World Cup Qualifying

Zazu

Is there any chance of us getting pot 2 now? Or are we basically guaranteed pot 3? 

In the very unlikely event we won our last 2 games and other results went our way we could get 2nd in the nations league group and therefore be first seeds. 

If we assume this won't happen, is there any chance at all of us getting pot 2?

The most recent fifa world rankings are here: FIFA football ranking - LIVE - Daily updating - UEFA zone (football-ranking.com)

As far as I understand it we need to get to 24th highest in UEFA to be second seeds, this would mean catching 2 out of Norway, Czechia, Romania or Greece. 

Even if we were to get a win and a draw v Poland and Croatia, the fact that all of these sides we need to catch are in B and C groups means they'll likely also pick up wins and draws, and the additional points we get from facing higher ranked sides probably won't make up the difference? 

Is there anything I've missed or are we almost definitely now third seeds for the world cup? 

There's no way I'm flailing around for the answer to this, considering one of our experts will be along presently with the actual answer, but there was a lot of discussion a few months back that we'd be Pot 2 if we finished first or second in the Nations League group. It's still possible for us to finish second if we beat Poland and Croatia; despite our winless run, that's by no means impossible.

6 minutes ago, BFTD said:

There's no way I'm flailing around for the answer to this, considering one of our experts will be along presently with the actual answer, but there was a lot of discussion a few months back that we'd be Pot 2 if we finished first or second in the Nations League group. It's still possible for us to finish second if we beat Poland and Croatia; despite our winless run, that's by no means impossible.

If we finish 1st or 2nd (I know we can't finish 1st now) then we'd be pot 1.  Pot 1 is the 8 Nations League quarter finalists plus 4 best ranked teams who are not quarter finalists.

Granted we didn't know that a few months back when people were speculating as UEFA hadn't made up their minds how it was going to work.

Edited by Pie Of The Month

I think we’re actually 25th when you remove Russia, so we only need to jump ahead of one of those teams. But they all have much easier games coming up than us.

Edited by eez-eh

1 hour ago, Zazu said:

As far as I understand it we need to get to 24th highest in UEFA to be second seeds, this would mean catching 2 out of Norway, Czechia, Romania or Greece. 

Just need to catch one of those teams as one of the 25 above us are Russia.

1 minute ago, Pie Of The Month said:

If we finish 1st or 2nd then we'd be pot 1.  Pot 1 is the 8 Nations League quarter finalists plus 4 best ranked teams who are not quarter finalists.

Granted we didn't know that a few months back when people were speculating as UEFA hadn't made up their minds how it was going to work.

Oh God, it's all coming back to me now!

2 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

I think we’re actually 25th when you remove Russia, so we only need to jump ahead of one of those teams. But they all have much easier games coming up than us.

But with harder games we have more points on offer.