Players/coaches with mental commutes

Few I can think of:

Current Fort William manager Kyle Redpath commutes from Fife

While at Queen of South in his final spell Stephen Dobbie was commuting from Lytham St. Annes in Lancashire

Brora Rangers had a player who'se name escapes me that continued to play for the club after moving to central belt

Eachainn Miller commuting from Carloway in the Western Isles to play for Clachnacuddin

20 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:

Few I can think of:

While at Queen of South in his final spell Stephen Dobbie was commuting from Lytham St. Annes in Lancashire

Brora Rangers had a player who'se name escapes me that continued to play for the club after moving to central belt

Eachainn Miller commuting from Carloway in the Western Isles to play for Clachnacuddin

All relative, really. In English football a commute like that wouldn't be considered too unusual.

Spartans had 2 players commute from London whilst in EOSL & LL.

Name escapes me but Berwick had a player on national service in 1960s who came back from West Germany each weekend. (He hitched a lift on a transport flight across on Friday evening and another back on Saturday night or Sunday).

So many players at County over the years have had families still based in the central belt, so will stay in digs in the area and head home for the weekend. If they don’t move the family north then it seems inevitable that they won’t stay beyond 2-3 years. Brian Graham is a good example, Simon Murray more recently.

It doesn’t often happen the other way, but there are some examples.

When Scott Boyd was on loan at Killie, his family was still based in Inverness and he put a lot of miles in.

Stuart Kettlewell was down the A9 all the time after being sacked by Ross County, doing coaching and PR stuff, until he moved down. Ironically, he was then commuting north when making his breakthrough on Sportsound when he was given a lot of the County and Caley games to cover.

Whenever Billy Dodds does BBC Scotland media work, that will be travelling from Inverness.

In the recent past, County have loaned players to Angus clubs, where they are training in Dingwall for some sessions, then at their loan clubs for the rest.

Edited by bunglebonce

31 minutes ago, starryfish said:

Elgin City signed two youngsters on loan from Kilmarnock recently, believe they are commuting 

Most likely games only. That was the case when we had tod on loan to them.

I know there are some wild examples being put in but generally football is filled with guys driving hours a day,  much easier when its your only in for a few hours.  Often there are special arrangements as well like reduced sessions or training with another club.

Edit  and also who travelling is an easier choice when your in an industry where you'll change employers every few months. Moving house all the time sounds a pain in the arse.

Edited by parsforlife

Mark McGhee still lived in Brighton when he managed us, during the week he frequently left Faddy to discover that coaching wasn't for him.

In his first spell with us I believe he stayed with Gordon Strachan while he was up here.

2 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

Few I can think of:

I think Gavin Morrison, ex-Caley youngster stayed in Dunfermline (or in that area) whilst playing for Brora. That might be who you’re thinking of? 

I remember reading that Jackie McNamara drove to Aberdeen from the central belt each day for training when playing for them.  He was a bit older at that point so maybe wasn’t in everyday tbf 

Winston Bogarde famously “commuted” from Amsterdam to London every day when he was (not) playing for Chelsea. 

I heard a few stories about guys I knew from the juniors travelling from Dundee to play/train for highland league clubs that involved them getting the train from Dundee to Aberdeen then getting picked up at the station and driven for an hour plus to wherever they actually trained They were being paid about £150 p/w but got their train fare 3 times a week on expenses, which must have cost a few bob. 

Edited by Junior_Arab

Julie Fleeting was working as a PE teacher (or similar) in a school in Kilwinning while she was playing for Arsenal. She would train with Kilwinning Rangers U21s and just fly down for the games.