Saints v Staggies 19th Oct

14 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Sven did well as the sitting player but he had acres of space, and I think technically he’s not great under pressure so might struggle against a better team.

It’s not his game, so not trying to shoot him down too much, but I imagine his passing the ball straight back to where it’s come from will wear thin pretty quickly. 

I think folk are being a bit unfair on Sven when singling out the other two midfielders.

I thought Sven had a great game. Let virtually nothing get past him and was composed on the ball. Delighted with the midfield trio today and loved our seemingly new approach. Aided by a very poor Country performance obviously but definitely reasons to be cheerful today!!

Only concern probably for playing better teams is a lack of width higher up the park but I’m guessing he’ll want Adama and Benji to be pulling out wide to give options. I think this is the reason we had a lot of back and forth at the back due to lack of options up the sides.

Other than usual moany folk, I’d rather we are patient and keep the ball to find an opening rather than hoof it which is what we’ve been doing the last few years though. Some folk are never happy eh?

Sprangler doesn't look agile at all so seeing him trying to turn on the ball is a bit painful, but you saw why we needed someone like him in there. Essel probably more what you'd want in there but he's not at that level yet.

Not joining in with the Sanders love at all tbh. He does okay but there was at least 3 times he just aimlessly passed the ball to nobody in midfield and County were suddenly in possession within 30 yards of goal and all our midfielders the wrong side. I think it's more likely he's dropped, Neilson moves to RCB, and Mikulic goes to LCB, tbh.

Neilson reminds me a bit of Shaughnessy earlier in his career, not quite athletic enough as a full back, also not commanding enough as a CB at times, will grow as he gets experience and gets better with positioning and using his body but as he's only on loan we probably won't see that benefit 

40 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Not sure I can remember as bad an away performance as that at McDiarmid Park in recent years.

Was going to say the same thing. Saints were decent, but not amazing, but didn't have to be good as County were surprisingly bad. Seemed zero fight and with 10 mins left to go and 2-0 down, Laidlaw in no hurry whatsoever to get things going from goal kicks.

For Saints, the centre backs still give me the fear. Bozo has to be an improvement. Game was won, but Neilsons slowness was missing me off.

Suspect we will score a lot this year, but will absolutely concede loads too. 

44 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

Was going to say the same thing. Saints were decent, but not amazing, but didn't have to be good as County were surprisingly bad. Seemed zero fight and with 10 mins left to go and 2-0 down, Laidlaw in no hurry whatsoever to get things going from goal kicks.

They were slow with everything even at 1-0 down with 11 men.

Ronan Hale absolutely lost his shit at Campbell/Leak when they spent about 3 minutes on a throw in because they were just walking abour/arguing with the linesman.

Bizarre stuff.

A throwback to the Tommy Wright days when bottom six diddies like Accies, Inverness or Kilmarnock would come to McDiarmid, cause us no problems at all and end up with two or three.

We've been so starved of anything positive over the past three years that we are understandably greedy and there is a frustration at how comfortable the team can appear coasting along in first gear, especially when they do impress if they shift it up a couple.

But it's a good first step for Valakari. Smith and Holt have the attributes to play in his midfield, especially if you can get the right player sitting deep. I remain to be convinced that is Sprangler but you are looking to the new manager to improve some of these guys, like a decent coach should.

It was nice to see us play without an unneeded extra defender at home and with attacking full backs. It brought its reward and whilst it should always be horses for courses, it's a good template for these type of games.

Clark had the most involvement he's had when in the deeper role but also managed to pop up in the box on several occasions. Kimpioka now on 9 goals for the season and doesn't show any signs of letting up. Abhorrent defending by Efete for both his strikes though. Sidibeh can offer more but looks like a player that needs kid-gloves treatment. That'll be another test for Valakari as we have an asset there that is under contract for another couple of years.

Why Graham Carey hasn't spent the last two years playing in the sort of areas that yielded the third goal is another stain on previous managers and something a good coach will avoid. Players playing in the areas where they can have the most positive impact on matches. It needn't be so complicated.

What an opportunity next week for Valakari to overload on credit in the bank.

I didn't go but going by the highlights and comments that was a woeful performance. I suppose that's where we're at, comfortably beat Dundee, push Hearts and Celtic close and then throw in a heads-gone in Perth.

Was happy to see Allardice got a start, how was he?

How Brophy would get a start head of White/Samuel and Telfer would be brought on ahead of Chilvers/Grieves I have no idea.

Just now, StuartTaylor said:

I didn't go but going by the highlights and comments that was a woeful performance. I suppose that's where we're at, comfortably beat Dundee, push Hearts and Celtic close and then throw in a heads-gone in Perth.

Was happy to see Allardice got a start, how was he?

How Brophy would get a start head of White/Samuel and Telfer would be brought on ahead of Chilvers/Grieves I have no idea.

Was a bit baffled why White didn't start when our defence is notoriously shit with crosses/set plays, tbh. Brophy doesn't seem to do anything Hale doesn't so wither so both seems pointless?

Rest of your team is hard to judge because Leak and Campbell totally sold the game in the first 30 minutes.

20 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Was a bit baffled why White didn't start when our defence is notoriously shit with crosses/set plays, tbh. Brophy doesn't seem to do anything Hale doesn't so wither so both seems pointless?

Rest of your team is hard to judge because Leak and Campbell totally sold the game in the first 30 minutes.

As much as Facebook fans don’t like it either, Jordan White is one of our most influential and effective players. There is nobody else like him in the league - in that if you launch a ball in the air 9/10 he will win it and often lay it into an effective area too. If Saints are as bad in the air as you insist, then it’s even more baffling he didn’t start - especially when Brophy gives you nothing. 

14 minutes ago, Weird Fishes said:

As much as Facebook fans don’t like it either, Jordan White is one of our most influential and effective players. There is nobody else like him in the league - in that if you launch a ball in the air 9/10 he will win it and often lay it into an effective area too. If Saints are as bad in the air as you insist, then it’s even more baffling he didn’t start - especially when Brophy gives you nothing. 

We've accumulated some ridiculously embarrassing stats on goals conceded from crosses and set plays. I'd imagine our coaching team were very pleased that White didn't start. I know I was.