Scotland squad to face Poland (H) and Portugal (A)

6 minutes ago, Old Bing said:

Why does he have to be the messiah? Is he replacing the messiah?

If he contributes to the team and gives us a good option then he's proved his point (if he even gets that chance).

He doesn’t have to be the messiah. It was flippant comment about his ten year absence since his last squad call up. 

35 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

Would expect a press conference or interview of some sort. Apart from a couple of tame after match interviews where most of the talk was about the blatant penalty we should've had we haven't from Clarke or anyone from the SFA.

I suspect we will get a lot of 

"we had key players injured"

"we learned a lot about tournament football"

"we will be stronger next time"

"we have to move on and concentrate on this campaign"

You got it pretty much spot on, especially blaming the injuries.  As predictable as his approach to the Euros...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/videos/clyndyzxkveo

3 minutes ago, VictorOnopko said:

You got it pretty much spot on, especially blaming the injuries.  As predictable as his approach to the Euros...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/videos/clyndyzxkveo

Well there you go, he blames injured players (we must be the only team without a full squad).

He takes no responsibility and laughs at people's concerns despite the overwhelming evidence he arsed it up. 

I've never had anything against clarke until now. What an absolute bell end he is.

5 minutes ago, Butters Scotch said:

Bowat would be near the top of that list and Jackson from Man Utd for CB. You've got Liam Morrison who is a bit older at 21 but plenty of time to develop still at that age.

Rory Wilson should be the one to be fast tracked IMO who is doing well at Villa youth. Villa have a real shortage of strikers at the moment though so I think they are hesitant punting him out on loan for now but certianly knows where the goal is.

Goalkeeping area is a real issue, Slicker is one of the most high profile youngster but hasn't had any games at a senior club and then you are praying that McKenna makes it. At least we have a semi competent GK in Gunn who can keep the position for the next five plus years if he wants it.

Bowat we agree on. Been impressed with him.

Wilson for all his talent can’t nail down a regular start at Premier League 2 level yet due to his physical limitations. Long way to go with that one.

57 minutes ago, Londonwell said:

McLean is a superior player to Miller at this stage of his career. Miller probably has a higher ceiling so could see that argument in isolation with a view to the future but not for these games coming up which are going to be important. 

We don't have unimportant games anymore.

57 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Shankland looked levels above most last season domestically but looked a competition winner for Scotland.

Miller is clearly an outstanding prospect but to say he's good enough for international level right now without actually playing nowhere near that level yet is a bit of an empty claim. 

Shankland was 28.

Miller is exceptional. I'd argue he's a bigger talent than Doak FWIW. He's exactly who should be in the squad with a view to the future as he can help now aswell.

He's also exactly the type of CM we need to replace McGregor.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Shankland was 28.

Miller is exceptional. I'd argue he's a bigger talent than Doak FWIW. He's exactly who should be in the squad with a view to the future as he can help now aswell.

He's also exactly the type of CM we need to replace McGregor.

Tbh I've no issue chucking him in the squad. Doak is only really in there due to the squads lack of pace and wingers/forwards as he unlike Miller has done next to nothing really at senior level. Certainly ones to watch though.

22 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

We don't have unimportant games anymore.

Game importance remains on a sliding scale. McLean remains better than Miller at this stage.

Miller will be best in the U21’s for their upcoming games. 

1 hour ago, Butters Scotch said:

How is it nonsense when they did blood in a lot of talented youngsters around the same time and once they got a bit of international experience under their belt they started going far in tournaments? What they achieved as a small european side was fantastic, something that Scotland are desperate to emulate. Are you forgetting that they blooded in Bale well before he became this mega superstar that no one saw coming? For all we know right now, Doak can have a similar trajectory as can some other youngsters in the near future but I would worry they won't ever be given a chance until their 20s as we don't seem to do this as a nation. 

Will ask you a question, given that our centre backs and goalkeepers are pretty rank, is it not a good idea to start blooding in young players in these positions early rather than stick with the jobbers like Kelly etc as squad fillers?

It's nonsense because, as I already said, it's not a particularly comparable situation and throwing around debuts BECAUSE they're young rather than because they're simply the best player available for the role is daft.

