Scotland squad to face Poland (H) and Portugal (A)

The Keeper situation is dire.
Gauld I am not sure about. The MLS is a donkey league. I don't care what anyone says.
He will get a backing though. 

Just now, Lyle Lanley said:

I’d honestly start Johnston over Ralston at right back. 

I would too, I loved him at the 'Well but I think his game time is very limited. I did have a mate who told me he'd played more minutes than Ralston last season though. Didn't fact check him but MJ played very little. 

4 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

The Keeper situation is dire.
Gauld I am not sure about. The MLS is a donkey league. I don't care what anyone says.
He will get a backing though. 

Agree with the first bit (goalkeeping coaches should hang their heads...nothing of great note has come through in nearly 20 years....and little prospect of anyone emerging soon I suspect)

Don't agree with second part...MLS is a far higher standard than SPFL

I can't not commend him for bringing in some new faces and leaving out longstanding members of the team who have not found clubs. Armstrong etc. I would of preferred him to of at least brought in Doig over Taylor. 

Now the real question is whether he changes the formation, I think he had to given the lack of CB's in the squad, which isin't helped by Hendry being injured

That’s the weakest squad in a long time.

Hamstrung with injuries/retirements to an extent, we have a just about passable XI with 0 off the bench.

Not sure I’ve seen anything from Gauld to suggest he warrants a call up in all seriousness, a couple of goals in a league Chris Mueller excelled in doesn’t give me much hope.

Would have liked to have seen Miller/Watson in there instead.

A first XI of;

Gunn

Johnston Porteous Hanley Robertson

Gilmour McGinn McTominay

Doak/Forrest     Adams            Christie

Is where I would go, but there’s not a single player on the bench I have any confidence that should be knocking on the door to start, obviously Ferguson/Tierney come in when fit and we’ve lost McGregor but we’re certainly a lot weaker than we’ve been.

2 hours ago, Londonwell said:

I think Miller being called up now would be very good for Motherwell, that’s about it. You’ve said not seen him play, so this is a particularly strange hill for you to die on.

The Wales comparison really doesn’t wash either. They rode the Ramsay and Bale train as long as they could and are now back to being pish. What Scotland wouldn’t give for two players like that but the reason we don’t have them isn’t because we don’t ’fast-track’ players. They were two generational talents and we  simply haven’t produced anyone like that. 

This line about fast-tracking is trotted out but it really doesn’t stand up to any scrutiny. We would still have the same player pool at our disposal even if historically we were filling the squad with younger players who weren’t as good as the player in front of them in the queue. 

Like I've said previously, i'm not specifically talking about Miller. What I am saying is that we don't tend to integrate any teenagers into the national setup like other countries do, usually we wait until they are at least 20 before they get in.

Lets say If someone like Miller has the talent (which other posters seem to rate him enough to include him) then I think it would aid his development training with better players and Miller can have an insight of the level he needs to get to to make it internationally.

Very dismissive to write off Wales as basically a two man team considering they got to the later stages of tournament football beating some big teams along the way which is an amazing achievement. There squad had a sprinkling of good players in each position with many of them starting their international careers at a young age. 

I'll give you another example in Spain then... a country absolutely blessed with talent all over the park where there is absolutely no need to thrown in 16, 17 year old etcs (Gavi, Yamal, Pino, etc) but they choose to do so anyway. They're obviously playing at a higher level and good players even that age but the idea remains, the sooner you introduce talented Scottish youth players to a higher level then they will develop quicker and better.

Fast tracking is about the future squads, getting our best young players prepared, very simple to understand...

Fair play to him for bringing in some fresh blood, it would be good if Johnston and Doak played from the start next week and we at least get more of a look at the likes of Gauld and Conway over the two games.

With regards to the 3-5-2 dilemma, I think its time to move on from that, unless Tierney plays a season of say 35 games (never going to happen) we need to move to something more progressive. 

Agree on the keeper dilemma, what tends to get lost with how poor we were at the euros is just how much Gunn shat his pants in the opening game, made a couple of errors which you should just not see at that level. 

So Robby McCrorie, Johnston, Souttar, Gauld, Doak and Dykes in; Kelly, Ross McCrorie, Cooper, Hendry, Tierney, McGregor, Jack and Armstrong out.

We obviously knew about McGregor and Tierney will be back when fit.

Don't think Cooper and Armstrong are necessarily gone for good but no way they could be picked for this squad with both being clubless. At 32 they might genuinely be done though, and with how many much of a muchness centre backs we have Cooper is an obvious candidate to phase out. Jack is in the same clubless 32 year old boat but it feels much less likely to ever see him back in, as you'd expect the other two to find clubs at a higher level.

You're swapping third choice goalkeepers for one getting more game time and the same with fourth choice right backs - none of Johnston/McCrorie/Ralston are making it when Hickey and Patterson are fit, but at least Johnston has potential to possibly go on and become a regular in future when that's never going to happen with McCrorie and Ralston.

