Heart of Midlothian's Next Permanent Manager 24/25 Edition

Who will be Heart's next permanent manager?  

276 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

18 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

The Championship pays far better than everyone up here better than Celtic and Rangers.  Hearts,  Hibs and Aberdeen should be relatively attractive salary wise but there's other problems attracting people. 

Aberdeen have done well to get Thelin but unfortunately the market we're in is lower tier guys with the hope you pick up a gem.  Bloom's mob have been excellent at that, so the hope is they've managed it here. 

I don't think he's terrible, the worst he's likely to be of dully competent.   English Robbie vibes 

Probably why I said it showed the finances that Scottish clubs have tbf.

1 hour ago, Tony Wonder said:

It's nothing to do with being cheap

Of course, there are plenty of other reasons for hiring an unemployed guy with no real success as a Head Coach on his CV.

The fact he’ll have been very cheap is probably one of the few positives you can take from the appointment.

13 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Of course, there are plenty of other reasons for hiring an unemployed guy with no real success as a Head Coach on his CV.

The fact he’ll have been very cheap is probably one of the few positives you can take from the appointment.

In this case they obviously do think there are other reasons, he was in our top 2 from the start. If it was about money we'd have offered him it directly instead of offering Hogmo a very good deal first. I'd also wager he's on more money than Naimsmith was, so I don't think he'll be "very cheap".

We've targeted the two managers Jamestown/StarLizard have decided are best for the role. Whether that's wise, we'll find out. But Bloom isn't investing money into us to watch us penny pinch on the most important role at the club.

Trying to be objective (hard as that is given I absolutely despise Hearts), all new managers have to be given a chance.

Looking on from the outside, he sounds like he’d be a very good coach/no.2 to someone, but perhaps not a manager/head coach?

If it was Aberdeen appointing Critchley, I’d be very underwhelmed. 

That said, he’s an upgrade on Naismith, so there’s that. 
(insert smallest bar symbol)

13 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Trying to be objective (hard as that is given I absolutely despise Hearts), all new managers have to be given a chance.

Looking on from the outside, he sounds like he’d be a very good coach/no.2 to someone, but perhaps not a manager/head coach?

If it was Aberdeen appointing Critchley, I’d be very underwhelmed. 

That said, he’s an upgrade on Naismith, so there’s that. 
(insert smallest bar symbol)

Think that's fair.

Most Hearts fans are underwhelmed, but I think the most sensible at least understand we are trying a different model so will give him a chance.

Time will tell if he's an upgrade on Naismith, but he's definitely more experienced. 

7 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

Think that's fair.

Most Hearts fans are underwhelmed, but I think the most sensible at least understand we are trying a different model so will give him a chance.

Time will tell if he's an upgrade on Naismith, but he's definitely more experienced. 

You tried a different model under Cathro??? Still, you never know. But I am not looking forward to playing Hearts next season in the Championship.

1 hour ago, Cardle is Magic said:

He got a club small club like Blackpool promoted against bigger clubs like Sunderland who failed on many occasions to do so.

I think he needs a chance. Look at the uproar when Postecoglu got the Celtic job before a ball was even kicked under his coaching.

Edited by smellthepaw

3 minutes ago, Highlandmagar said:

You tried a different model under Cathro??? Still, you never know. But I am not looking forward to playing Hearts next season in the Championship.

With Cathro, we tried an untested guy with the same model. 

We are on the verge of an official investment with Tony Bloom to completely change how we approach recruitment and the manager has been assessed and appointed with that in mind. We've also got a new Sporting Director starting, also aligned with this.

This is a genuinely different setup for us. Whether it works or not we'll see long term, but if we are buying into it, which the majority do, you have to then trust what it provides and not panic as soon as you see something you're not sure about.

2 hours ago, kingjoey said:

I wonder if Mike Garrity is a relation to the long deceased Freddie of Freddie and the Dreamers? I guess we'll know if we see him jumping about in the dugout. For older viewers only.

I understand what you're saying

But I'm telling you now

If you want to make a fool of somebody then HMFC know how to go about it

14 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

Think that's fair.

I completely understand the usage of the analytical model. 
It’s proven

I do find it strange though, that after scouting the top 100 leagues, that Neil Critchley came out in the top 2, given his failures at his last two jobs. 

I fully expected a fairly unknown foreigner to get the job, similar to Brighton & other clubs in that umbrella? 

Just now, Thenorthernlight said:

It’s proven

I do find it strange though, that after scouting the top 100 leagues, that Neil Critchley came out in the top 2, given his failures at his last two jobs. 

I fully expected a fairly unknown foreigner to get the job, similar to Brighton & other clubs in that umbrella? 

Devil’s advocate, as I’m not sold at all, but the whole point of analytics is identifying things the naked eye and conventional wisdom would miss. 

I’m not privy to what Hearts’ criteria were, but as Tony points out above, if the club are going down this route then they need to commit to it. 

That process led to Critchley being one of their favoured candidates, so that’s the process. 

11 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

It’s proven

Brighton and USG go for a different kind of manager now, but when they started out the goal was to stabilise, give a platform and then build from there.  Brighton went for Poyet who'd never been a manager and I think USG went for a guy who'd just been sacked after 20 games from Pafos. I doubt either seemed particularly exciting.

Again, this might not work at all. I'm aware of that, but it matches what's happened elsewhere previously.

Edited by Tony Wonder

9 minutes ago, smellthepaw said:

He got a club small club like Blackpool promoted against bigger clubs like Sunderland who failed on many occasions to do so.

Meh, I take any achievements during COVID seasons with a hefty pinch of salt tbh. A more recent example is him failing to make the play-offs in L1 last season and only getting close due to a very late winning run.

Also, one of my best mates is a Sunderland ST holder and they have often been a complete garbage fire on and off the pitch.

2 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

Three year deal. Not sure what to make of that. 

They must be much more convinced than we are. 

Yeah, but you're not really going to get someone at that level (aye, OK I know ...) to sign for less. All managers know they'll eventually get sacked, so they are looking for some built in financial reassurance to tide them over when the inevitable happens.

1 hour ago, Tony Wonder said:

In this case they obviously do think there are other reasons, he was in our top 2 from the start.

Um, says who? Unless you were directly involved in the recruitment of the next Hearts manager then this statement has zero weight to it.

1 minute ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Also, one of my best mates is a Sunderland ST holder and they have often been a complete garbage fire on and off the pitch.

Whereas Blackpool and QPR have been so well run.

Just now, Cardle is Magic said:

Um, says who? Unless you were directly involved in the recruitment of the next Hearts manager then this statement has zero weight to it.

😂

Christ. Mate, I know you like to just criticise anything any club does, but at least have a handle on the issue before wasting everyone’s time. 

Just now, Cardle is Magic said:

It was reported widely when everyone thought it was going to be Hogmo that that was the final two.

If we can only speak about things we are directly involved in, none of this conversation has any weight to it.