Junior football - What is the future?

It's back!

With some people hell bent on going back, who are we guessing will make up the inaugural New Scottish Junior League?

Here's my favourites... 

Gartciarn

Armadale

Shotts

Bathgate

West Calder United

St Ants

Neilston

Beith

Sauchie

Ardeer

Irvine Meadow(?)

Any more?

I know Talbot will get mentioned but I think the people in charge are quite happy where they are. Going by the recent vote though, I feel there are a lot more teams who would jump back of given the chance.

Would the EoS or WoS FA's really be bothered about losing these teams? The EoS managed fine for nearly a century without them... 

7 minutes ago, Spyro said:

It's back!

With some people hell bent on going back, who are we guessing will make up the inaugural New Scottish Junior League?

Here's my favourites... 

Gartciarn

Armadale

Shotts

Bathgate

West Calder United

St Ants

Neilston

Beith

Sauchie

Ardeer

Irvine Meadow(?)

Any more?

I know Talbot will get mentioned but I think the people in charge are quite happy where they are. Going by the recent vote though, I feel there are a lot more teams who would jump back of given the chance.

Would the EoS or WoS FA's really be bothered about losing these teams? The EoS managed fine for nearly a century without them... 

Troon,Largs and Hurlford 

I really hope not for Meadow to go to a new Junior league. We need to be in the pyramid for SFA license we worked so hard for and spent so much money on upgrading facilities especially floodlights so I highly doubt it.

Hurlford would be the first big name I would think of who you often hear rumblings from their committee they are a Junior team and Killie are the local senior team plus don't seem interested at all in getting a SFA license as far as I can tell or read here and elsewhere.

17 minutes ago, Shannon said:

I really hope not for Meadow to go to a new Junior league. We need to be in the pyramid for SFA license we worked so hard for and spent so much money on upgrading facilities especially floodlights so I highly doubt it.

Hurlford would be the first big name I would think of who you often hear rumblings from their committee they are a Junior team and Killie are the local senior team plus don't seem interested at all in getting a SFA license as far as I can tell or read here and elsewhere.

I really wasn't sure about Meadow tbh. Their 1st crack at the Scottish Cup was the thing that got me into the world of Junior football in the west as a East Coast kid living up north. They had a brilliant run and made everyone take notice. Hopefully they want a bit more of that opportunity after doing all the hard work and getting their licence sorted

Is there any actual rumblings of a Central Junior League away from pyramid? If so Fauldhouse as they seem to be having a nightmare at very bottom of East now after being a big name at our level.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Shannon said:

Is there any actual rumblings of a Central Junior League away from pyramid? If so Fauldhouse as they seem to be having a nightmare at very bottom of East now after being a big name at our level.

New regime at Fudhouse now. I was surprised they didn't enter the Junior Cup this season but they probably didn't fancy getting bodied by some Division 3 team from the West.

Edited by Spyro

I think it's a great idea for clubs who can't shake off the junior tag 2 go back n can play in a league that suits them. Yer man Rooney at Kilbirnie sold most teams a lie how bad the wosl was gonnie be for west juniors then at last minute changed his mind as did the rest of west juniors and they all jumped across, scared 2 stay cos there next village rivals quit the juniors. Ive nothing against the juniors before use all start the every bankies fan hates the juniors pi$h. Some of my best moments as a bankies fan has been in juniors but time for us 2move on do what's best for us and teams should also do what's best for them in long run. 

Mon the papers

Irvine Vics 100%

Gartcairn i believe is a no

They are putting to much into it and have their disabled section incorporated and they now just need the other turnstiles fitted and the bulk of the ground conditions will be sorted. Even though Alex wants the junior cup mandatory and the SSC optional he does want success for Gartcairn and would want them to stay in the pyramid with a new SFA license and see how they get on but its not just him, the rest of the committee would want Gartcairn to stay.

I'd also add Maybole, and Glasgow United.  Thorniewood United I would have said yes but after speaking to a few they have plans for the future and want to progress.
Teams like Benburb, known for their junior views definitely wont be going back, since leaving the junior league they have an SFA license and have their own thriving academy, entry to the Scottish cup every year and are over the moon at their progress in the WOSFL, even getting put out by Pollok in the preliminary round of the Scottish Cup (23/24) and they made over £4000,  they know they would be mad to leave

Me personally, I have no problem whatsoever if teams wanted to leave and set up their own junior league,  I would happily encourage them and open the door and wish them all the best. 

The only changes I would make is:

# NO junior cup games allowed for our members so no making space for them.
# The winner of the Scottish junior cup will no longer qualify for next season Scottish cup.
# All pyramid member must support all our cups and league promotion wise,  some already doing a great job and so are some junior orientated teams

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread

40 minutes ago, passbackdave said:

Yer man Rooney at Kilbirnie sold most teams a lie how bad the wosl was gonnie be for west juniors then at last minute changed his mind as did the rest of west juniors and they all jumped across, scared 2 stay cos there next village rivals quit the juniors.

Forgot about Kilbirnie! 

8 hours ago, Shannon said:

Great option for locals to have a team in the area from a different grade / level.  Can get that thinking.  The vast majority of WOSFL clubs have that mindset even if they don't openly say-so. 

