🔴🟡Thistle vs Alloa Athletic🟠⚫️ Challenge Cup - 7th September 2024

R&Y99

I'd guess that we will go close to full strength for this one.

It would be good to see Ablade get the start, but if Graham is even close to fully fit you know he'll want to play. Liam Smith is another one who I hope will feature in a decent capacity.

I also think that no matter what we do in terms of starting lineup, this will be a close game. We're consistently poor in this competition and have been eliminated by a lower league team (all from L1) at an early stage in all three seasons since the competition returned after the COVID shutdown.

Yeah Alloa are unbeaten so far and have had 4 clean sheets out of 5 in the league as well as beating St Johnstone in the group stages, and given our absolutely stinking record in this competition it wouldn't be a huge shock if we went out.

To expand on that :

We've had 1 final defeat and 3 semi final defeats in 20-odd goes at it.
We've lost all 5 penalty shoot outs we've taken part in 
5 of the last 6 teams to put us out -not counting the years our B team entered- have been in a lower division than us (sorry @Nightmare , QoS in 21-22 were in the championship as were we).

Much increased prize money in this competition and at least avoiding another championship team is a decent enough start and with it being a Saturday 3pm there's no need for huge changes, I'd like to see Smith and Ablade from the start but I'd be saying that if we were playing a league game as well.

Edited by Fuctifano

43 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

Yeah Alloa are unbeaten so far and have had 4 clean sheets out of 5 in the league as well as beating St Johnstone in the group stages, and given our absolutely stinking record in this competition it wouldn't be a huge shock if we went out.

To expand on that :

5 of the last 6 teams to put us out -not counting the years our B team entered- have been in a lower division than us (sorry @Nightmare , QoS in 21-22 were in the championship as were we).

Much increased prize money in this competition and at least avoiding another championship team is a decent enough start and with it being a Saturday 3pm there's no need for huge changes, I'd like to see Smith and Ablade from the start but I'd be saying that if we were playing a league game as well.

Cheers for the clarification - in my head I had QotS being relegated the season before.

So in reality it’s 5/6 eliminations from a lower league team and a 6th who finished 10th in the Championship. A brutal record.

On 03/09/2024 at 23:35, R&Y99 said:

Interested to see how heavily (or not) we rotate our team for this. 

Mcgeady

Nilsson Was Aero (if fit) Sayer

Stanway Lyon

Robinson 

Smith   Ablade McKenzie 

Roberts

Milne

Mcbeth

Banzo

Aidan

Chalmers

Ricco

I am going to guess we don’t change the team too drastically for this. I think Doolan will want to create some momentum after our first league win. 

That said I think a couple of changes will be made, I think we will see Ablade and Smith starting. Would be happy for Lyon to maintain his place, although that is Robinson back from suspension.

As much as I’d like to see Ablade start in the cup, I’m sure Graham will be wanting to start this game after going a few without a goal. So you never know, we may see him retain his place.

12 hours ago, jaggyhill said:

Mcgeady

Nilsson Was Aero (if fit) Sayer

Stanway Lyon

Robinson 

Smith   Ablade McKenzie 

I know the competition isn’t taken that seriously, but signing Aidan McGeady to stick him in goals is a bit much. 

I don’t see us making many changes for this one. Wonder if Zander might get the opportunity to start in his natural position after last week’s positive cameo. Maybe Ablade getting a start for Graham but can’t see any more than that. 

I personally wouldn't change anything with the exception of Ablade & Smith getting a full 45mins whether it be the first half or second & try to keep good momentum going taking us into the Ayr game at Somerset 

Still in two minds whether to toddle along to this or not. 

Last Saturday was a lot brighter but far from perfect.

I'd stick with the same defence to start.

Midfield was brighter too and I wouldn't mind seeing the same lineup but with  Robinson available and if Crawford is fit, the manager might want to get them reintroduced. 

It would be good to see if Chalmers can play a bit more on the front foot and build his confidence. He has seemed to play within himself so far. Similar could be said about Fitzpatrick. 

Smith looked bright enough on his debut so may come into the reckoning with McKenzie.

Up top could see Terry get a start but as said BBG will want to get in amongst the goals as soon as possible.

Overall I wouldn't make too many changes and see if we can create some chances from open play and convert a few into goals. 

If we go into the game with a positive attitude we should progress. Too much chopping and changing could lead to our usual early exit. One or two changes at maximum and build some momentum going into the Ayr game would be my take on things.

On 04/09/2024 at 20:44, Fuctifano said:

To expand on that :

St Johnstone game certainly the highlight but we haven't been great since then. Some of the key men from last season are carrying injuries and we've still to replace the young loans in attack who ended up being so important to us. Hopefully we'll get some loans in imminently to boost the attacking options but currently we don't offer a great threat. Not helped by our own young striker Luke Rankin, who was great against St Johnstone, also being injured. Sammo will almost certainly be leading the line tomorrow. 

The positive has been that the team has been battling well anyway and grinding out wins and draws. But we're very much a work in progress and I'd expect Thistle to win here and perhaps comfortably enough. Would also like to see us give the likes of Nevans and O' Donnell a shot from the start in this kind of game. 

Edited by Waspie

20 minutes ago, Claudia Gentile said:

Milne or Sayers at left back?

According to transfermarkt (I know), Sayers has played at centre half a fair bit for the Tottenham youth sides and a couple of times for Southend so I’d guess at him there and Milne at left back. 

Fairly uneventful first half, although we’ve been the better side and deserve the lead. Sayers has looked competent at centre half despite a relative lack of challenge.

Lyon hasn’t been involved in the game, and I’d get him off for Zander.