East Fife v Forfar Athletic (Sat 17 Aug)

34 minutes ago, the_bully_wee said:

You can very clearly see that he doesn't even attempt to take the next stride with his right foot, just trails it and sends himself to the ground when he sees McCallum is going to ground. I'd disagree with anyone who deems that inconclusive.

I get people sitting on the fence but to me 2 angles showing no contact and him going down in instalments is conclusive. Dive.

1 hour ago, lwh said:

I get people sitting on the fence but to me 2 angles showing no contact and him going down in instalments is conclusive. Dive.

I'm not sitting on the fence, 100% inconclusive from the video footage.

Happy for you to show still frame shots from both angles of the gap between keeper and striker though.

On 17/08/2024 at 19:14, Mattyboyd8 said:

If someone can teach Mcfarlane how to kick a dead ball I'd be delighted. 

A striker and a right back that can run please and the squad will be in a much better place! 

This is why I hope we would sign a goalie coach but given we have two coaches, physio, assistant coach and dick the funds aren't there for one.

But definitely a striker with pace and a right back-centre back type defender and maybe a right winger given shepherd there still think he's better as two up top or from the bench. As far transfers go it be loans at best if anything.

8 hours ago, Cambuslang Fifer said:

This is why I hope we would sign a goalie coach but given we have two coaches, physio, assistant coach and dick the funds aren't there for one.

But definitely a striker with pace and a right back-centre back type defender and maybe a right winger given shepherd there still think he's better as two up top or from the bench. As far transfers go it be loans at best if anything.

Did Rab Douglas not join you alongside DC and his crew?

I’ve watched the highlights and paid particular attention to the penalty incident. Whilst I agree the footage isn’t 100% conclusive that there was a connection, it is clear that Austin played for the penalty, he was dragging his leg and already on his way down before any contact was or wasn’t made.

It was easier to score, there’s never a guarantee that a penalty will be converted especially against McCallum (though Marc’s head was gone at that point) so I can see the argument why would he go down but would counter that with I wonder if he was hoping that the goalie would get a red card?

7 minutes ago, theSilverFox said:

I’ve watched the highlights and paid particular attention to the penalty incident. Whilst I agree the footage isn’t 100% conclusive that there was a connection, it is clear that Austin played for the penalty, he was dragging his leg and already on his way down before any contact was or wasn’t made.

It was easier to score, there’s never a guarantee that a penalty will be converted especially against McCallum (though Marc’s head was gone at that point) so I can see the argument why would he go down but would counter that with I wonder if he was hoping that the goalie would get a red card?

Alan Troutpen. A penalty's as good as a goal.

Managed to make it along on Saturday, won't be able to make many this year. Have to say whilst I thought we probably slightly shaded it there wasn't much between the teams and it was a fairly dreadful spectacle. For all the slagging of Forfar just lumping it long, we did the same for the opening 60 minutes. McManus never looked comfortable at right back and when you've got a striker playing in front of him at right wing it doesn't help things. I think Munro and Easton are too similar centre half - I'd be looking for the more experienced centre half in Easton to make want to put his foot on the ball a bit more but we genuinely looked uncomfortable if the ball wasn't up in the air - proper "the floor is lava" stuff. Commentary had Munro down as making the error for the goal but I feel like McFarlane should be coming out and smothering that rather than letting it bounce. During the game I thought the penalty was a stonewaller but that just shows what 5 pints does to you as it looks a bit of a dive to me!

Didn't think Millar was all that great but Norey looked really good. Trouten's definitely our most intelligent player but we struggle to get him on the ball enough because we're constantly lumping it. Think we need to sign 2/3 more if we'll compete at the top in this league, and with Spartans getting a nice cash injection from the League Cup I think anywhere in the playoffs looks more realistic to me rather than going for the title. 

ETA - what was the story with McCallum having a bit of an argument with someone in the Forfar end during the game?

Edited by Big Fifer

On 19/08/2024 at 13:15, Big Fifer said:

Managed to make it along on Saturday, won't be able to make many this year. Have to say whilst I thought we probably slightly shaded it there wasn't much between the teams and it was a fairly dreadful spectacle. For all the slagging of Forfar just lumping it long, we did the same for the opening 60 minutes. McManus never looked comfortable at right back and when you've got a striker playing in front of him at right wing it doesn't help things. I think Munro and Easton are too similar centre half - I'd be looking for the more experienced centre half in Easton to make want to put his foot on the ball a bit more but we genuinely looked uncomfortable if the ball wasn't up in the air - proper "the floor is lava" stuff. Commentary had Munro down as making the error for the goal but I feel like McFarlane should be coming out and smothering that rather than letting it bounce. During the game I thought the penalty was a stonewaller but that just shows what 5 pints does to you as it looks a bit of a dive to me!

Didn't think Millar was all that great but Norey looked really good. Trouten's definitely our most intelligent player but we struggle to get him on the ball enough because we're constantly lumping it. Think we need to sign 2/3 more if we'll compete at the top in this league, and with Spartans getting a nice cash injection from the League Cup I think anywhere in the playoffs looks more realistic to me rather than going for the title. 

ETA - what was the story with McCallum having a bit of an argument with someone in the Forfar end during the game?

They are our resident crackpots....every week someone gets it