Cove Rangers vs Dumbarton

Outcome   

24 members have voted

1. 1. Outcome

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/08/24 at 14:00

I thought we did enough for the second week in a row to merit 3 points but for me it all boils down to the lack of a Centre Back. Doyle does what he can to organise but we desperately need some experience in the middle as we in reality are just giving away points. I hope we stick with him as the captain. 

Hard to know just now who the ‘top teams’ are but if we continue to be so frail at the back we will get battered by someone (like we did by Spartans), however plenty of positives and the new players are all contributing positively. Feel a bit sorry for Suman getting a bit of criticism, talented keeper who has done very little wrong. Probably the one in the squad of our own players for me who will go for money one day. 

No Mitch is a concern, I will leave that for others to discuss. 

On 15/08/2024 at 18:48, The Moonster said:

And folk thought the Alloa thread was bad. 

I won’t hear a bad word said about my Alloa thread.

If nothing else we’ve got the ‘Wasps vs Parasites’ thread title out of it for next time.

Edited by FifeSons

1 hour ago, FifeSons said:

Where’s @CoveRangers1922? Unless I’ve totally missed him in this thread. He was always very sympathetic to us in our absolutely garbage last season in this league. He was in serious danger of giving Cove a good name!

Ah, the lesser known Bon Jovi song.

9 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Thats pretty standard across all football grounds. Its not a creche. Primary school kids should have an adult responsible for them. As a parent I wouldnt dream of letting my kids go to a football match on their own at 11..

Changed days I suppose. Must have been in primary school when I started going on my own 

Wasn’t a great game tbh. Wouldn’t say it was ‘utterly grim’ though. First half pretty even second half Cove dominated and they should probably have been more than one ahead. We did hit the bar though and Sheils missed a good chance. Excellent corner from McGuffie for the goal and a point I didn’t think we were going to get 

6 hours ago, The Moonster said:

My dad used to lift me over the barrier at Boghead and I would only see him again in the 90 minutes if I wanted juice or a pie. You should embrace the fact you have a ground that kids can move around and explore. 

We used to just wander along and ask random blokes to give us a lift over. Could you imagine that happening now?

That's another really decent point, and over the course of the 90 minutes probably a deserved one. It's the third game we've played at this level, and there's barely been anything between any of the teams. It's setting up to be as close a league as it looked on paper before kick off.

I didn't think either side were at their best today. There was a lot of effort and a lot of nearly moments. But just a lack of composure or sharpness in the opposition box. As a game it deserved to be 1-1, but it maybe should've been 3-3 or 3-2 either way, if that makes sense.

Cove probably shaded the chances, none moreso than an absolute sitter that Connor Scully blazed over just before we levelled, and obviously the dreadful penalty from Declan Glass. Who really is a shining light in that team, he's such a nice wee player to watch. Always looking to get on the ball and do something positive. It's a shame he's struggled elsewhere, but Cove right now looks like the ideal place for him to rebuild his career.

We had opportunities of our own. Michael Ruth glanced a free header wide in the first-half and had a goal disallowed for a tight offside in the second (from which Cove took the free kick and took the lead courtesy of Matty Shiels seemingly suddenly remembering about death and freezing about a yard out).

At 1-0 with no Mumbongo on the bench, Faz shook things up a fair bit with his limited subs. We went 3-5-2 and then, for the final minutes, into more of a 3-4-3 (or 3-2-5 at times) with Tony Wallace and Matty Shiels joining Ruth in attack.

You absolutely have to hand it to him, because (for the second away game in a row) he's given things a reshuffle and it's changed the game. We went balls out for a leveller and were rewarded. It was a good finish from Mark Durnan from a terrific Craig McGuffie corner.

I thought McGuffie was out best player today. He looked our main threat most of the game, he always wanted the ball and he did an absolute power of work. Especially when moved more centrally. He kept popping up in our own box to clear danger. A real team player's effort, and the sort of graft and desire I wasn't expecting to see from a player like him.

Mark Durnan and Mikey Miller both performed far better than last weekend and Brett Long was as solid as ever. Making a few good saves at key times and generally just looking the part.

Kalvin Orsi looked more of a threat in 20 minutes on the right than 70 on the left, which is maybe giving Faz some food for thought.

This team has a real desire and spirit about it. And the feeling and celebrations when Durnan's header found the net were terrific. It does feel like a win makes this an excellent start and a defeat makes it a bit disappointing, but I've been encouraged by the three games so far. We don't look out of our depth, and for a team who finished fourth and were promoted via the play-offs, I think that's something to be happy with.

I was told (and have verified), that including the playoff games, we’ve only lost one of our last 15 league games. That game being at Peterhead, which was a total dead rubber. A good few draws in there, so take it as you will, but it’s probably not that often we have a run like that. Either way, I reckon Faz would like it for a sound bite!

credit @lionel wickson

Edited by FifeSons

9 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Always seem to be quite a few unchaperoned kids at Palmerston, if they are accompanied by an adult then the adult must just go in with them and then leave them to do their own  thing, kinda defeats the reason for this "rule" being in place. I actually agree that children under a certain age should need to be accompanied by an adult. 

In theory there shouldn't be. The same u12's must be accompanied rule exists I think. We enforced it strictly during the restricted Covid games for instance and wouldn't allow unaccompanied u12's to register for a spot. In practice of course if kids have a season ticket and their parents send them to the ground it's unlikely anyone's going to stop an 11 year old at the turnstile and ask for a birth certificate.

My youngest son was going to games "by himself" at about 12 and standing with his mates on the terrace. Obviously I was in the ground though and he knew to come to me if he needed anything or contact one of the stewards / safety officers. I don't think I'd have let him go on his own at that age if I wasn't working there.