The WSC League Two questionaire

As someone started this in the Championship Forum we might as well do it here. It's based on the Season Review questions in the half decent football magazine When Saturday Comes*

Spoiler

*who always boycott MK Dons and don't ask questions about them but do ask questions for the equally controversially moved from their original base Livingston FC whenever they are a top division club. Rant over. 

Edinburgh City

How will you do?

Moving swiftly on... mind you as one of our fans says you only have to win two games all season- the play off ones at the end! 

What was the best moment of last season?

Surviving to the end. The home bake sale cakes. Nearly beating the "invincibles" Falkirk at home. 

What was the worst moment of last season?

Finding all those unpaid bills down the back of the sofa after the last board said they'd left us debt free. That last minute dodgy penalty decision against the "invincibles"

What was the one act by the club or any individual that most affected how you did last season?

The previous board's running of the club meaning we had to field the U20s and a couple of other journeymen for the second half of the season. Michael McIndoe managing to get a team out every week was praiseworthy in itself. 

If you had to come up with a new piece of merchandise to sell at your club shop, what would it be?
Scale Replicas of the old mighty Meadowbank floodlights would light up any living room (and blind the neighbours)

Stirling Albion

- How will you do?

Genuinely hard to say this season. The turn over of players have been huge and a lot of the signings are young players from Full Time Development Teams, who have Lowland League experience. That move can go either way. I look at what we have senior wise and we look good, a lot of our senior players could play for any team at this level. Keep them fit, and some of the youngsters continue their early form and we could push for the Play Offs, get injuries and loss of form, and the well known players have a poor season , we could finish 8th as the squad is so thin. I’ll go somewhere in the middle and say we’ll finish 6th but play some good football over the season. 

- What was the best moment of last season?

The early season form in general, but the 4-0 win at St.Johnstone will live in the memory for a long long time. What a day.

- What was the worst moment of last season?

From November onwards haha. Simply the last game of the season. A must win against Annan and we looked meek and uninterested. It was the real point of realisation on what we had actually blown over the last few months of the campaign and after that match, I knew that no matter how poor or good Dumbarton would be in the Play Offs, we would be going back down to League 2 as that squad had lost all that was good about it and had given up and were so badly out of form that relegation was inevitable.

- What was the one act by the club or any individual that most affected how you did last season?

Although I backed him until the end and thought he deserved another season. I still think Darren Young’s loyalty to a number of players was our undoing. Apart from 1, re-signing all the League 2 winning squad was a baffling move when we limped over the line and a lot of the fringe players just didn’t look up to it. I think this move had a massive affect on how we did, and Darren’s loyalty in doing this and over the course of the season was what cost us and probably what cost him his job.

- If you had to come up with a new piece of merchandise to sell at your club shop, what would it be?

Our merchandise has been tired for years, but it looks like things are picking up this season so long may it continue. There’s more than one piece that I would like to see, a good car sticker would be welcomed as would beach towels but better everything would be great (with the exception of the new stock, which are brilliant).

1 hour ago, BB_Bino said:

- What was the one act by the club or any individual that most affected how you did last season?

Although I backed him until the end and thought he deserved another season. I still think Darren Young’s loyalty to a number of players was our undoing. Apart from 1, re-signing all the League 2 winning squad was a baffling move when we limped over the line and a lot of the fringe players just didn’t look up to it. I think this move had a massive affect on how we did, and Darren’s loyalty in doing this and over the course of the season was what cost us and probably what cost him his job.

100% this. 

Dropping the excellent Euan Wilson (now a starter in the Premiership) when the beyond average Cammy Clark was fit again and hardly playing Molotnikov (oh look, also a Prem starter now) due to keeping his favourites in the team was utterly inexcusable. Offord also looked to have something about him and had to do with the odd start here and there, and the less said about the treatment for Josh Cooper the better. Those are four players, who if playing week in-week out had the requisite pace, skill and drive to keep us up. But no, Lewis Milne, Kieran Moore and an horrendously out of form Dale Hilson were all better options according to Young. I was a big fan of Darren's tenure at the club, but when you look back at the last 6 months, he really did make a monumental arse of it. 

