Scotland squad to face Poland (H) and Portugal (A)

12 hours ago, Willie adie said:

Cos he has totally ignored Gauld throughout  his whole time in charge 

Could that just be perhaps because he’s not as good as John McGinn, Scott McTominay, Ryan Christie and Stuart Armstrong no?

13 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Has he? Or has he just not called him up, the same way he hasn't called up dozens of other professionals playing at a fairly decent level?

It's about perception, but I supposed you would have to pull your head out from clarkes bum to see it differently.

This Gauld fascination is just becoming a bit weird now to be frank.  Then you have got a comment saying he should tell clarke to ram it haha, as if he is an ex balon dor winner or something. 

not sur he is better than our current group of midfielders, but if he did get called up I would fully expect to him be overjoyed, and turn up and give his best.

Edited by Smokerson

I think fans just want to have a look see themselves. We had that with Shankland and everyone has cooled on him as the answer after having seen him in a Scotland shirt. That's not to say he's been bad, he's been fine - but isn't a better quality of player than Dykes or Adams, just more depth of a similar quality. I think it's likely to be a similar story with Gauld. He probably isn't better than what we have - just around the same level really if I were to guess. If he gets a call up then I hope he does well and best of luck to him, I have no doubt that it would mean a lot to him.

As for the rest of the players it's been the normal mix at club level:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.d24f7f0cc111facdc3c866aaae611a09.png

• Injury concerns around Hickey, Tierney, Patterson, Brown, McCrorie, Ferguson. 
  • Game time issues for Doak, Gilmour, Cooper, Nisbet, Kelly, Johnston, Armstrong and Jack. The latter two are free agents.

Lewis Morgan and Jack Hendry play the first game of their club seasons this weekend with the squad announcement next week.

The MLS season isn't just starting - it's had a mid-season break to play the Leagues Cup, which is a group stage then knockout tournament with MLS and Mexican league sides.

Re Gauld, I think he strengthens the squad with his versatility and hard work, and just the fact that he's clearly a good player. I believe he's deserved a callup long before now, so it'll be nice to see him get his chance if it does come. An excellent player to have on the bench.

34 minutes ago, Alan Twelve said:

The MLS season isn't just starting - it's had a mid-season break to play the Leagues Cup, which is a group stage then knockout tournament with MLS and Mexican league sides.

You're right. I should have said Lewis Morgan's last game was on 31-Jul in the Leagues Cup and his club season restarts this weekend.

Personally, I would've called Gauld up when he was with Farense back in 2019.

Yes. I watched him frequently back then.

Taking a team up almost singlehandedly and then almost keeping them up singlehandedly.

It's impressive.

Being relegated and yet being on the shortlist for team of the season.

Whilst players like Armstrong, Fraser, etc, were being called up.

Ah well, football is a game of opinions...

He is a good player who will add guile. But he's not going to improve us by much.

Edited by Chripper

I think I'm fairly consistently on record in the past saying how ridiculous it was not to give Gauld at least one shot over the years.

Thing is, the guy is almost 29 now. Even I'm ready to move on.

Just now, ArabFC said:

I think I'm fairly consistently on record in the past saying how ridiculous it was not to give Gauld at least one shot over the years.

Agreed.

My guess is;

Gunn, Clarke, McCrorie

Ralston, Johnston, Porteous, Hanley, Souttar, McKenna, Hendry Robertson, Taylor, Doig

McGinn, McTominay, Gilmour, McLean, Christie, Barron, Gauld

Forrest, Adams, Dykes, Shankland, Conway, Doak, Morgan

1 hour ago, ArabFC said:

With gauld eligible for Canada before the word cup could we honestly blame him if he held on for them instead. From his point of view at least they will definitely be at the tournament, and likey we will not.

It strikes as complete desperation now from clarke finally realising hes been wrong all along, what's changed between now and the start of the euros.

Edited by Old Bing