Doak would have been at the Euros instead of Morgan if fit and Dykes would obviously have been there as well. With the number of midfielders who were deservedly ahead of him dropping out it's fair enough giving Gauld a chance now. Miller and/or Watson could be coming in now but it's not a wild shout to have Gauld ahead of them just now, and there's a fair argument that Morgan or Forrest could be the one to make way instead of Gauld if you were wanting to include one of them.

Hendry is the interesting one. The most obvious answer is that he's injured, but if not is he the centre back being culled for a move to a back four, as reward for playing in a league that's even more of a joke than the level Gauld and Morgan are at? Most likely the former though considering Souttar didn't make the Euros.

Edited by Dunning1874

I'm a bit meh re Gauld - it's amazing how brilliant players are when they don't play. Good luck to the lad though. What worries me more is when you take a good look at the squad its clear we are on the same course to play exactly as we've done under Clarke for several years. Its like we've learned nothing from the past two embarrassing Euro appearances. I know we don't have an abundance of players to choose from but let's face it very few of our regulars are world class in any case. What depresses me more is our ever predictable (archaic) approach to international football. What we are looking at here is more of the same and I genuinely don't think it needs to be that way.

6 minutes ago, Butters Scotch said:

Like I've said previously, i'm not specifically talking about Miller. What I am saying is that we don't tend to integrate any teenagers into the national setup like other countries do, usually we wait until they are at least 20 before they get in.

Lets say If someone like Miller has the talent (which other posters seem to rate him enough to include him) then I think it would aid his development training with better players and Miller can have an insight of the level he needs to get to to make it internationally.

Very dismissive to write off Wales as basically a two man team considering they got to the later stages of tournament football beating some big teams along the way which is an amazing achievement. There squad had a sprinkling of good players in each position with many of them starting their international careers at a young age. 

I'll give you another example in Spain then... a country absolutely blessed with talent all over the park where there is absolutely no need to thrown in 16, 17 year old etcs (Gavi, Yamal, Pino, etc) but they choose to do so anyway. They're obviously playing at a higher level and good players even that age but the idea remains, the sooner you introduce talented Scottish youth players to a higher level then they will develop quicker and better.

Fast tracking is about the future squads, getting our best young players prepared, very simple to understand...

Yes and Wales have went back to being pish as Bale, Ramsay and to a lesser degree Joe Allen have phased out. Using Spain as a comparison is laughable, we are not  producing young players the quality of Yamal, Gavi and Pedri, who anyone with eyes can see potential greatness in and are ideal prospects for fast tracking. What you've done here is actually defeat your own argument with this response, which is somewhat ironic. 

Posted (edited)

Credit where it’s due to Clarke he has looked to freshen up a bit here with 8 of the 26 from the euros not making it. 

Two of those are enforced with Tierney’s injury and McGregor hanging up his boots but of the other six, Jack Hendry and Ross McCrorie are dropped, Liam Kelly pays the price for an unambitious move to sit on the bench at Ibrox and the trio of 32 year olds Liam Cooper, Ryan Jack and Stuart Armstrong are all done at international level unless they find themselves a new club and start performing ASAP.

Six new faces to replace them (squad is two smaller than the euros). Lyndon Dykes and John Souttar walk back in unsurprisingly. Robby McCrorie is a straight swap in for Kelly now that he’s off the Rangers bench and actually playing football. Then two youngsters get their chance in Doak and Johnston and also a first opportunity for Gauld.

Surely has to be a back four for these games and I’d try where possible to have players in the positions they play for their clubs.

First XI

Gunn

Johnston-Porteous-McKenna-Robbo

Gilmour-Christie

Doak-McTominay-McGinn

Dykes

Edited by JS_FFC

19 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

Credit where it’s due to Clarke he has looked to freshen up a bit here with 8 of the 26 from the euros not making it. 

Two of those are enforced with Tierney’s injury and McGregor hanging up his boots but of the other six, Jack Hendry and Ross McCrorie are dropped, Liam Kelly pays the price for an unambitious move to sit on the bench at Ibrox and the trio of 32 year olds Liam Cooper, Ryan Jack and Stuart Armstrong are all done at international level unless they find themselves a new club and start performing ASAP.

Six new faces to replace them (squad is two smaller than the euros). Lyndon Dykes and John Souttar walk back in unsurprisingly. Robby McCrorie is a straight swap in for Kelly now that he’s off the Rangers bench and actually playing football. Then two youngsters get their chance in Doak and Johnston and also a first opportunity for Gauld.

Surely has to be a back four for these games and I’d try where possible to have players in the positions they play for their clubs.

First XI

Clark

Johnston-Porteous-McKenna-Robbo

Gilmour-Christie

Doak-McTominay-McGinn

Dykes

Gunn is quite clearly first choice. And given the opposition, quite rightly so.  

Looking forward to this sub forum when it's still 3-5-1-1 and Doak, Gauld and Conway get about 45 minutes between them over the two games.