“B teams in SPFL would be good for Scottish football” - Philippe Clement

You'd think if there were any teams in the country that could afford to play more youth players at low risk it'd be Rangers and Celtic.  The way they dominate the vast majority of play in the vast majority of their games - especially at home - surely they can carry a couple of kids most weeks.  3-0 up at half time at home against St Johnstone or Ross County?  They aren't throwing those points away by blooding a 20 year old Scot or two.  They could do this, they just don't want to.  And the rest of Scottish football should not have to restructure itself to accomodate that refusal. 

On 23/08/2024 at 21:55, Kerrazoo said:

as quoted on the BBC website as if he couldn’t be more disconnected from what is good for Scottish football… it’s Clement with the B teams argument. They aren’t wanted in the Lowland league, Rangers pulled out of the Lowland league and with Rangers finances on a shoogily peg, could end up being the A team that revisits the bottom league. 

Why do they keep bringing up the B teams? The world votes no.

But then you read another part of the BBC website and it just says he agrees with the SFA report on youth football, and that doesn’t mention B teams. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/rangers

The damage that was done when Neil Doncaster, Ian Maxwell and Thomas Brown when they tried to force the conference league into our pyramid is that everyone realized they are not wanted in the pyramid system and should never be included.  There are many reasons for this and most have been covered to death on other posts so no point going over them.

I was Ok with the B teams in the league before but now with so many ripple effects, I really want them out.
The lowland league needs to bin them but every club in the lowland league makes £6250 per year so they would rather sacrifice the integrity of the lowland league and the pyramid to make this dosh

The Bigots top two in the Premiership....forever. The Wee Bigots top two in the Championship.....forever. The She Bigots top two in The SWPL....forever. That's what they (Old Firm & their media whores) want and that's where we're heading. 

On 24/08/2024 at 14:04, Broonaldo said:

I think it is a justifiable debate. What makes you say “we don’t need the B teams” - what if their inclusion did develop more young Scottish talent; what happens if it did bring more fans to the lower leagues? Isn’t that a debate worthwhile having? Isn’t that something we should investigate? I’m not saying it will (or should) happen, but surely it’s something worthy of discussion rather than simply saying “f***k off” offhand ……

For too long Scottish football fans have been too insular, too focussed on their own club rather than to consider anything that will benefit the wider game in Scotland.

I'm not focused on any club and you talk as if you have an agenda.

Majority of people are against it and the ones who aren't either don't know anything about it or are fans/members/sponsors of the old firm who want to push their teams in the pyramid.  The majority of Old firm fans don't even know that tier 5 leagues exist.

Previously I was Ok with B teams in the lowland but now I'm against them being there in any shape or form
They tried every tactic in the book to get B teems into our pyramid system and they are in, all be it, as guest teams but everyone is against it, why? it will not only damaged the pyramid that already has problems of being corrupt and self interest but will make it elitist and not a proper pyramid and thats just the shorted version.  Also where would it stop at B teams, were not just talking Rangers B, Celtic B and Hearts B, we are talking the whole premier league having their B teams joining and leagues below joining the pyramid making all the teams from tier 5 down drops a few tiers.

There needs to be a reserve league with all SPFL teams in it, why? as each team in the reserve have their B teams and every game is sprinkled with first team players getting match fitness or back from injury where the youngsters could gain valuable experience and if one youngster is showing true consistent promise them he can go out on loan.  
Think of it, why isn't there a reserve league with the old firm and guess what, there maybe even a chance of a tier 5/6/7 team putting a reserve team in the league, obviously games played in the evening.

Honestly WTF does the old firm know, they can even arrange together to get away fans to come to their games when they play each other.
Even when you think of it, when Rangers were found out about the conference league they pulled their B team out of the Lowland league in a huff and guess what, damaging those B players development so that shows you how much they care about youth teams

One final note, there is only one way I would let the B teams in, is that Rangers and Celtic leave for the English league, only then I would consider it

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread

1 minute ago, Buzz Killington said:

Who is going to pay for all of this?

Thats what you take from my post?

I never said anything about the logistics, prices etc.., I'm stating what I believe is best for Scottish football.
Been to many reserve games, last one was 2 years back I'm sure, usually 2 o clock kick off, think it was on a Monday or Tuesday but there would be full time teams and players and part time teams and players so would all have to be worked out if all returned.

