Aberdeen v Queen’s Park

10 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

45 minutes of the same tedious song from the Aberdeen fans. FFS have you nothing else?

I would comment on your fans’ song  selection but can’t hear them 🙃

Great take from topi for the goal which was nice but generally a frustrating afternoon. 

credit to QP they defended well all game and had us basically out of ideas until the end. 

Don’t think we learned a great deal about Aberdeen, we didn’t play particularly badly just lacking quality which we knew was a bit of a problem already. 

We didn't get much joy out of building up in essentially a 4-2-4 in the first-half, given how regimented Queen's Park were. A couple of moments when we were fortunate not to go behind, particularly when Milne thankfully rectified his own mistake. Some shaky moments at the back even aside from that mistake, and thought Molloy was a bit spooked by Rudden's physicality at times, but Mitov showed good handling when called upon. 

McGrath had a rare off day, and tended to get swallowed up a bit in central areas of the pitch. Queen's were largely comfortable with Sokler and I thought Ambrose actually did a better job when he came on, although might also have been helped by us trying to step up the urgency a bit. Thankfully a great take and strike from Keskinen to win it, and (very) early signs from him were fairly promising, I thought.

Not great from us but getting through to the next round is the important thing. Great finish from Keskinen and you could already see he's going to be a significant upgrade on Morris in general football intelligence, technique and end product.

I don't envy Queens Park fans having to suffer through Davidson's anti-football approach. Tough to endure that over a whole season. It almost worked though and on another day it could have been a triple scalp for Premiership sides against lower league opposition

7 minutes ago, Zapp Brannigan said:

Not great from us but getting through to the next round is the important thing. Great finish from Keskinen and you could already see he's going to be a significant upgrade on Morris in general football intelligence, technique and end product.

I don't envy Queens Park fans having to suffer through Davidson's anti-football approach. Tough to endure that over a whole season. It almost worked though and on another day it could have been a triple scalp for Premiership sides against lower league opposition

They scored 16 goals in 4 LC group games, so I'm not sure how negative they have been this season.

2 hours ago, STFU_Donny said:

I would comment on your fans’ song  selection but can’t hear them 🙃

You should have moved closer; we're funny and inventive.

On the game, pleasantly surprised at how we competed. I feared us struggling badly as we did at Hibs, but we did ok. Two terrific chances and defended well under pressure.

The season looks a bit brighter.

8 minutes ago, O_Kahn said:

They scored 16 goals in 4 LC group games, so I'm not sure how negative they have been this season.

We haven't been negative at all. I felt we gave it a decent go today.

We're through, so job done. I didn't think we played badly but lack of ideas, lack of composure when through on goal, and some excellent saves by the Queens keeper kept it at one. Fabulous strike by Topi Keskinen (or Kismanen as the BBC website said) and he looked speedy and skilful in his wee spell. Some of our better performers this season, McGrath and McKenzie in particular, slightly off it today, but on to the match with Killie next Sunday. 

Edited by kingjoey