Ross County v Dundee United - 10/08/24

11 hours ago, Rosscubed said:

A few points:

1. The seven minutes came from 3-4 prolonged injury episodes (who's to say whether they were legit or not, but they chewed up the clock) + multiple subsitutions and a free kick every 30 seconds from a very whistle happy ref.

2. I don't think I've ever seen a game the so completely encapsulates the "game of two halves" cliche. It was genuinely like the teams switched shirts rather than ends.

3. Ronan Hale looks like he's real, genuine quality, and plays with a sheer joy/confidence that is most un-County like, and most welcome. 

4. I have hopes that Samuels and Hale is the new Boyce and Curran. 

5. I'm sorry, but it's not working for Brophy, I don't know why, and I don't know what he can do differently, but the penalty miss felt like a final marker.

6. I like Wright. He's got great timing for a last minute tackle, he's solid in the air, and will get a goal or two from corners in due course I hope.

7. Why is Efete getting played as a wingback when he's clearly in nosebleed territory when expected to do anything creative? The difference when Brown came on was significant. 

That's the top of the head stuff for now.

Can't argue with any of that, although I was quite encouraged to see Brophy and Hale line up together yesterday. I'm still hopeful Brophy finds some fitness and form this season, cause he's an asset when he's at the top of his game.

2 minutes ago, central staggie said:

Can't argue with any of that, although I was quite encouraged to see Brophy and Hale line up together yesterday. I'm still hopeful Brophy finds some fitness and form this season, cause he's an asset when he's at the top of his game.

Not sure Cowie will see it that way.  I’d be astonished if It isn’t Samuels and Hale next week.  

Brophy only looks interested if he’s scoring.  Yet again yesterday he looked as if he doesn’t want to be there.  

He has as much ability as anyone at the club, but look at what Murray did with his work rate.   

41 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Not sure Cowie will see it that way.  I’d be astonished if It isn’t Samuels and Hale next week.  

Brophy only looks interested if he’s scoring.  Yet again yesterday he looked as if he doesn’t want to be there.  

He has as much ability as anyone at the club, but look at what Murray did with his work rate.   

Strikers tend to enjoy playing more when they're scoring - that's what they're there for after all.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating playing him simply because he's been a decent player in the past. However, if he can stay injury free and find a bit of form then I'd be quite encouraged to see him and Hale together.

52 minutes ago, central staggie said:

Brophy has scored 8 in 41 (all comps) for us. He had a hopeful loan spell season before last, but otherwise there is absolutely nothing he shows to say he should be even at this level anymore. Work rate is horrendous and spends all game, every game, pulling his shorts up. I personally think the best thing for all parties is if he left, but given we paid a decent fee for him, realistically that isn’t going to happen…

Samuel isn't the answer either, however. I am delighted he got the assist yesterday, but until then he was getting nothing out of the defenders. I think it was September vs Hearts when Samuel last started and he was - correctly - hooked at half-time. He's proved to be a useful sub when the team is piling forward, but against Premiership defenders he's not able to lead the attack.

Ross MacIver at Falkirk is currently levels above Samuel and Brophy, I'd love to have him back.

Edited by bunglebonce

17 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Shades of Peter van Vossen.  It’s an awful miss.  

Couldn’t quite work out just how bad it was from where I was sitting, but having watched the highlights last that, it’s an incredible miss.

Also, that’s twice in successive matches that Nightingale has been caught out like that and has been very fortunate to get away with it, you have to question if he has been rushed back into the side having missed a large part of preseason.

Edited by Staggie_93

20 minutes ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

Very impressed with Hale yesterday, in the nicest possible way he's an absolute nuisance. Doesn't seem lacking in confidence either. He'll do very well I think.

Makes a heck of a difference from “I’d have kept him but surprised he got a club at your level”, which is the usual reaction to our signings.  

2 hours ago, bunglebonce said:

Samuel isn't the answer either, however. I am delighted he got the assist yesterday, but until then he was getting nothing out of the defenders. I think it was September vs Hearts when Samuel last started and he was - correctly - hooked at half-time. He's proved to be a useful sub when the team is piling forward, but against Premiership defenders he's not able to lead the attack.

Ross MacIver at Falkirk is currently levels above Samuel and Brophy, I'd love to have him back.

The release of Ross MacIver remains one of the truly absurd decisions made by the club. He was all but pushed out the door and I know that one former senior player was furious about how the lad was treated. He left as a youngster with substantial potential and is going some way in realising it. Given that we spaff money all over the place it's incomprehensible that we didn't feel it was logical to see a local lad through his development and become a valuable asset.

1 hour ago, Steve Carrella said:

The release of Ross MacIver remains one of the truly absurd decisions made by the club. He was all but pushed out the door and I know that one former senior player was furious about how the lad was treated. He left as a youngster with substantial potential and is going some way in realising it. Given that we spaff money all over the place it's incomprehensible that we didn't feel it was logical to see a local lad through his development and become a valuable asset.

Aye, pleased it's worked out for Ross at Falkirk but it's disappointing how few chances he actually got in the first team before being let go

5 hours ago, bunglebonce said:

This may be factually correct, but I'm now emotionally invested in the Samuel redemption meta-narrative. Craig Curran was nothing special on paper either, but for half a season, the connection with Boyce was much more than the sum of the parts (from CC side anyhow). I have hope/belief that we'll get that football fairytale this season. Don't crush my dreams (at least before not before Christmas)

6 hours ago, StoneThrowAway said:

Brophy has scored 8 in 41 (all comps) for us. He had a hopeful loan spell season before last, but otherwise there is absolutely nothing he shows to say he should be even at this level anymore. Work rate is horrendous and spends all game, every game, pulling his shorts up. I personally think the best thing for all parties is if he left, but given we paid a decent fee for him, realistically that isn’t going to happen…

Not a great record, but then his fitness has been an issue since he signed with us permanently. Part of that is on him, of course. That might explain his work rate - or lack of it.

I still hope there's a player there that Don can get the best out of this season, cause you're right - he's here for a while yet.