P.s.. what's the difference money wise, whose going to pay for a reserve league etc, (there is already one in existence) when they would be paying the similar money or even more if in the pyramid?

Well yeah. You say you want all 42 SPFL clubs to run reserve teams.  I don't think its too much to ask how you propose teams afford it.  The Premiership teams can afford to run a first team and reserve squad but what about the Championship and lower teams.  In the Championship last season a lot of games either The Caley or their opponents couldn't fill the first team bench (or filled it with kids) now you want them and the part time teams to have a big enough squad to field a reserve team too.

31 minutes ago, Buzz Killington said:

Well yeah. You say you want all 42 SPFL clubs to run reserve teams.  I don't think its too much to ask how you propose teams afford it.  The Premiership teams can afford to run a first team and reserve squad but what about the Championship and lower teams.  In the Championship last season a lot of games either The Caley or their opponents couldn't fill the first team bench (or filled it with kids) now you want them and the part time teams to have a big enough squad to field a reserve team too.

I never said I wanted them all to run reserve teams, I'm saying I want a reserve league, which is going, whoever want to participate in it then thats up to them but they should not be allowed to move their teams to the pyramid system because they do not want to participate in the Reserve league. i.e. Rangers, Celtic and Hearts and for a while there was interest from Aberdeen and Hibs. Celtic, Rangers and Hearts do not participate in the reserve league because they have choose to do so and deciding on bribing a league with money to gain access to their league, that in essence has happened, 

Each club is run by the chairmen and members of the club, they have to make decisions base on money they have and money they do not have. Each decision good or bad will affect the team and running of such so its about the ability of running and making the right decision for their club but when it impacts others, its a different matter and can become murky to say the least.

58 minutes ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

I never said I wanted them all to run reserve teams

3 hours ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

There needs to be a reserve league with all SPFL teams in it

37 minutes ago, Buzz Killington said:

Yip Buzz is correct. But the way I was reading it, maybe I’m wrong, was that he was thinking or meaning premier league teams as they are the ones he was mentioning who do not have teams playing in the reserve league.

There is a reserve league but it’s small and I’d love to have my beloved Clyde in it with their own Reserve team but it looks a ‘bitty too far traveled’ for that level and as we have enough youngsters in the first team when needed, is there any point?. I’m saying that even though I’ve realised Queens Park play in it and QoS are in it so by all accounts they have the furtherest to travel.  But there’s not really any big teams as such but these teams can afford it.

I remember reading something that there was there a failing out with Rangers and Celtic and the SPFL and they pulled their teams and if remember correctly the league was a lot bigger, maybe even 2 divisions? 

17 minutes ago, Peechy said:

Yip Buzz is correct. But the way I was reading it, maybe I’m wrong, was that he was thinking or meaning premier league teams as they are the ones he was mentioning who do not have teams playing in the reserve league.

That makes sense.  But did the Premiership clubs not vote to scrap the old reserve league.  Of course that vote to scrap it was maybe assuming  B teams would happen in the SPFL or the conference nonsense.

5 minutes ago, Buzz Killington said:

That makes sense.  But did the Premiership clubs not vote to scrap the old reserve league.  Of course that vote to scrap it was maybe assuming  B teams would happen in the SPFL or the conference nonsense.

SPFL started with a Development League. Toward the end of the 2010s that was rebranded as the Reserve League. They even had enough for two Divisions. After the first season most of the big Premiership clubs pulled out. Many saying the Brentford B team model of organised friendlies would be more effective. The Reserve League carried on with what was left until COVID.

Since then its been a bit of joke with 9 game seasons boosted by a group stage league cup.

With the teams in the Reserve League, the Lowland B teams, and SPFL clubs in the LL/WoS/EoS Development Leagues. As well as Stranraer in the SoS. There's probably close to 20 SPFL teams that have some sort of organised "reserve" team.

5 hours ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

I'm not focused on any club and you talk as if you have an agenda.

Majority of people are against it and the ones who aren't either don't know anything about it or are fans/members/sponsors of the old firm who want to push their teams in the pyramid.  The majority of Old firm fans don't even know that tier 5 leagues exist.

