Warriors V Wasps

I think this is only the second time a Stenhousemuir game has been moved for television (the first was a Challenge Cup tie against Rangers in October 2013!) and while there's a novelty to watching my team kick off at 5:30pm, it's not something I'm keen to repeat frequently. Saturday at 3pm is for football!

I'm moderately confident coming into this match. Despite losing at the Recs when the sides last met in August, there was little between the teams and I think Stenny merited a point that day. We've recorded three consecutive positive results, the last of which was a fine victory over Dumbarton at the Rock, and the players should be be well rested and ready to go after an unexpected free weekend. The only thing I'm worried about is our injury list - we're missing three of our four centre-backs and Kyle Jacobs and Ross Taylor are likely to miss out - so we're a light on numbers and lack the ability to really change the game. I am, however, confident that out available players can win the match.

I think we'll go with a similar XI to the team we saw at Dumbarton:

- Matty Aitken -

- Matty Yates - Blair Altson - Euan O'Reilly -

- Mikey Anderson - Nat Wedderburn -

- Kelsey Ewen - Kinlay Bilham - Gregor Buchanan - Ross Meechan -

- Darren Jamieson -

A concern might be if Kinlay Bilham is expected to mark Conor Sammon, say, but I'd expect Gregor Buchanan to take charge of the big striker and stop him from bullying his way up the pitch and popping off balls to his team-mates. Alloa Athletic are a decent side with good, strong players but I didn't really see anything outstanding from them last time out and think we can match them, if we play well.

Both teams will be looking to win here and I'm cautiously optimistic we can get the three points. I'll see you there!

Going to channel my inner Duncan Ferguson and complain about Stenny's pitch being somehow sharp. I always end up grazing my knees at Stenny whereas I don't seem to do it as much at Alloa.

This would be my bet to start but I wouldn't be averse to seeing a Tyrece McDonnell from the start or even the possibility of Sammon starting up front with Rankin. Another quiet, methodical win and three points would be much appreciated. Last game seemed like a pivotal crossroads in the season and after a few murky draws and defeat to Cove last time out it somehow is knocking the needle to must win again. 

image.png.781f14f50ceb18cae3190e61a8c531c3.png

55 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I think this is only the second time a Stenhousemuir game has been moved for television (the first was a Challenge Cup tie against Rangers in October 2013!) and while there's a novelty to watching my team kick off at 5:30pm, it's not something I'm keen to repeat frequently. Saturday at 3pm is for football!

I'm moderately confident coming into this match. Despite losing at the Recs when the sides last met in August, there was little between the teams and I think Stenny merited a point that day. We've recorded three consecutive positive results, the last of which was a fine victory over Dumbarton at the Rock, and the players should be be well rested and ready to go after an unexpected free weekend. The only thing I'm worried about is our injury list - we're missing three of our four centre-backs and Kyle Jacobs and Ross Taylor are likely to miss out - so we're a light on numbers and lack the ability to really change the game. I am, however, confident that out available players can win the match.

I think we'll go with a similar XI to the team we saw at Dumbarton:

- Matty Aitken -

- Matty Yates - Blair Altson - Euan O'Reilly -

- Mikey Anderson - Nat Wedderburn -

- Kelsey Ewen - Kinlay Bilham - Gregor Buchanan - Ross Meechan -

- Darren Jamieson -

A concern might be if Kinlay Bilham is expected to mark Conor Sammon, say, but I'd expect Gregor Buchanan to take charge of the big striker and stop him from bullying his way up the pitch and popping off balls to his team-mates. Alloa Athletic are a decent side with good, strong players but I didn't really see anything outstanding from them last time out and think we can match them, if we play well.

Both teams will be looking to win here and I'm cautiously optimistic we can get the three points. I'll see you there!

100% agree.

9 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

Going to channel my inner Duncan Ferguson and complain about Stenny's pitch being somehow sharp. I always end up grazing my knees at Stenny whereas I don't seem to do it as much at Alloa.

This would be my bet to start but I wouldn't be averse to seeing a Tyrece McDonnell from the start or even the possibility of Sammon starting up front with Rankin. Another quiet, methodical win and three points would be much appreciated. Last game seemed like a pivotal crossroads in the season and after a few murky draws and defeat to Cove last time out it somehow is knocking the needle to must win again. 

image.png.781f14f50ceb18cae3190e61a8c531c3.png

I'd be happy with that line up. Miko helped when he came on last week and I think Scougs linking with Kev, Buchanan and Rankin would give us better movement in attack.

No idea who is fit to return but given the signing of Euan Cameron it would suggest that it isn’t many. I had hoped Steele and/or Banner would be fit but we will just have to wait and see. Corey O’Donnell should be back, but other than that I expect we will still be down on numbers. But we’ve managed to get ourselves in a good position given all these setbacks so who knows what will happen tomorrow.

