Portugal v Scotland

JS_FFC

10 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

We can't match up with these teams. The only way we will get a result is with a smash and grab which we came close to last night.

Any other expectations is totally delusional

Asking people to be objective and rational with anything Scotland related at the moment is an impossible task unfortunately.

2 hours ago, Fletchers Saucy Manbun said:

2-1 going on 6 or 7-1 and supporters are happy with the performance. We're a very strange footballing nation.

This is absolute nonsense.   The kind of stats driven pish that ignores how the game went.

Portugal were the better team but to suggest it was some one sided procession towards goal is drivel.   They created littke in the first half, couple of decent efforts and 1 good chance but we were pretty comfortable defensively. 

They started the 2nd half well but the goal was a poor one from the keeper.  Then we had a good spell ourselves until the turning point of the game, the substitution of McLean and Dykes when they got a grip of the game in an attacking sense.   And even at that, 4 of their best chances came in a mad 30 second spell and two of them would have been disallowed for offside.

They created the best chances and no complaints over result but it was never a battering

1 minute ago, Jives Miguel said:

Asking people to be objective and rational with anything Scotland related at the moment is an impossible task unfortunately.

Can you quote someone saying they expect us to control possession or take the game to Portugal?

4 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

This is absolute nonsense.   The kind of stats driven pish that ignores how the game went.

Portugal were the better team but to suggest it was some one sided procession towards goal is drivel.   They created littke in the first half, couple of decent efforts and 1 good chance but we were pretty comfortable defensively. 

They started the 2nd half well but the goal was a poor one from the keeper.  Then we had a good spell ourselves until the turning point of the game, the substitution of McLean and Dykes when they got a grip of the game in an attacking sense.   And even at that, 4 of their best chances came in a mad 30 second spell and two of them would have been disallowed for offside.

They created the best chances and no complaints over result but it was never a battering

Not stats driven anything, I watched the game. Those few ok spells aside we were poor and pretty much battered other than the final goals tally. Which the stats back up.

16 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I don't think going all 6 games without a win in a Nations League A group is necessarily that unexpected for the bottom seeds, likewise not winning a game at a tournament. It's disappointing and can definitely be classed as a failure, but it's completely different to not winning games in a normal qualifying group where you are playing a mix of quality.

Awful Take. Pointless showing up for any game if you do not want to win. No wonder we are s***e with a poor mentality like that. I do not expect to be beating likes of Germany etc but I sitll expect to go there to try and win, that is the difference.

We do not need fancy new facilities to get better players, we need rid of the prehistoric, dinosaur mindset we have in this country and to be ok with demanding more and demanding to be better. Sick of the happy, go lucky, we are just here for a good time malarkey.

CLARKE 10000% out and should be replaced by anyone not Scottish and who is not a dinosaur so that rules likes of Moyes and Lennon out.

Edited by troopio
had a swear word

2 hours ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

But , in the first half especially , we could not keep possession.

We were getting ground down

6 minutes ago, troopio said:

Awful Take. Pointless showing up for any game if you do not want to win. No wonder we are s***e with a poor mentality like that. I do not expect to be beating likes of Germany etc but I sitll expect to go there to try and win, that is the difference.

We do not need fancy new facilities to get better players, we need rid of the prehistoric, dinosaur mindset we have in this country and to be ok with demanding more and demanding to be better. Sick of the happy, go lucky, we are just here for a good time malarkey.

CLARKE 10000% out and should be replaced by anyone not Scottish and who is not a dinosaur so that rules likes of Moyes and Lennon out.

Which Lennon ?

6 minutes ago, rainbowrising said:

The idea Portugal created little in the first half with just a couple of decent chances clearly watches the game through thistle encrusted glasses. 

To be fair, my experience with Thistle encrusted glasses is almost entirely negative for club and country.

3 hours ago, craigkillie said:

You could just read the actual words of the post instead of the ones you think you're reading, but based on previous posts I suspect that's beyond you.

What exactly has he said that is incorrect? In this instance it would be quite unexpected for us to go thru the group without winning a game. Poland are not a great team. And Croatia are not as good as they were, certainly at home we should be expecting to beat at least Poland.

Secondly if you disagree with how he has interpreted your post why not simply say "that's not what I meant"? Your posting style gives off strong indications of someone trying to compensate for failure.

I can imagine Portuguese fans were somewhat disappointed with their own team's performance last night. Shades of their performance against Slovenia at the Euros, at times grinding the game to a halt despite some slick possession.

My one positive take from last night is that early in the second half, when it looked like we were going to be totally camped on our own back line, we did push out and worry them for a bit. Sadly it didn't last, and they did what they needed to do.

15 hours ago, MarkoRaj said:

So you admit it, possession and shots are less important than conceding goals?

Wtf are you on about?

The more shots you encounter on your goal and the more possession increases the chances of losing the game. Let's not kid ourselves on here, Portgual were very unfortunate not to beat us by a much larger scoreline which has given some posters like yourself some credence to think we did really well.

Due to the narrow scoreline, some of the shite that is being posted through Scottish tinted spectacles is FAF.

19 hours ago, troopio said:

Even a non dinosaur could not improve our ball skills !