"No one saw [Bale] coming"? Really? I for one can remember the hype around him as he broke through at Southampton and then Tottenham. Wales didn't unearth him from some backwoods village team. He was a generational talent that everyone knew about by the time he was 17. If you didn't see it coming you were about the only one!

And Doak's already in the squad and would have played but for injury so using him for comparison appears to be a particularly bad example.

Kelly's not in the squad incidentally and McCrorie may yet be the next keeper so I presume you're wanting Clark jettisoned for someone young here? Fair enough if there's someone suitable. I think there's an argument to be made for a centre back or two if they are out there. Even if only to gain experience at this stage rather than necessarily play. These aren't friendlies though and we shouldn't be arsing about with the team for the sake of it.

1 hour ago, ahemps said:

Why would you be against trying Conway at this stage?

Because Dykes is crucial to the way Clarke wants to play and Conway can't do what he does. I'm not particularly averse to Conway being picked over Shankland or even Adams though. It will be interesting to see how Adams gets on in Italy rather than drawing conclusions from a goalscoring debut. I'm not even averse to Conway playing alongside Dykes though that necessitates a formation change, probably to four at the back.

2 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

It's nonsense because, as I already said, it's not a particularly comparable situation and throwing around debuts BECAUSE they're young rather than because they're simply the best player available for the role is daft.

"No one saw [Bale] coming"? Really? I for one can remember the hype around him as he broke through at Southampton and then Tottenham. Wales didn't unearth him from some backwoods village team. He was a generational talent that everyone knew about by the time he was 17. If you didn't see it coming you were about the only one!

And Doak's already in the squad and would have played but for injury so using him for comparison appears to be a particularly bad example.

Kelly's not in the squad incidentally and McCrorie may yet be the next keeper so I presume you're wanting Clark jettisoned for someone young here? Fair enough if there's someone suitable. I think there's an argument to be made for a centre back or two if they are out there. Even if only to gain experience at this stage rather than necessarily play. These aren't friendlies though and we shouldn't be arsing about with the team for the sake of it.

Because Dykes is crucial to the way Clarke wants to play and Conway can't do what he does. I'm not particularly averse to Conway being picked over Shankland or even Adams though. It will be interesting to see how Adams gets on in Italy rather than drawing conclusions from a goalscoring debut. I'm not even averse to Conway playing alongside Dykes though that necessitates a formation change, probably to four at the back.

I also remember Bale breaking thru at Southampton, he played exclusively at left back. And did very well. 

However I don't remember anyone claiming he was a generational talent. Or expecting him to go onto becoming easily one of the best players in the world. In a completely different position.

So with respect I'd say your talking complete bollocks.

Theres no doubt early exposure in the national team would have helped him.

27 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

No one is talking about wholesale changes to the starting 11 or starting players cause they are young and have potential you fool. It's about bringing talented young players like your Doak's into the squad to get experience training with international level players to aid their development.

Yes everyone could see that Bale was a decent left back that had a tremendous free kick ability on him but he was nowhere near the level of peak Bale, his rise was spectacular that most wouldn't have predicted if you are being honest with yourself.

2 hours ago, Londonwell said:

Game importance remains on a sliding scale. McLean remains better than Miller at this stage.

Miller will be best in the U21’s for their upcoming games. 

He's not going to learn a thing from the u21s now. He moved past youth football about 2 years ago.

If we're going 4-3-3 then Gilmour, McGinn, McTominay and Christie are all ahead of McLean in there, IMO. We'd be better giving Miller 30 mins at the end, but old Largs logic of "how do we hold a lead" points you towards McLean and the all important "experience", I guess.

5 minutes ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

One of the matches for the u 21s is against Spain so they will get some , valuable , experience then

The experience of a being in a full interational squad is entirely different from the experience of being in the u-21s.

If they are good enough call them up.

5 hours ago, accies1874 said:

Gauld? I've got tickets for both of these games which I'm now willing to give away for free. 

Marshmallo didn't die for this

What's worse is someone posted the name "Hayden Hackney" and nobody batted an eyelid.