Cove Rangers vs Dumbarton

Outcome   

24 members have voted

1. 1. Outcome

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/08/24 at 14:00

Cove missing a trick here. Should be promoting this game for week on social media with Aberdeen charging £26 for a league cup game against Queen’s Park. Ideal to get some neutrals in the gate. A by one get one free on tickets bring a friend day or something 

2 minutes ago, Moorie said:

Cove missing a trick here. Should be promoting this game for week on social media with Aberdeen charging £26 for a league cup game against Queen’s Park. Ideal to get some neutrals in the gate. A by one get one free on tickets bring a friend day or something 

Hopefully that is the sort of thing that comes up in the review that Keith mentioned at the supporters club meeting that they are planning on doing.   

Last weekend of the Aberdeen school holidays as well, so there is a chance people could be making the most of the holidays while they can, Cove will be there for the rest of the year so there will be plenty more opportunities for Cove to do that in the future.

1 hour ago, Jo9 said:

Hopefully that is the sort of thing that comes up in the review that Keith mentioned at the supporters club meeting that they are planning on doing.   

Last weekend of the Aberdeen school holidays as well, so there is a chance people could be making the most of the holidays while they can, Cove will be there for the rest of the year so there will be plenty more opportunities for Cove to do that in the future.

Yeah. Really need to make the most when Aberdeen away? Do under 12s still get in for free this season or was that just a one off last season? 

12 minutes ago, Moorie said:

Yeah. Really need to make the most when Aberdeen away? Do under 12s still get in for free this season or was that just a one off last season? 

Looks like they have kept it this season as well.

3 hours ago, Moorie said:

Somehow I canna see Jonny and Keith’s main concern at the moment coming up with something innovative when their concern ‘might’ be who is filling the large holes appearing in Corporate now that the ACE group and their clients are going elsewhere ……..

2 hours ago, Jo9 said:

One would think reviews are ideal for the close season, plenty of the year left like you say for these incentives when it’s dark at 1530 and it’s -1 and pissing doon. Didn’t Keith say something similar last year? Anyway anything is positive and he might be waiting for the stands to be built …..

Edited by Bieldside Boy

I'm looking forward to this. I've only been to the Balmoral twice; once during Covid when there was nobody there. And on a horrible December afternoon where we lost 2-0 (I think) the season we went down. Again, there was basically nobody there.

This is the first time I'll be travelling thinking we've got a good chance of three points given we were relegation battlers and Cove a top three stick on those seasons.

Given what happened last week I'm hoping Sena and Matty Shiels are guaranteed to score to cancel out Mitch's stick-on goal.

I hadn't even thought about it, but last night was our first win of the season. So hopefully it means we can go in with a bit of momentum and confidence.

5 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

And on a horrible December afternoon where we lost 2-0 (I think) the season we went down. Again, there was basically nobody there.

That was a miserable experience and even worse drive home. One of the few times I've actually felt sorry for players whilst questioning my own sanity at attending just to tick off a new ground.

1 hour ago, Bieldside Boy said:

One would think reviews are ideal for the close season, plenty of the year left like you say for these incentives when it’s dark at 1530 and it’s -1 and pissing doon. Didn’t Keith say something similar last year? Anyway anything is positive and he might be waiting for the stands to be built …..

Can’t speak to what was said last year.  If they are getting one done I would be happy for it to take a bit longer if they get it right.   The one bit I am still a bit unsure on is where the club is taking responsibility for things and where the new community foundation is taking responsibility for things.

Should hopefully hear about the stands soon. 

But on the match, looks like it’s going to be a good day so worst comes to worst will get a tan.

1 hour ago, Bieldside Boy said:

Somehow I canna see Jonny and Keith’s main concern at the moment coming up with something innovative when their concern ‘might’ be who is filling the large holes appearing in Corporate now that the ACE group and their clients are going elsewhere ……..

Easy fix for filling the holes. Take bookings for for 2 or more and fill tables up with this than only issuing tables of 8 or 10.

Done a lot of lower league hospitality and when it’s a table made up of strangers always been a laugh 

1 hour ago, PWL said:

That was a miserable experience and even worse drive home. One of the few times I've actually felt sorry for players whilst questioning my own sanity at attending just to tick off a new ground.

I actually had to look it up on SonsArchive to remember the score. An absolutely rubbish afternoon, and like you I remember standing in the tiny wee stand in the pissing rain and total darkness, with the journey home stretching out in front of me wondering why I decided to spend my Saturday in an industrial estate on the outskirts of Aberdeen. 

1 hour ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Given what happened last week I'm hoping Sena and Matty Shiels are guaranteed to score to cancel out Mitch's stick-on goal.

As long as he scores before he's sent off we should be okay. 

It would be a really big win for us this, but reading the threads it's really just poor finishing that has let Cove down previously. Hopefully they'll continue that poor form in front of goal but a centre back coming in on loan for the Sons would inspire a bit more confidence, I think. Both sides will be eager to get their first win which makes me think it could be another 3-3. 

8 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

As long as he scores before he's sent off we should be okay. 