1 hour ago, printer said:

I'd be happy with that line up. Miko helped when he came on last week and I think Scougs linking with Kev, Buchanan and Rankin would give us better movement in attack.

I'd be happy with this too. Perhaps harsh on LD after he scored the winner against Arbroath but he continues to be something of an enigma in regards to where he is best employed in the team. Scougall is a more effective option in knitting everything together in the number 10 role and I'd be hopeful that would indeed see us get more out of the wide players and Rankin. Regarding those wide players, I suspect he won't start here but I'd be hoping in the weeks ahead to see much more of McDonnell who made such a promising impact against Montrose. Be good to get a first glimpse of Honeyman too. Really need these lads to have an impact.

Miko is worth a few games deeper with Stevie and the last game they played together there suggested it was starting to work better than it had initially. And there is case for sticking with Taggs at CB where he is always steady and with young Thomson doing well at RB. Again, that's also potentially harsh on Neill who alongwith Mackay was doing well until the Montrose game. 

We've been pretty underwhelming so far really but have done enough to stay in contention, helped also by the overall standard of the league being so poor. Suspect this could well be another slog of a game - but live in hope of a live TV thriller that sparks us into life. 

A poor advert for the league but probably a pretty accurate one. A bit like us somehow being top after 10 games despite not putting in a properly decent performance so far. 

Anyway, we defended well and kept battling away as a team when things weren't working going forward and eventually had a wee bit of quality to win it. Great credit to Luke Rankin for coming up with that after an evening when we struggled to get him into the game. I'd have liked to see changes earlier when it clearly wasn't working but Andy can rightfully say he called it right in the end. The spirit is again impressive - the fact we're top at all is down to the team keeping going and grinding these kind of wins out when they aren't playing all that well. But it clearly needs to be much better if we're going to stay in contention. 

Think Stenny can count themselves very unfortunate not to get a point at least. Had less of the ball but did more with it and had a few close things. Well organised too throughout the side and given how shite the league is have every chance of being involved in the promotion race. 

Disappointed we’ve not taken at least a point tonight given how we played and the number of chances we had - we forced 2 good saves from Morrison in the first half, then hit the bar twice, the post right and squandered a 4 on 1 in the second half. I also don’t recall DJ having a real save to make.

I think our game dropped quite a bit when O’Reilly went off for O’Donnell. I like the big man but he looks like he could go a couple bounce games to get up to match speed.

Not seen the goal back yet but it looked so preventable - either from DJ doing better or O’Donnell releasing the ball on the edge of the Alloa box.

I really like how well Alloa managed to get out of our high press, particularly in the first half when Scougall or Cawley were dropping in. Certainly the best at it I’ve seen this season.

Thought Waters done well today, made a couple of good blocks and probably best I've seen him defend.

We should have changed our play style earlier, we didn't have anyone with the aerial presence to merit continually pumping long balls up, Miko won a few headers but not much came from them. 

Good to see Rankin get a goal. Difference between the two teams was someone up front taking their chances. It's happened a lot this season, but we've got PJ (and poor finishing from Stenny) to thank for these points again

Bit of a robbery getting 3 points out of that tonight seeing as we were worse than shite. 

Top spot was the reward for whoever came out on top and Alloa came flying out the gate straight away. After Stenny weathered that 5 minute storm it was tough sledding for the Wasps for pretty much the rest of the night. 

Miko played much higher than we usually see him and looked like we targeted getting him to push on to Bilham to try and take advantage of the height difference, but felt the Warriors defender dealt with that pretty much all evening, resulting in us ultimately playing meaningless long ball after meaningless long ball. 

Not for the first time this season we really struggled to create much at all. Stenny able to create more and better clear cut chances but ultimately were pretty wasteful in the final third. PJ once again coming to the rescue a couple of times though. 

Tough night for Rankin up against Buchanan but credit to him for keeping at it and getting his reward. His first touch to get the ball under control was class. 

Similar to the game at the Recs in that there was very little between the two sides, but could say that about pretty much everyone in the division this year. 

3 minutes ago, Kevchenko said:

Miko played much higher than we usually see him and looked like we targeted getting him to push on to Bilham to try and take advantage of the height difference, but felt the Warriors defender dealt with that pretty much all evening, resulting in us ultimately playing meaningless long ball after meaningless long ball.

Since joining us last season, every single team has targeted Kinlay aerially with long diagonal balls that the wee man mops up time and time again.

He’s is a class act and is solid plugging a gap for us in the centre rather than playing in his usual left back position.