Stirling Albion (just to add too BB's post)

- How will you do?

Like BB, I've absolutely no idea. Huge turnover in playing staff, and an awful lot of new players. A lot will depend on how the experienced lads do. We need Carrick, Milne, Hilson, Davidson (if he ever comes back) and Kerr to really step up to the plate. Carrick looks good again early doors, and Kerr had a great debut. Midfield is a concern right now, and we need proper cover at left back. All in all, I think we'll try our best but probably just fall short of the playoffs. 6th. 

The St Johnstone game was good, but it was clear they were hardly trying, so for me it was the game in the knockouts of the LC, vs Aberdeen at Forthbank. A full house, and a great battling performance against a good Prem side. A disputed penalty decision away from taking them to extra time. Forthbank is such a great wee ground when it's full.  Less said about what happened in our next match, the better though...

Not being able to score v Dumbarton in the playoffs at home in what was such a meek performance was awful, but for me, a few weeks earlier, losing 5-1 at home to Alloa signalled the end. That's the point the players simply gave up. We hardly kicked a ball after this. 

See my response to BB's post above. I would also point to the season ending injury for Ross Davidson just when it finally looked as though he was a real asset for us  after a tough start. Our midfield was never the same after this. Lewis Milne has so much talent, but he's the laziest player I've seen in years and was ultimately a massive disappointment. 

- If you had to come up with a new piece of merchandise to sell at your club shop, what would it be?

A Darren Young voodoo doll 🤣

Edited by StewartyMac

7 hours ago, StewartyMac said:

100% this. 

Dropping the excellent Euan Wilson (now a starter in the Premiership) when the beyond average Cammy Clark was fit again and hardly playing Molotnikov (oh look, also a Prem starter now) due to keeping his favourites in the team was utterly inexcusable. Offord also looked to have something about him and had to do with the odd start here and there, and the less said about the treatment for Josh Cooper the better. Those are four players, who if playing week in-week out had the requisite pace, skill and drive to keep us up. But no, Lewis Milne, Kieran Moore and an horrendously out of form Dale Hilson were all better options according to Young. I was a big fan of Darren's tenure at the club, but when you look back at the last 6 months, he really did make a monumental arse of it. 

aye it all got a bit weird didn't it. 

Euan Wilson looked good and offered a lot more as a left midfielder than Milne was at the time but couldn't get much of a look in.  Molotnikov looked a shadow of the player he looks this season. Cooper couldn't get a start even when scoring 30 minute hat tricks as a sub. Offord seemed to suffer from the collective lack of confidence as the season ended. Add playing a clearly completely unfit Dale Carrick in the last few games to the list as well. 

i too was a huge fan but he didn't half make some odd decisions the last six months. 

Stirling Albion (just to add too BB's post)

- How will you do?

Nobody knows. it could be a playoff challenge or relegation battle. i suspect somewhere in the middle. in the hunt for the last playoff place but ultimately fall short. 

Aberdeen game was good. my personal favourite was the 2-2 draw at home to Hamilton. Kyle Banner's equaliser in front of the South Terrace (we saw so few goals at that end) was a cracking move and it was really satisfying to hold a full time team challenging for promotion to a draw.

so may to choose from. the two home Alloa games were probably the worst two home performances but the Annan and Dumbarton games at the end were heart breaking.

Darren Young's poor decisions and Ross Davidson's injury are definitely the favourites  i still have nightmares about Lewis Milne missing a practically open goal with a header against Cove which would have put us 3-1 up and we ended up conceding a last minute equaliser. 

A binos themed bucket and spade with sand included to honour Derek Gaston

Stirling Albion

How will you do?

5th

What was the best moment of last season?

Kelty 5-0

What was the worst moment of last season?