It would be a really big win for us this, but reading the threads it's really just poor finishing that has let Cove down previously. Hopefully they'll continue that poor form in front of goal but a centre back coming in on loan for the Sons would inspire a bit more confidence, I think. Both sides will be eager to get their first win which makes me think it could be another 3-3. 

Gets his second booking celebrating with Paul Hartley in the style of Jamie Hamill and Derek Adams.

10 hours ago, Watson Nimrod said:

The club have had plenty of opportunities to instigate greater incentives since we went into the SPFL so will wait with interest to see what these will be, Saturday would have been the ideal day, 20 degrees, get an ice cream van outside and made it into a fun day for the kids, like Bieldside says, not much incentive for newbies in November trailing round the mud (and potential building site) for a bit of shelter but everyone has their opinion. 

Arbroath, Peterhead and Montrose have all had their shirt launch events while it’s a toss of the coin whether ours will be available on Saturday, yet more average behaviour it’s not great nor poor just meh, like so much going on at the club right now. 

Anyway, positive signs after last Saturday, hopefully Declan keeps up his good form and pushes on, we urgently need a centre back to stem the bleeding if it turns nasty, but I suspect we will score early and hold on to the lead. Sadly I won’t be in attendance as I simply can’t be arsed with the drive after a week in London working ….. although come Saturday I’m sure I will change my mind. 

Why I originally said this Saturday to attract fans with a offer on tickets is you will be easier when Aberdeen are in cup competition and some being priced out and refusing to pay the prices. No point having a day like this when Aberdeen play a league game and season tickets are valid 

43 minutes ago, Moorie said:

Why I originally said this Saturday to attract fans with a offer on tickets is you will be easier when Aberdeen are in cup competition and some being priced out and refusing to pay the prices. No point having a day like this when Aberdeen play a league game and season tickets are valid 

I thought about this last night, I have come to the conclusion that it would actually be a bad idea to try and poach Aberdeen fans when they are playing at home, if they were away, I can completely get trying to get some people in, but when they are at home even a subtle attempt could potentially just annoy a few people.

For me it would be like if we were playing a challenge cup game, its a nice day weather wise, and Banks of Dee are pushing hard to try and get some Cove fans to come to their Highland League match instead of the cup match with offers and what not.  For me I wouldn't entertain it and it would actually make me less likely to go to a Banks of Dee game in the future.  I know the club sizes are different and the costs are different, but its the same principle.  

I get that timing wise its probably better to try and attract people in summer to get them coming to games, but realistically, say the club splashes out on an ice cream van, swallows some lost ticket sales by doing free tickets and getting a temporary boost in the summer only for the majority of those people to not come back in the winter when the weather turns.

In my opinion, they are better improving the overall match day experience by getting the stands sorted, getting the surface done to make getting to the stands better and ensuring that they have a match day experience that will keep people there once they have got them in the first place.  Perhaps I have more faith than others with regards to what Keith has said about the new stands.  I mean you yourself have stated in the past that you wont be back until the stands etc are in due to your family and their needs, I wouldn't be surprised if there were others that turn up for one game and give it a dinghy. 

And yes they have had their entire time in the SPFL to sort all this out and to be honest that is on the club to reflect on whether they could have done something earlier.

But on a more important topic with regards to the actual upcoming match day.

I hope they still have those new pies that they had at the last game, lovely puff pastry lid on the steak pies and you didn't need to drink the gravy out of it before eating.

4 hours ago, Jo9 said:

I thought about this last night, I have come to the conclusion that it would actually be a bad idea to try and poach Aberdeen fans when they are playing at home, if they were away, I can completely get trying to get some people in, but when they are at home even a subtle attempt could potentially just annoy a few people.

For me it would be like if we were playing a challenge cup game, its a nice day weather wise, and Banks of Dee are pushing hard to try and get some Cove fans to come to their Highland League match instead of the cup match with offers and what not.  For me I wouldn't entertain it and it would actually make me less likely to go to a Banks of Dee game in the future.  I know the club sizes are different and the costs are different, but its the same principle.  

I get that timing wise its probably better to try and attract people in summer to get them coming to games, but realistically, say the club splashes out on an ice cream van, swallows some lost ticket sales by doing free tickets and getting a temporary boost in the summer only for the majority of those people to not come back in the winter when the weather turns.

Jesus loon, the club paid a fit and well Ian Vigurs salary for 9 months and he didn’t kick a ba!! Im sure a wee lost leader on an Ice Cream van and a few tickets is peanuts in comparison. You are probably right tho trying to pinch Dons is a hiding to nothing. Nae idea what the answer is, folk came up to Cove because they either always had or they recognised the names, Fyvie, Logan etc etc. The club were winning and it was all a bit of a novelty, AFC were poor too for some of those seasons, I’m afraid to say some of those have now drifted away. Old pessimistic farts like me knew it couldn’t last but as others say the club is falling into a rut on and off the pitch and it’s a serious worry for a lot of us miserable old sods with bugger all else to do on a Saturday. Canna imagine there is money now for the big names when we are £2mil in debt and a benefactor goes elsewhere and corporate isn’t full. I’m also nae sure Keith is the man to spearhead initiatives, great Chairman that he is, I suspect that’s something for others to come up with, with a flair for that sort of thing, perhaps Mr Gordon.  

Edited by Bieldside Boy