Treble Chasing Motherwell vs St Mirren - 28/09/24

8 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Quite enjoyable.

Had a great view of Miller's control for the second. Wasn't near his arm.

St Mirren players aren't very smart. Getting involved with Scottish Football's good guy Stephen O'Donnell was always going to be a second yellow.

I love the Ox. Couple of terrific saves today. Dealt with every ball st mirren lumped into the box. easy motm.

I watched it on TV mate, it hit him on the sleeve and again on his forearm. 

Difficult to know where to start with that one. Thought as a whole we were the better side but that's a bit too simplistic for this game.

Started nicely and thought St Mirren scored slightly out of nothing but was a lovely finish. Didn't really have a great view of our pen but looked soft, lovely pen again from Miller. Ref gave a couple of very soft fouls in our favour, one on Oxborough and another on Halliday on the East Stand side then St Mirren were clearly incensed by Miller's second. I didn't see a handball in real time but come half time, I really did expect the ref to come out and even out a few decisions.

Casey's handball was pretty much facing me in the PoD and looked extremely harsh in real time. Would like to see it again but in my mind, it wasn't far off what I was expecting, albeit a bigger punishment and earlier than I thought. Excellent pen save from Ox to go along with the brilliant save just before half time. Can't believe we persisted with Liam Kelly so long with this guy on the bench. Lots of possession from St Mirren against the 10 but thought we defended superbly and tbh, throughout the 90 mins, didn't feel especially threatened. Second yellow looked like a nothing challenge from my view but certainly took some pressure off us. From there, I thought we were the more threatening team and thought Stame was certain to score with the header at the end and seal the points.

Liked to see KVV get a decent reception, genuinely one of my favourite ever Motherwell players and I don't really buy into booing players returning regardless what they achieved. Glad he didn't score ofc!

Excellent 3 points, just about merited imo. Miller MOTM after another superb display. Ref was very poor but think St Mirren will also be disappointed with their showing aside from that.

I love a game with a bit of chaos - especially if we win it. I thought St Mirren actually started better than us - I think we need to come out the blocks a bit better. I had no idea what the penalty was given for, no one near me did but it felt like a get out of jail card at that stage and a chance to reset the game and start again. 

I didn't see anything wrong about the 2nd goal in real time - and St Mirren fans booing loudly has never been a guide to anything as they are the obviously the league champions at it - but I'll happily change my mind after seeing it again.

I thought from the point Casey went off, we defended brilliantly - last season's back line would have crumpled under the amount of shelling you get from Saints (I thought their delivery was really good all day). As others have said, Oxbourough is on a weekly basis making a mockery of the decision to persist with Kelly last year (I get the financial part of it but we're a football team).

Really liked the look of Stama today - reminds me of Moult a bit and looks very hopeful - he'll be gutted he didn't score with that header but what a save.

So far this season, we've beaten Killie, Hearts, Utd and now Saints at Fir Park - feels like more fun than we had in the entirety of last season.

We need to look at ourselves before criticising the referee. How many times are we going to surrender leads? Every week it would seem.

Tanser's second yellow was the only big decision I have a gripe with. Possible handball at the second goal but when you need 4 different angles to be sure, then I'm not going to get too angry about it.

Sportscene clears up all the dubious decisions.

An equally inept refereeing and backed up with a totally inept VAR performance as we witnessed in the game v Killie. Sadly not to our advantage this time.

I look forward to Gollum explaining this particular comedy of errors. I honestly didn't think VAR could get worse than last season.

Having said that, if you miss a penalty to get to 2-2 v ten men, then the other team deserve to win. So "Well" done.

Also, I know I had a good chortle at what we got away with v Killie and quite rightly 'Well fans should this evening.

However, if this is VAR at is "best" then we're fucked.

Edited by FTOF

I hadn’t realised that Tanser had stamped on SOD but still soft.

At Miller’s goal the ball seemed to ricochet between both players’ arms and torsos, you wouldn’t give a penalty so perhaps you can’t deny the goal.  We should have made it more comfortable but a win is a win.