Portugal v Scotland

JS_FFC

23 minutes ago, Old Bing said:

Well I mean, they certainly point don't point to us playing well do they? Which is what's being proposed.

14 games no wins I know people are grasping at straws now but it's getting ridiculous.

Honestly can't understand for the life of me what game some people on here actually watched, mind blowing. 

Would the same be said if they buried their chances? Doubt it very much. 

2 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

You say that like its a new thing. It isnt. 😉

Dykes has been Clarke's first choice pretty much consistently since his 1st cap other than a wee spell shortly after Euro 20 when Adams got the nod. Other than that Adams' starts have largely been when Dykes was unavailable. 

I haven't always been a fan of Dykes and Adams is the better footballer but don't think it's in question now, Dykes is a much better fit for this team, we lose a lot when he's not available 

32 minutes ago, Butters Scotch said:

Honestly can't understand for the life of me what game some people on here actually watched, mind blowing. 

They missed alot of shots, so we played well is the jist of it 🤣

2 hours ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

Possession and shots do not equal quality of chances.  

Hearts had over 60% of the ball and over 20 shots more than once last season and didn't win.   And deservedly so on at least 2 of those occasions.

Portugal had a lot of speculative shots because they struggled for large chunks of the game to create good quality opportunities.

Dundee United had 42 shots in their Scottish cup exit at QoS last season.  They were really rubbish. 

22 hours ago, adamntg said:

Dundee United had 42 shots in their Scottish cup exit at QoS last season.  They were really rubbish. 

And one that went in, followed the most blatant handball ever witnessed.   They were outrageously fortunate to make it to penalties. 

15 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

And one that went in, followed the most blatant handball ever witnessed.   They were outrageously fortunate to make it to penalties. 

That's true, but it was hardly Maradona against England. Not sure it was the "most blatant handball ever witnessed".

It was however abundantly obvious to everyone in the ground except the two that mattered. Genuinely don't think I've ever been personally in the ground at one that was so obvious and not given. It took what seemed an interminable time for my brain to realise he was actually going to give the goal. I just assumed we were going back to take the free kick for what seemed like an age but was probably only 10 or 15 seconds.

On 10/09/2024 at 22:29, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

Honestly, some posters on here wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a football and a grapefruit.

I'd rather eat the football tbh.

3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

That's true, but it was hardly Maradona against England. Not sure it was the "most blatant handball ever witnessed".

It was however abundantly obvious to everyone in the ground except the two that mattered. Genuinely don't think I've ever been personally in the ground at one that was so obvious and not given. It took what seemed an interminable time for my brain to realise he was actually going to give the goal. I just assumed we were going back to take the free kick for what seemed like an age but was probably only 10 or 15 seconds.

You're right.

In common with most of us who watched it at the time, I didn't spot the Maradona handball at first either. The English TV commentator was the same.  

However, that Dundee United one was staggering.  When he knocked it in, it was one of those token things that didn't matter until it emerged that the ref's incompetence and linesman's cowardice were going to combine to result in a goal.

The Maradona one was far more understandable.

8 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

You're right.

In common with most of us who watched it at the time, I didn't spot the Maradona handball at first either. The English TV commentator was the same.  

However, that Dundee United one was staggering.  When he knocked it in, it was one of those token things that didn't matter until it emerged that the ref's incompetence and linesman's cowardice were going to combine to result in a goal.

The Maradona one was far more understandable.

I wasn’t at the game, just watched online but I couldn’t remember any handball appeal.  So, I went and watched it back.  Maybe it was more obvious at the game, but you can’t really tell from the playback.  At least not in my phone. 

I don’t doubt he handled it btw.  Maybe not as blatant Casalinuovo’s one for United away to Thistle in 2010.

6 minutes ago, adamntg said:

I wasn’t at the game, just watched online but I couldn’t remember any handball appeal.  So, I went and watched it back.  Maybe it was more obvious at the game, but you can’t really tell from the playback.  At least not in my phone. 

I don’t doubt he handled it btw.  Maybe not as blatant Casalinuovo’s one for United away to Thistle in 2010.

It was very clear indeed from the main stand.  The linesman cannot possibly have failed to spot it.

I'm actually getting cross again.

On 10/09/2024 at 22:18, Butters Scotch said:

They couldn't even hit the target.  Ideal avatar for the level of pant pissing. 

1 hour ago, adamntg said:

Yeah the cameras were all wrong side to spot it at its most blatant, as was the referee possibly to be fair. I still think its fairly clear even on camera that he controls the through ball with his arm but @Monkey Tennis is right, from the other side it was absolutely blatant and the assistant on that side was either simply not looking or bottled out of making a decision to over-rule the ref. 

There certainly was handball appeals from a couple of our nearest players after the goal was given, Paul McKay I think being one. I think they too initially thought it so obvious they didnt need to appeal. It really was that blatant.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

2 hours ago, itzdrk said:

They couldn't even hit the target.  Ideal avatar for the level of pant pissing. 

So what If they hit the target or what? That's football, another day those chances go in more often than not. Deluded. 

22 hours ago, eez-eh said:

Some people are saying that we played quite well despite the defeat and your retort is “aye but we didn’t win”. Really?

No you are incorrect in your interpretation.

I was reminding that particular poster (who i aimed my reply at and quoted) we did not win the game.

Edited by Old Bing

On 10/09/2024 at 22:29, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

Honestly, some posters on here wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a football and a grapefruit.

We're emulating our heroes on the pitch. 

Decent, if mostly defensive display against a better team than us. Can't say I thought we deserved more than we got from the game. More 'could of' than 'should of' (Poland).

My main takeaway from Portugal is a reinforcement of the idea that Scotland simply aren't capable of competing consistently at pot-1 level. No shame in that. Not sure there's a formula to bridge that gap.

We can make it difficult, but it's like the Old Firm against the rest in Scotland: We need to play well, get the breaks and hope they're off their game to get a result. Our chance of getting a good result depends more on them than us.

For the qualifiers, I think the general defensive approach taken in this game will be taken and should be taken in games against similar opposition.