Alloa at home twice, Falkirk, Hamilton away twice.

What was the one act by the club or any individual that most affected how you did last season?

The still unexplained last 6 months culminating in half the squad having a late night/early morning bender after the Annan game and before the play offs. Still looked hungover at Dumbarton.

If you had to come up with a new piece of merchandise to sell at your club shop, what would it be?

Motivational audio books from @Beepee67 (for the fans more than players). Let's Go!

4 hours ago, WattersIsGod said:

i still have nightmares about Lewis Milne missing a practically open goal with a header against Cove which would have put us 3-1 up and we ended up conceding a last minute equaliser

Actually, the 2nd away game at Cove was also the stuff of nightmares. I was standing round close to the dugouts when McGregor and Currie got into a faff to make it 4-2 to them in a game in which we were the better team. I remember Jack Leitch, who was sitting on a stool in front of the bench,  just turning round to look at us with a look of utter exasperation on his face. Should have known then Alloa were going to spank us the week after. 

6 hours ago, WattersIsGod said:

aye it all got a bit weird didn't it. 

Euan Wilson looked good and offered a lot more as a left midfielder than Milne was at the time but couldn't get much of a look in.  Molotnikov looked a shadow of the player he looks this season. Cooper couldn't get a start even when scoring 30 minute hat tricks as a sub. Offord seemed to suffer from the collective lack of confidence as the season ended. Add playing a clearly completely unfit Dale Carrick in the last few games to the list as well. 

i too was a huge fan but he didn't half make some odd decisions the last six months. 

DY should never had that very public contract extension in January. One of the Fubar Five (KO), stated after the Annan game he couldn't give a F what happened in the play-offs as he wouldn't be here next season. Anyway, forward with Maybury 🇵🇪

Binos 

How will you do 

4th 

What was the best moment from last season 

Callum Crane's debut & goal followed by a soft sending off at Montrose, we played last 30 mins with 10 men but the team were amazing & atmosphere in the stands was one of the best away days since Stenny away 

What was the worst moment from last season 

jeezo.... started for me with Kelty away whilst on a good run, & Spenny got injured, so Josh Cooper did a horrible tackle in the middle of the park which he got sent off for (rightly so) & we went on to lose to a last minute goal,, horrible run ensued,, continued to pick Lewis Milne even though he was honkin,, a player who just didn't have bottle or hunger,, kept Ewan Wilson on the bench which was a real shame,, BC's shocking howler at Annan which cost us a point,, Jojo up at Cove,, & how weak we were against Annan last game of the season & Dumbarton in the playoffs...still hurts 

What was the one act by the club or any individual that most affected how you did last season 

DY's refusal to make subs when the game needed it & far to loyal to Milne and Hilson who i think because he signed them he had to justify their inclusion which hurt the team 

If you had to come up with a new piece of merchandise to sell at your club shop,what would it be?

Cotton wool to wrap Ross Davidson up in once he's back & match fit (how we miss him in the middle of the park IMO) 

I know last season has gone,, but that was really tough at the end how we just went down in a whimper,, thing's didn't seem right in the dressing room,, lack of trust shown by the manager & too loyal,, was hard to take..

But it's gone now,, it's a new era,, new squad,, new beginning,, the good thing is the sqaud has no scars , it's practically a full rebuild & a new gaffer,, i like his transparency, attitude & excellent communication, it helps the young lads to feel relaxed & brave on the ball, they are all keen,, a few good signings & I'm more optimistic than i was 4 weeks ago..  Saturday was a gritty performance, it was all about the 3 points & from practically nothing 4 weeks ago we have a victory to start,, that can only be good for the lads,, I'm looking forward to Saturdays again,, seeing the binos & workrate & desire once they cross the white line,, it's all we ask,, don't be afraid to want the ball,, it's a team effort on & off the park including the supporters... so with that i think we will make the playoffs this year & who knows what might happen 🤔 

WHY NOT US... C'mon the binos 🇵🇪  💪