Thistle vs Livingston - 5th October 2024

Result  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Result

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/10/24 at 14:00

According to JZ commentators it's 4-4-1-1 with Turner wide right which is certainly a ringing endorsement of Chalmers and Smith. Suppose with two big strikers we'll be looking to put crosses in but from the cup game last year Livi were the land of the giants

7 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

According to JZ commentators it's 4-4-1-1 with Turner wide right which is certainly a ringing endorsement of Chalmers and Smith. Suppose with two big strikers we'll be looking to put crosses in but from the cup game last year Livi were the land of the giants

IMO, Smith is the new Mitch Austin where fans will clamour for him for months, then he’ll finally play and be beyond abysmal.

I wouldn't go as far as saying it was good but it's definitely better than we've been of late. Still not creating much from open play, think the blocked chance from Crawford after Diack cutback from the  goalline is about the only chance I can think of from open play, but playing with a bit more energy.

Diack has been putting himself about but given away a few stupid fouls. Can only assume from what their fans have said Livi will improve second half, they've been comfortable defensively but offered next to nothing going forward, only chance was when Megwa scuffed a clearance straight to Kelly.

Better performance and draw was a fair result but almost a catastrophic arse collapse in injury time, clearance of the season from Ashcroft and McGowan should have scored with the last attacking touch of the game.

The double sub of Stanway and Bannigan killed it for us, was very much settling for a point by then which I would say was questionable, Stanway out wide was a disaster, and unless it was a fitness issue Graham should have been off instead of Diack.

That lad Montano who came on for Livi was head and shoulders above everyone else on the park, has he not been fit?

Edited by Fuctifano

8 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

That lad Montano who came on for Livi was head and shoulders above everyone else on the park, has he not been fit?

He seems to keep picking up wee niggles so we've been trying to wrap him in cotton wool a bit. Funny you say that though as he came off the bench a few weeks ago and the general consensus from the opposition fans was that he looked like a competition winner

zzzzzZZZzzzzzzz

God we're so f**king ineffective/boring to watch 😮‍💨

Milne should be in the top flight tbh, think this is his last season of slumming it in mediocrity with us. Fitzpatrick is frustrating and got clattered 3 or 4 times, Graham given scraps to work with again but still, having a poacher that just isnt scoring is troubling with each passing game he isnt netting in. Megwa poorer defensively imo but far from the worst issue we have.

No.8 for Livi was good. Niggly but had a bit of drive about him.

For all Doolan talks about us having players that can create moments of magic we need to play more coherently as a team, otherwise its just increasingly a case of "give the ball to Fitzpatrick and hope he beats 3 or 4 players"

Could do with a midfielder that can get on the ball and dictate through the middle.

I liked Crawford tbf, was good in the 1st half.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

Felt like the 0-0 we had with Dundee United we had last season just after McBeth signed.

At least then we had a major issue keeping the ball put of the net.

That was another turgid watch. Neither keeper had much to do.

The crowds will drop with that level of 'entertainment' on view.

Montano and Shinnie should be starters on our left side. They compliment each other excellently and we saw them combining well today. While Sole's super-sub role has been very effective, almost spectacularly so today, it might be better to give him the start on the right.

We get a lot from May in home matches when we have more possession. He can take part in build up then with his clever passes and touches. It's harder for him to make the same impact in away matches. We're missing the option of Yengi's pace and power but May is doing well.

Brandon, McGowan, Nottingham and Prior were flawless again today. Brandon had an especially good game. Pittman was excellent defensively with his high pressing first half. The tactic this season has been to move him up right behind the centre forward second half and we saw that again today. No real chances fell to him but he was lively. He's often the more likely player to get onto our crosses as the centre forward provides a decoy. Kelly and Finlayson both played well. Useful sub appearances from McAlear and Winter.

Better first half for us with Fitzy top boy but really didn't look like scoring .Faded a bit in second half as Livi made some telling substitutions and were unlucky not to grab the points right at the death ,so happy enough with the point against the only team who remain unbeaten in this league .

Good noisy crowd but down a bit in comparison to equivalent QP game which must be a worry for the suits .Really need 6 points from next two games to get the fans juices flowing again .

Martindale is an entertaining watch,the only Manager I've  seen who can gesticulate three different ways simultaneously .

We didn’t really look like conceding, but we didn’t look like scoring either. We are so boring to watch. Ashcroft saved us something from the game with a fantastic goal line clearance.

Livi are a well organised outfit defensively, maybe with the concession of some attacking threat. 

0-0 was the result that game deserved.

Thought Graham might regress a bit but this is alarming. I really think the perception of him being un-droppable has killed us this season. We should have signed Oakley but seemingly he wasn’t wanting to be second choice. Going into the season with a near 37 year old as a guaranteed starter is proving costly. Sadly we now have no proper competition up top. 

1 hour ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Don’t know if I just have a very low bar, but I quite enjoyed that game. Some chances (not many clear cut) at either end and draw a fair result. Graham definitely should’ve scored one of his chances though, so that’s frustrating. 

Fair enough on that but I was pretty bored. I've witnessed duller games but there was no goalmouth action of any consequence. 

Dools used to say how it was all about goals. We have struggled heavily on that front and we're lucky if we've had 5 shots on target in the last four games.

I'm not calling for the manager's head yet but I would not be upset in a football sense if he moves on any time soon.

We've scored 6 goals in 8 league games. 4 of those were based off set pieces and one was a goalkeeper mistake. 

In isolation today's result and performance wasn't terrible but the second half regression to a complete lack of threat won't change anyone's mind on the manager.