🔵🦁 Raith Rovers v Livingston 🟡🦁 - 31st August 2024

28 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Supposedly we're not all about what other team's players do, and it's more on what ours do, leaving good attacking players like Green out to try and nullify opposition players is how we played in the Premiership, and how we lost a cup final against St Johnstone. Also think Green's good at ball winning too.

Pittman has scored twice in our 3 games. He can partly get forward so often because Brandon does such good defensive work. That platform Brandon provides also benefits Kelly hugely. Moving Brandon to right back would also punt Finlayson out the team, the player who assisted the goal in our last match and whose performances have been solid.

Martindale's tactics are not unusual. High-flying Ayr play with Dempsey in the same tactical role as Brandon. They then play Rus who would be the Green but we already have Kelly doing that job for us. Henderson is like their Pittman but he starts wider because they use a 4-4-2. 

Falkirk have began the season like a house on fire because they've an unchanged side from the one that went unbeaten all last season. Scott Brown has been able to build his side since the second half of last season. Martindale has only been shaping his side since July. 

Edited by Freedom Farter

4 hours ago, Cptn Hooch said:

Shinnie was arguably our best player against Morton

Shinnie was really good when he stopped playing out wide and drifted into a more central position. We did however as a result of this lose width down the left. 

Shinnie is a technically gifted player but just simply isn't effective as a winger. We need wingers who are going to get in behind and beat a man. Too often do we see our central striker picking the ball up out wide then we end up lacking a good finisher in the box.

May isn't the player he used to be but from Saturday's game it's clear he's still got an eye for goal so if we get the ball to him in the penalty area there's a good chance he'll score. 

As a team we are very capable of moving the ball around and doing so quickly but at times under Martindale I have absolutely no idea what our attacking game plan is. Saturday was the first time I've noticed him get visibly frustrated at how slow we were with constant shouts of "quicker". We were consistently amongst, if not the lowest scoring team in the premiership and this season Martindale has to find a way to totally reverse that and get us scoring a lot more goals. 

It looked like Sole got a groin strain against Dunfermline and those take around 4 - 6 weeks to heal fully. So he'll hopefully be able to start our next match after this one, Hamilton on Sep 14th. I wouldn't expect more than the 20 minute sub appearance again for this game. This is a complete guess.

I wouldn't have changed anything from the QP match but May went straight into the team. That's fine and now I'd like to see the Morton line up just used again. 

3 hours ago, Livi said:

Predicting the first Livi defeat of the season. Raith needs to start firing on all cylinders at some point and will have home advantage.

2-1 Raith 

Unless you have defenders who like to score own goals or give away needless penalties you don't need to worry about us scoring. 

12 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Unless you have defenders who like to score own goals or give away needless penalties you don't need to worry about us scoring. 

We've given away needles/clumsy penalties in 2 of our 3 league games, Dunfermline missed theirs (and prob wouldn't have made a difference with us 2-0 up going into added time) but that's how Morton scored to get a draw in a game we were cruising.

Would be great If things finally click for us in front of goal, and instead of hitting the woodwork we score, we're shit hot at hitting the post and bar this season (think there should be a bonus point in drawn games, for who's hit the woodwork the most).

16 hours ago, Beachbum said:

Saturday's ref is Colin F Steven.

16 hours ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Oh FFS, who's getting sent off this week😩

10 hours ago, Double Jack D said:

f**k sake, perfect storm complete!

Can't say i know anything about him, don't recognize the name. Is he particularly bad for sending Raith players off, or just sending players off in general?

17 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Can't say i know anything about him, don't recognize the name. Is he particularly bad for sending Raith players off, or just sending players off in general?

He's just a shite referee who is more than prone to make mistakes.

16 hours ago, Freedom Farter said:

Pittman has scored twice in our 3 games. He can partly get forward so often because Brandon does such good defensive work. That platform Brandon provides also benefits Kelly hugely. Moving Brandon to right back would also punt Finlayson out the team, the player who assisted the goal in our last match and whose performances have been solid.

Martindale's tactics are not unusual. High-flying Ayr play with Dempsey in the same tactical role as Brandon. They then play Rus who would be the Green but we already have Kelly doing that job for us. Henderson is like their Pittman but he starts wider because they use a 4-4-2. 

Falkirk have began the season like a house on fire because they've an unchanged side from the one that went unbeaten all last season. Scott Brown has been able to build his side since the second half of last season. Martindale has only been shaping his side since July. 

Yeah it's good having competition for places, but i think there's better options on the bench that i'd prefer seeing play, and would give us a better attacking threat to score. Finlayson and Shinnie haven't done much wrong to be dropped, but Green just looks a better option, same with Lawal, anytime either has played you can see the fans leaning forward a bit and anticipating something happening in attack. Controversial but we could also drop Pitts to keep Brandon playing in midfield, and bring in Green, again there'll be folk saying Pitts scored, and again i'd say yes, but changing our starting line up means having us playing differently to see others scoring more goals.

Also liked Prior's distribution, his kicking was excellent and accurate, he's also quick and direct getting it up the pitch to one of our players, but again, Shamal hasn't done a lot wrong to be dropped. Just his kicking isn't as good and he takes an age to get the ball out.

May coming in has also given us choices up front, getting the right combo between players, Yengi is decent if the ball is played in front of him, and not with his back to goal, but again, i think May and Muirhead would be better together.

12 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Yeah it's good having competition for places, but i think there's better options on the bench that i'd prefer seeing play, and would give us a better attacking threat to score. Finlayson and Shinnie haven't done much wrong to be dropped, but Green just looks a better option, same with Lawal, anytime either has played you can see the fans leaning forward a bit and anticipating something happening in attack. Controversial but we could also drop Pitts to keep Brandon playing in midfield, and bring in Green, again there'll be folk saying Pitts scored, and again i'd say yes, but changing our starting line up means having us playing differently to see others scoring more goals.

Also liked Prior's distribution, his kicking was excellent and accurate, he's also quick and direct getting it up the pitch to one of our players, but again, Shamal hasn't done a lot wrong to be dropped. Just his kicking isn't as good and he takes an age to get the ball out.

May coming in has also given us choices up front, getting the right combo between players, Yengi is decent if the ball is played in front of him, and not with his back to goal, but again, i think May and Muirhead would be better together.

With the subs last Saturday, I'd rather it had been Green not McAlear for Brandon then Lawal not Muirhead for Shinnie. On Lawal, here's a good clip compilation of him last season:

1 hour ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

You're in for a treat. There will almost certainly be a significant refereeing talking point on Saturday.

8 hours ago, Specky Ginger said:

For anyone coming to the game from the Tay Bridge, the A92 is shut all weekend at Parbroath crossroads. Not sure how long the diversion is.

8 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

The Cluny road is also closed for the next couple of weeks for anyone travelling from the Glenrothes area.

8 hours ago, CountryBumpkin said:

And for anyone coming from Dysart way, the dumbest set of temporary traffic lights are at the bottom of St. Clair Street onto Nether Street towards the Prom. 

This feels like the episode of Still Game where jack and Victor tried to stop Winston delivering their pizza on time, so they'd get it for free. Is there any snipers waiting to take out the tyres on our team bus, and a fridge waiting to drop on it from a bridge?