Ross County v Dundee United - 10/08/24

Just now, Alert Mongoose said:

Quite similar to Murray. A downgrade or much the same?

More goals, more tricks, less work outside the box is my initial impression.  He’s an out and out 9, and I wouldn’t really describe Murray as that.   

2 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

More goals, more tricks, less work outside the box is my initial impression.  He’s an out and out 9, and I wouldn’t really describe Murray as that.   

Fair play.  I think Murray is more of a pest but the lad was in the right place at the right time so that counts for something.

Edited by Alert Mongoose

1-1 probably fair.

Tactically awful in the first half but much better in the 2nd.

Central midfield seems like the weak area but it was vastly improved with Sevelj in there,

Holt is a player some fans seem to want to do badly to justify always hoping he's dropped, but he was pretty good. Yeah, he played a part in their goal but so did about 4 others.

10 minutes ago, SGMilne said:

1-1 probably fair.

Tactically awful in the first half but much better in the 2nd.

Central midfield seems like the weak area but it was vastly improved with Sevelj in there,

Holt is a player some fans seem to want to do badly to justify always hoping he's dropped, but he was pretty good. Yeah, he played a part in their goal but so did about 4 others.

Nothing against Holt but he was more culpable for the goal than others.  I really hope that the new lad is just taking some time to settle in.

Edited by Alert Mongoose
Drunk

Second verse, same as the first?

Draw probably fair. And in a vacuum going through the Derby and a difficult trip to a side who are good at home and remaining unbeaten while the squad finds it's feet isnt objectively terrible. Lot of potential, lot of room for players to grow and a lot of talent clearly there. Trap and Ferry in particular look like absolute quality.

But after the Dees got a bit of help last week and this week it's ∞ injury time until County nick a goal its hugely frustrating to not have 6 points. I get we could have had 0 if we somehow had even worse luck but hard to see it that way just yet.

A lot of how we view these two games will change in a fortnight. If we beat StJ and take 5 from 3 it's a positive start. 3 from 3 or God forbid 2 and we may regret not beating the teams who might be around us at the end of the year.

Just now, Ascal said:

Second verse, same as the first?

Draw probably fair. And in a vacuum going through the Derby and a difficult trip to a side who are good at home and remaining unbeaten while the squad finds it's feet isnt objectively terrible. Lot of potential, lot of room for players to grow and a lot of talent clearly there. Trap and Ferry in particular look like absolute quality.

But after the Dees got a bit of help last week and this week it's ∞ injury time until County nick a goal its hugely frustrating to not have 6 points. I get we could have had 0 if we somehow had even worse luck but hard to see it that way just yet.

A lot of how we view these two games will change in a fortnight. If we beat StJ and take 5 from 3 it's a positive start. 3 from 3 or God forbid 2 and we may regret not beating the teams who might be around us at the end of the year.

Get used to the injury time unfortunately - it’s not limited to Utd - it’s every f**king game.

I only caught the last 25 mins or so but in that time I saw Sevelj, Odada and many others timewasting after challenges - they are right on top of it now unfortunately. 

Just now, Der Panzer said:

Get used to the injury time unfortunately - it’s not limited to Utd - it’s every f**king game.

Yeah maybe. And whether it's 7 or 17 mins we should still be able to hold out. It's not an excuse there's just something frustrating about a 95th minute goal in a game where there isn't a long stoppage for a player stretchered off or a 10 minute VAR break.

I think the 7 minutes comes from the umpteen substitutions, and some United players being a bit too “professional” as far as time keeping was concerned.

Overall a fair result, United rubbish in first half, County rubbish in second.

An absolutely dreadful miss at the start of the game. I was worried that was the start of perhaps one way traffic towards our goal, but fair play to county we didn’t let it phase us and we dominated the rest of the first half.

Second half we were poor and it didn’t look like we would recover after losing the goal. 
Credit to Don for going three up top and it was a huge relief to snatch the draw at the very end.

I have seen some moaning about the additional 7 minutes. Lots of subs and I think the game was stopped 3 times due to injuries so it was a fair amount of time added on.

I was impressed by some of Wrights tackling and defending.

Finally to the United fans singing ‘we are top of the league and your no’. May I suggest when defending a slim lead wait till full time in future before singing it. How I enjoyed the silence when Hale scored 

Edited by silver

1 minute ago, silver said:

An absolutely dreadful miss at the start of the game. I was worried that was the start of perhaps one way traffic towards our goal, but fair play to county we didn’t let it phase us and we dominated the rest of the first half.

Second half we were poor and it didn’t look like we would recover after losing the goal. 
Credit to Don for going three up top and it was a huge relief to snatch the draw at the very end.

I have seen some moaning about the additional 7 minutes. Lots of subs and I think the game was stopped 3 times due to injuries so it was a fair amount of time added in.

I was impressed by some of Wrights tackling and defending.

Finally to the United fans singing ‘we are top of the league and your no’. May I suggest when defending a slim lead wait till full time in future before singing it. How I enjoyed the silence when Hale scored 

Getting points from losing position is usually the opposite of what we do. 

7 second half subs at Hampden but with the Rangers only having a narrow lead 2 minutes of stoppage time was all that was needed. I thought 7 minutes was a bit much but the frustrating thing for fans is the lack of consistency in these things. 

Draw a fair result in the end. 

Goodwin didn't seem happy when the 7 minutes stoppage time was displayed, but bloody hell it was at least that due to the "injuries", yes I know every team is at it.

Team a work in progress, but thought we looked good in spells in the 1st half. Loturi imo deservedly dropped, we looked more connected moving forward, he dithers and loses possession or ends our momentum too often.

Didn't get going at all in the 2nd but a great ending, well done Alex Samuel and Hale, who looks a great signing. 

26 minutes ago, StuartTaylor said:

Goodwin didn't seem happy when the 7 minutes stoppage time was displayed, but bloody hell it was at least that due to the "injuries", yes I know every team is at it.

Yeah that's fair enough. I was expecting around 6 minutes considering the amount of substitutions and stoppages, and to be fair I think a few were genuine. It's on us that we couldn't hold on. 

1 minute ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

I'll say this big man, well done on your plucky point, but you've got to be doing better against the dross.

Thank you.

Content with the big man tag. 

Thank you. 

A few points:

1. The seven minutes came from 3-4 prolonged injury episodes (who's to say whether they were legit or not, but they chewed up the clock) + multiple subsitutions and a free kick every 30 seconds from a very whistle happy ref.

2. I don't think I've ever seen a game the so completely encapsulates the "game of two halves" cliche. It was genuinely like the teams switched shirts rather than ends.

3. Ronan Hale looks like he's real, genuine quality, and plays with a sheer joy/confidence that is most un-County like, and most welcome. 

4. I have hopes that Samuels and Hale is the new Boyce and Curran. 

5. I'm sorry, but it's not working for Brophy, I don't know why, and I don't know what he can do differently, but the penalty miss felt like a final marker.

6. I like Wright. He's got great timing for a last minute tackle, he's solid in the air, and will get a goal or two from corners in due course I hope.

7. Why is Efete getting played as a wingback when he's clearly in nosebleed territory when expected to do anything creative? The difference when Brown came on was significant. 

That's the top of the head stuff for now.