Scots in Europe - Women's Football

lau03143

Can't see a topic for this... anyway.

Rangers playing Arsenal at the moment in the UWCL in teh first qualifying round.

Arsenal just taken the lead. 1-0, and been all Arsenal. Awful goalkeeping from Vic Esson.

Streaming on Arsenal.com

https://www.arsenal.com/news/watch-our-uwcl-qualifier-against-Rangers-live

Edited by lau03143
Adding link.

A lesson last night for Rangers. I think there were still plenty of positives to take from the game as there is levels of a difference between the teams.

Rangers were very disciplined in the first half, and restricted them to not very much in front of goal. Esson just isn't up to it as a keeper and sold them short for that first goal.

I think that caused Rangers to open up in the second half with Macauley coming on for Hay, which I think upset the balance just a bit.

The main issue I felt was that Rangers had no out ball. Howat struggles to hold the ball up in these type of games. She was similar at City, and needs support from midfield, but she was feeding off scraps.

The UWCL is a tournament where the draw can be very favourable for you. The likes of Howat, Doherty have played in it before getting to latter stages with City, so it is very much achievable for Scottish teams, it really is unfortunate Rangers drew Arsenal at this stage, a team who will feel they have a squad that can challenge to win the full competition.

Celtic's game kicked off at 11am local time, on a midweek morning. Speaks volumes about how seriously the authorities take women's football, and sends a heavy signal that they don't expect anyone else to take it seriously either.

It's the Champions League FFS, the marketing and awareness-raising opportunities ought to be obvious.

Saw Glasgow City at this stage of the Champions League last season. First game at Petershill. The entire tie was over by halftime.

Going by Celtic’s opponents having something like 13 internationalists in their pool, i'd say it was a big ask for Celtic to get passed them, even with two home games.

5 hours ago, PossilYM said:

Saw Glasgow City at this stage of the Champions League last season. First game at Petershill. The entire tie was over by halftime.

Going by Celtic’s opponents having something like 13 internationalists in their pool, i'd say it was a big ask for Celtic to get passed them, even with two home games.

It's a big ask for them for sure, but it's probably the kindest draw they could have gotten looking at the other teams.

I usually root against all things Old Firm but I really hope they can do it.