Previously I was Ok with B teams in the lowland but now I'm against them being there in any shape or form
They tried every tactic in the book to get B teems into our pyramid system and they are in, all be it, as guest teams but everyone is against it, why? it will not only damaged the pyramid that already has problems of being corrupt and self interest but will make it elitist and not a proper pyramid and thats just the shorted version.  Also where would it stop at B teams, were not just talking Rangers B, Celtic B and Hearts B, we are talking the whole premier league having their B teams joining and leagues below joining the pyramid making all the teams from tier 5 down drops a few tiers.

There needs to be a reserve league with all SPFL teams in it, why? as each team in the reserve have their B teams and every game is sprinkled with first team players getting match fitness or back from injury where the youngsters could gain valuable experience and if one youngster is showing true consistent promise them he can go out on loan.  
Think of it, why isn't there a reserve league with the old firm and guess what, there maybe even a chance of a tier 5/6/7 team putting a reserve team in the league, obviously games played in the evening.

Honestly WTF does the old firm know, they can even arrange together to get away fans to come to their games when they play each other.
Even when you think of it, when Rangers were found out about the conference league they pulled their B team out of the Lowland league in a huff and guess what, damaging those B players development so that shows you how much they care about youth teams

One final note, there is only one way I would let the B teams in, is that Rangers and Celtic leave for the English league, only then I would consider it

No offence mate but that’d be even worse than them getting B teams in thr Championship now, they piss off to England or a European League earning mega money but leave their proxy club here to still hoover up the Scottish trophies.  

No doubt we’ll get the same old shite soon about huge away crowd’s for their B teams despite pitiful crowds in the Lowland League and Diddy Cup games. Get this idea so far back into the sea.   

5 hours ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Good!! 🤣

I'm sure they were completely ruined on their adventures around in the UEFA youth league, the Hong Kong 7s, a trip to play a competition in Eindhoven, playing English B teams, Leeds, Brentford, Bolton, Burnley, Everton, Man Utd and many more, then also Real Betis and Royal Antwerp instead of playing in the Lowland League. :rolleyes:

Now they have to play Fraserburgh in the Challenge Cup in September, yeah domestic competition, I really feel for them.

I'm now confused by your use of the word damaging. 🤣

how are they being damaged?

6 hours ago, Buzz Killington said:

Sorry Buzz you are correct but its like everything when we type, I was meaning the premier league teams and probably thinking everyone knew what I meant as teams lower down could not afford it.  I don't think there have been many teams in the SPFL 1 and 2 with reserve teams for a long time.  I'm mainly talking about Rangers, Celtic, Heart, Aberdeen, Hibs and think Motherwell were interested in the conference league?  but the reserve league is open to every SPFL team if they want to add a reserve team.

4 hours ago, The Black Flag said:

Good!! 🤣

I'm sure they were completely ruined on their adventures around in the UEFA youth league, the Hong Kong 7s, a trip to play a competition in Eindhoven, playing English B teams, Leeds, Brentford, Bolton, Burnley, Everton, Man Utd and many more, then also Real Betis and Royal Antwerp instead of playing in the Lowland League. :rolleyes:

Now they have to play Fraserburgh in the Challenge Cup in September, yeah domestic competition, I really feel for them.

I'm now confused by your use of the word damaging. 🤣

how are they being damaged?

Hey Black Flag

I don't think Rangers were involved in the UEFA youth cup last season 23/24, as I'm sure it was Hamilton and Celtic but in season 22/23 it was Rangers and Celtic but both only played 6 games each and both failing to qualify.  Are Rangers reserves in the UEFA this year as the websites haven't been updated yet?

I don't care what anyone says, the team going to Hong Kong 7s,  English playing B teams and other national teams is like Jollys, the excitement of travelling, staying in hotels, going abroad is exciting for these 17 year old, never mind during the game but in evenings as well doing stuff together.

When I say damaging, I was meaning within days,  Rangers FC took the huff and the B teams out of the League so they would have had to quickly arranged these games and small tournaments as cover.  So by damaging the players I mean, Rangers FC did not give a shit to any of those Lads in the B team when they pulled the plug immediately from the Lowland League.

I've had watched the 3 teams in the Lowland league over the years and the team who has benefited the most is Hearts as the team gained experienced last year already had experience the year before but this season are still strong but lost a few players as younger new ones coming through. Celtic team is strong as far as I'm lead to believe the majority payed last year in the Lowland.

As i have watched games with these teams over past 3 years I was, well not against B teams in the league but now I'm against them totally.  Thats my view sorry if it differs from others