As much as things have changed being a separate entity and option for people to the absolute nightmare that is anything overseen by cabal at the SFA had its merits. 

Are you trying to start a war!😌😌

With my usual disclaimer; no a fan if a particular club.

What benefits would there be for any clubs to break away and form a separate league. Would it not be better for any club that wants/feels the need to still be a junior club to put all their efforts into the SJC.  

The SJC is the heritage that the Junioristas can pass onto future generations.

I know nothing of setting up a jew keague; would it need ratifying by the  SFA.

9 hours ago, Spyro said:

It's back!

Here's my favourites... 

Gartciarn

Armadale

Shotts

Bathgate

West Calder United

St Ants

Neilston

Beith

Sauchie

Ardeer

Irvine Meadow(?)

Any more?

is anyone outside of Beith and Medda a big miss on that list? 

Can’t see any benefit for any clubs going back to the junior model. I’m sure most clubs who joined the WoSFL will admit it’s better than the junior setup. Most clubs get their sweet spot playing in their beloved junior cup. Far better channeling their efforts into a national non-league cup rather than breaking away to form a league outside of the pyramid.

Don't take this thread as a serious topic. We all know that any SJFA Central League would be at Tier 5! Which isn't a joke, as thats what the SJFA voted for a couple of years ago. Showing they'd learned nothing :)

There's no need for a SJFA West Region anymore as we've seen the WoSFL start to become that regardless. The SJFA COO can be WoSFL President. The SJFA secretary(?) can be WoSFL secretary. The SJC is prioritised in fixtures. Old West Region committee members are honoured by the WoSFL. Doubt there will be much difference between the WoSFL / North Region / East Region soon. Want to join the league? You have to join the SJFA.

Edited by FairWeatherFan

10 hours ago, Spyro said:

It's back!

Here's my favourites... 

Gartciarn

Armadale

Shotts

Bathgate

West Calder United

St Ants

Neilston

Beith

Sauchie

Ardeer

Irvine Meadow(?)

Any more?

This is a dead horse, I have never heard any clubs even the ones like Talbot actively pursuing to end the WoS league. For that to happen you'd need support of the big teams like Talbot who I believe still have a lot of sway over other teams, Pollok, Beith, Bankies etc...to support it which none of the ones mentioned I think would be in favour of. 

I still think the pyramid system is flawed while you have the LL in place. Tier 5 should be WoS Prem, EoS prem, HL there is no need or benefit to the LL. The winner of the 3 leagues play in a play off and winner of that goes into SPFL 2 play off. For the pyramid to work the LL needs to be scraped however turkeys don't vote for Christmas and the LL teams for a lot of them know they'd struggle to compete in WoS prem. 

38 minutes ago, leaguereformer said:

This is a dead horse, I have never heard any clubs even the ones like Talbot actively pursuing to end the WoS league. For that to happen you'd need support of the big teams like Talbot who I believe still have a lot of sway over other teams, Pollok, Beith, Bankies etc...to support it which none of the ones mentioned I think would be in favour of. 

I still think the pyramid system is flawed while you have the LL in place. Tier 5 should be WoS Prem, EoS prem, HL there is no need or benefit to the LL. The winner of the 3 leagues play in a play off and winner of that goes into SPFL 2 play off. For the pyramid to work the LL needs to be scraped however turkeys don't vote for Christmas and the LL teams for a lot of them know they'd struggle to compete in WoS prem. 

It was the SPFL that demanded only 2 feeder leagues.It had nothing to do with the LL.

I'm very disappointed that this isn't the old thread of the same name risen from the grave. That was comedy gold! Dozens of pages of it. The guy who looked at the word "pyramid" umpteen times a day and still couldn't spell it was my particular favourite. 

15 minutes ago, Eadie is God said:

It was the SPFL that demanded only 2 feeder leagues.It had nothing to do with the LL.

Two was the compromise. SPL / SFL wanted a national league. The different regional leagues didn't want to be broken up for that. It was probably necessary when it started, and become so again, due to licensing. Doubt the WoSFL or EoSFL would want the headache of imposing at least Entry level licensing on their top divisions.

26 minutes ago, Eadie is God said:

In my opinion one of the reasons we still have so much debate about pyramid below SPFL is this daft request and lack of forward thinking of the future that any SPFL clubs might go down. With the geography and population of Scotland in my opinion it really should have been split into 3 - West, East & Highland Leagues. With winners going into a play off v bottom of SPFL Two but obviously wanted to protect club 42 to give them more chance to stay up with the current set up where club 42 just needs to win one play off game.

I think for example Albion Rovers would have brought much more to West of Scotland Premier League than Broomhill will...perhaps as early as next season 

Edited by Shannon

1 minute ago, Shannon said:

When geography and population of Scotland in my opinion it really should have been split into 3 - West, East & Highland Leagues. With winners going into a play off v bottom of SPFL Two but obviously wanted to protect club 42 to give them more chance to stay up with this set up in my opinion.

The SJFA didn't want in the pyramid regardless. How are you supposed to split into 3? They barely had enough teams to fill the Lowland?

Can't just blame protectionism on the SPFL when everyone was at it. There was really only the divide in the two division EoSFL that were willing to rip itself apart.