Table topping Ayr V Manager less Raith

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

Still trying to understand why a bad play by Big Kev is drawing such venom, while the slack passes we’ve seen weekly from other players get no mention…

Ayr are a side that don’t extend an option to do an international video stream to RaithTV anyway, so that doesn’t matter. No idea what exactly facilities they have where RaithTV are allowed to broadcast from.

…see, this is at least a bit more balanced. Let’s remember how poor Big Kev’s kicking was last season overall. Despite that, he’s certainly won us much more than he’s cost us. His kicking this year has been miles better, but we knew there would be a few dicey matches, there alway are with any player.

We normally do a steam for overseas  ourselves however the last few weeks we haven’t been streaming on iptv for some reason

8 minutes ago, BPM said:

Granted I only watched the highlights once but was Byrne not pushed over or did he dive on panic? 

If you're not making at least a hundred thousand pounds a week then you have absolutely nowhere near the level of clout required to make a referee automatically call a decision in your favour by smothering the ball like it's a live grenade in your own penalty box on the way down. If I were a referee I would absolutely consider such behaviour to be deliberately insulting, never mind against the laws of the game.

1 minute ago, ryanayr1987 said:

We normally do a steam for overseas  ourselves however the last few weeks we haven’t been streaming on iptv for some reason

I mean Callum and co did record an entire stream of Saturday. It does raise the question of what "stream" is supposed to mean if nobody can watch it live.

Also it's still being transcoded on someone's Atari ST, the framerate goes to absolute shit whenever they try to do a replay or something.

Edited by Thumper

14 minutes ago, Thumper said:

If you're not making at least a hundred thousand pounds a week then you have absolutely nowhere near the level of clout required to make a referee automatically call a decision in your favour by smothering the ball like it's a live grenade in your own penalty box on the way down. If I were a referee I would absolutely consider such behaviour to be deliberately insulting, never mind against the laws of the game.

I mean Callum and co did record an entire stream of Saturday. It does raise the question of what "stream" is supposed to mean if nobody can watch it live.

Also it's still being transcoded on someone's Atari ST, the framerate goes to absolute shit whenever they try to do a replay or something.

Agreed we need to be doing 100 times better with the steaming forgot how bad they are as it was awful last few times I have seen it. But something is better than nothing and I haven’t been able to see anything as it’s not been there and have been to busy to get down from Glasgow 

4 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

Agreed we need to be doing 100 times better with the steaming forgot how bad they are as it was awful last few times I have seen it. But something is better than nothing and I haven’t been able to see anything as it’s not been there and have been to busy to get down from Glasgow 

The thing is, it's not either the club feed or nothing. There are three or four guys who record basically the entire games on their phones now and put that straight up after the game, and there's not really that much difference to go for the official feed in either the A/V quality or the level of insight provided by the commentary (this week's example is Callum picking four or five completely wrong interpretations of what happened for the penalty). If you're being paid to do a feed and some 17-year-old in the stand with an iPhone is doing a better job then this is cause for concern.

1 hour ago, ryanayr1987 said:

Yea, it's a sticky one, but the RaithTV/Rovers deal is if we can video at your place, you can at ours. Theoretically, it costs Ayr a few quid from the odd opponent supporter that might buy a stream, but the trade-off would be Ayr able to stream an away game to it's international viewers. I think it was a good decision to work this after COVID as it adds value to the international subscribers purchase while getting the team valuable video footage. If it's a non-standard game (i.e. not Saturday between 1400 and 1700) that might allow domestic streaming, I can see it being more complicated.

3 hours ago, TxRover said:

Still trying to understand why a bad play by Big Kev is drawing such venom, while the slack passes we’ve seen weekly from other players get no mention... 

Probably because it invariably led to us going behind 🤷

1 hour ago, Thumper said:

The thing is, it's not either the club feed or nothing. There are three or four guys who record basically the entire games on their phones now and put that straight up after the game, and there's not really that much difference to go for the official feed in either the A/V quality or the level of insight provided by the commentary (this week's example is Callum picking four or five completely wrong interpretations of what happened for the penalty). If you're being paid to do a feed and some 17-year-old in the stand with an iPhone is doing a better job then this is cause for concern.

Anyone recording on from the north stand on any type of phone is automatically superior to the thousands of pounds of equipment the club are using.  

1 hour ago, ryanayr1987 said:

1 hour ago, Thumper said:

The RaithTV thing has taken time to build, and investment. The last couple of years the video quality has be upped with new cameras to match the production quality. That quality has been reached over a more than a decade long development process and steady improvements in the last few years as well. I know that the volunteers at RaithTV certainly work with the host teams to provide tips and improvements when asked for, and they are quite complimentary of the hosting of a number of teams in the League.

One of the biggest factors in a quality broadcast is the volunteers, even with dodgy equipment. TonTV was a visual horror show when I watched it during COVID, but they also had an absolutely topshelf commentator that made up for all the other things.

1 minute ago, Raithie said:

Probably because it invariably led to us going behind 🤷

Much as any number of poor defending decisions have surrendered goals. It's the venom and vitriol of the attacks on Big Kev's kicking that seem out of place. Anyone who's played ever has had those sorts of "errors", and his have been pretty few and far between this season so far, with a much better display of kicking overall. Yes, the clearance is relatively poor, but it's also a teammate whose control of that ball is, shall we say, lacking too. It's just a piling on against a single player, and the inevitability of us going behind was moreso because it was a penalty because Byrne did a monumentally stupid thing after failing to control the ball.

