us a foot on the ball (and help Wilson) in the deeper areas. That would give Moffat, Lyall, and Crawford more license to press and to get closer to Jet when we have the ball.

If we do persist with 4-1-3-2, I wouldn't mind seeing Davies get a shot at the second forward role in place of Garrity; we lose Garrity's ability to go wide when we're in possession, but I'm pretty certain that's Davies' best position and, as has been said often enough, this team isn't overflowing with players who will score goals; worth a try, because he's never a centre-forward.

We really should be winning this... but I can't be the only Morton supporter who hates getting that feeling.

I’ll start to feel a bit better about our prospects this season if we win this, or at the very least continue on from the Partick game. As mentioned above, it’s not realistic for Wilson to maintain performance levels like that (as class as he is) but I’d be surprised to see Imrie putting in Blues or Gillespie at the moment.

On 06/08/2024 at 18:28, The Ghost of B A R P said:

If we do persist with 4-1-3-2, I wouldn't mind seeing Davies get a shot at the second forward role in place of Garrity; we lose Garrity's ability to go wide when we're in possession, but I'm pretty certain that's Davies' best position and, as has been said often enough, this team isn't overflowing with players who will score goals; worth a try, because he's never a centre-forward.

We really should be winning this... but I can't be the only Morton supporter who hates getting that feeling.

Davies has no best position, unless it's some sort of 'Welsh pub league position', with sandcastles, buckets and spades. 

There's no game that we 'should' be winning in this division right now - both teams will see this as a big indicator of how the rest of the season will go. I'm hopeful of a home win though. 

1 hour ago, vikingTON said:

Davies has no best position, unless it's some sort of 'Welsh pub league position', with sandcastles, buckets and spades. 

There's no game that we 'should' be winning in this division right now - both teams will see this as a big indicator of how the rest of the season will go. I'm hopeful of a home win though. 

Hamilton don’t have a defence, Scott Martin is suspended, and we’re at home; we really should be winning this game.

I have my doubts about Davies, but I’ll hold fire until I’ve seen him once or twice playing off the striker; that’s the only way of salvaging the two-year deal he’s on… unless we go down the tried and tested route of agreeing a pay-off and reinvesting the saving, which I know you’re a big fan of…

I reckon the main motivation behind the 4-1-3-2 was needing someone up with JET to do his running for him, a largely thankless task that Garrity nevertheless stuck to well, also at times dropping back to the wing to make it 4-1-4-1 when Partick had sustained spells of possession. From the little we've seen so far, awareness out of possession is probably Davies' biggest weakness (no big surprise when you consider the level he was playing at) so I'd be sceptical of him replacing Garrity.

I have been working a lot in the  Gourock and Port Glasgow area this week and the weather has been rough to say the least. Anyone got an idea how the pitch is holding up, imagine it will be pretty heavy but playable?

53 minutes ago, Beckford said:

I have been working a lot in the  Gourock and Port Glasgow area this week and the weather has been rough to say the least. Anyone got an idea how the pitch is holding up, imagine it will be pretty heavy but playable?

Pitch will be fine.  The problem is usually outside the ground on the roads etc if there's an abnormal amount of rain, and for Inverclyde that needs to be a helluva lot of rain.

Game day. Listening to Dougie's pre match interview he doesn't really give much away at all. Assuming its going to be similar availability to last week. An update on Nathan Shaw would be good.

Can't exactly remember how we lined up. Was it a 4132 or a 4141

Mullen

Ballantyne Broaders Boyes Delaney

Wilson

Crawford Lyall Moffat Garrity

JET.    

Bench - Woods, Baird, King, O'Boy, Blues, Gillespie, Reynolds, Davies.

Would still like to see another defender in to cover for Corr and a central midfielder to really challenge and help Shug. Another striker would be nice too but I think that's us done in that department.

2 hours ago, Mr.Blue said:

Game day. Listening to Dougie's pre match interview he doesn't really give much away at all. Assuming its going to be similar availability to last week. An update on Nathan Shaw would be good.

Can't exactly remember how we lined up. Was it a 4132 or a 4141

Mullen

Ballantyne Broaders Boyes Delaney

Wilson

Crawford Lyall Moffat Garrity

JET.    

Bench - Woods, Baird, King, O'Boy, Blues, Gillespie, Reynolds, Davies.

Would still like to see another defender in to cover for Corr and a central midfielder to really challenge and help Shug. Another striker would be nice too but I think that's us done in that department.

Was at physio last week who’s also the Morton physio he was saying Shaw has a hamstring issue and still in the recovery process so honestly no clue how long he’ll be out for but he was signed knowing fine well he was injured which is a bit strange considering dales injury talk on his interview

on the formation Looked like a 4141 against Partick but I would like to see Davies playing with Jet at some point filling in that 10 position he played in wales were he got most of his G/A from feeling he just needs that goal to give him some confidence to push on hoping it comes today for him