7 hours ago, Only me... said:

Hold on, hold on, 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 they didn't forget to build anything, there is a room for exactly this. Bunch of absolute halfwits right enough but also top of the league. Fud. 

So why were the BBC doing interviews post match in the wind and you couldn't hear anything 😂

7 hours ago, Only me... said:

Hold on, hold on, 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 they didn't forget to build anything, there is a room for exactly this. Bunch of absolute halfwits right enough but also top of the league. Fud. 

So why is the camera position for the highlights from both clubs in the opposite stand 🤔. Fud 😝😝😝

Edited by foreverarover

2 minutes ago, foreverarover said:

So why were the BBC doing interviews post match in the wind and you couldn't hear anything 😂

Choice. 

3 hours ago, TxRover said:

Still trying to understand why a bad play by Big Kev is drawing such venom, while the slack passes we’ve seen weekly from other players get no mention…

Ayr are a side that don’t extend an option to do an international video stream to RaithTV anyway, so that doesn’t matter. No idea what exactly facilities they have where RaithTV are allowed to broadcast from.

…see, this is at least a bit more balanced. Let’s remember how poor Big Kev’s kicking was last season overall. Despite that, he’s certainly won us much more than he’s cost us. His kicking this year has been miles better, but we knew there would be a few dicey matches, there alway are with any player.

I'm sorry but the keeper should have just shifted the ball onto his right foot and he would have had plenty time to play it out. 

7 minutes ago, foreverarover said:

So why is the camera position for the highlights from both clubs in the opposite stand 🤔. Fud 

You may have gleaned from discussions on here that Ayr's owner is a builder and is very keen on showing off his buildings.

That said, that the new stand has a dedicated media facility and that nobody deigns to use it is quite concerning, especially if fixing that is not cheap.

On 24/08/2024 at 16:13, FitbaSupporter said:

He has saved us many a time for sure, but there’s still a fundamental flaw in his game that needs addressed. It’s fine margins in these games and today it feels like that flaw is the difference. 

Can't be bothered going through the rest of the thread to see if this has been answered.

His kicking has improved massively this season and if you can't see that I'm not sure what you've been watching.  Yes, he made a mistake for the penalty incident and his kicking wasn't great overall yesterday.  However, when goalies make mistakes it tends to load to a goal/chance so they're always highlighted more.

He's far from the finished article and nobody will be more annoyed with his mistake than he is.  I have no doubt he'll be working with Robbie Thomson on it again today and going forward.

Ultimately, Kev has won us far more points than he's cost us.

On 25/08/2024 at 11:32, D'Jaffo said:

Did Potter not say in his post match interview that the player who was “fouled” in the build up to our second actually admitted that he slipped? 

Really minor point to be coming back to more than a day later, but Potter was referring to Callum Smith who was dispossessed (because he slipped) on the edge of Ayr's box. There's a much clearer foul later in the break on Lewis Stevenson who's the only defender with half a chance of preventing the goal. 

It's all academic, though. The game was over the second Shaun Byrne's hand touched the ball. 

1 hour ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

Really minor point to be coming back to more than a day later, but Potter was referring to Callum Smith who was dispossessed (because he slipped) on the edge of Ayr's box. There's a much clearer foul later in the break on Lewis Stevenson who's the only defender with half a chance of preventing the goal. 

It's all academic, though. The game was over the second Shaun Byrne's hand touched the ball. 

I haven't noticed a foul on a Raith player, not saying it hasn't happened but my focus is naturally drawn to the two fouls on Hastie and Syla in the build up to the second goal rather than any foul the other way, will check this out. 

When it was live I wasn't sure whether McKenzie had fouled on the edge of the box but doesn't appear to be so.  

Fine finish by Walker - reckon there's a real player there and a more than decent replacement if/when Henderson gets injured or suspended. Credit to Broonie for getting these boys on the bench aware of what's expected of them.

This far, the new signings have been quite a few notches above what we've been used to in recent times. Another couple more along those lines then we can all start to get really exci....... Oh shit, shouldn't have said that😅 

9 hours ago, Jazzar said:

Another couple more along those lines then we can all start to get really exci....... Oh shit, shouldn't have said that😅 

Being top in August means f**k all to be fair. It's not exactly the same as the Akinyemi Show was but even then there were points pre-Halloween where the whole team seemed to be pitching in.

Mitigating circumstances against Raith and beating the L1 playoff winners twice is not a great accomplishment. Pars are a disaster right now as well so if that's a win that's all for the good. Everyone else except Falkirk dropping points also helps. But the cigars don't come out until there's a double-digits points divide between Ayr and everyone else at Easter.

10 hours ago, Thumper said:

Being top in August means f**k all to be fair.

Totally agree - factor in changing weather, heavier pitches, injuries, suspensions, loss in form and just sheer bad luck with officialdom, means no one on here should be getting ahead of themselves, me included.

The factors however that make me a lot more confident are the current overall form of the team and the experience level we now have in Scott Brown and his staff, especially compared with recent seasons. Should we add a couple more signings (loans or otherwise) then we have no reason to fear any of the above (likely) mishaps along the way.