Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

TBF if Rhys was a 'Gers fan I'd expect a minutes silence at Ibrox. Or at the Scotland game if he was Scottish.

He isn't so we shouldn't have it.

Do I sound disrespectful saying that ? :unsure:

Absolutely not.

If he was a Rangers fan, Rangers should not have a minutes silence. I bet a Rangers fan dies every day and nothing gets done.(same applies to Everton) It's all a complete sham.

There's apparently millions of them, but they can't fill a 50,000 seater stadium for some games. It's all a bit bizarre.

Indeed.

I mean, you don't sign on at weekends or in the evenings, and I'm sure they could shop for shellsuits at other times.

Still, Simply the Best, eh.

A minutes silence for anything is a bad idea.

They should always make it a round of applause. That way you have a choice to participate or not without seeming like a rude b@stard.

I disagree with that. I think there are times when a silence is more appropriate than applause.

I disagree with that. I think there are times when a silence is more appropriate than applause.

I agree with you but not at public events.

If you organise a minutes silence are people meant to leave the place if they don't want to join in?

Or are they allowed to shout out.

Minutes silence coerce people into paying respect to someone they might not want to.

Edited by Ziggy

A minutes silence for anything is a bad idea.

They should always make it a round of applause. That way you have a choice to participate or not without seeming like a rude b@stard.

There was a minutes silence at EEP on Sunday and some guy near us started clapping for about a second then, realised he was the only one and promptly stopped. It's hard not to laugh at things like that even if there's a minute's silence going on.

I think if you don't agree with the minute's silence, you should shut up anyway and respect the right of other people to have the silence.

But then everyone would assume that you are also paying respect to the dead person.

How would you know if anyone had any repect for them at all or whether everyone was just being polite.

If its a minutes applause then you can really tell how much people respected them by the volume of noise.

Its a much more efficient system just not what we are used to.

How difficult is it to stay quiet for a minute? :rolleyes: Woul you think it appropriate to applaud for a minute for, say, the Dunblane victims? I certainly wouldn't have.

It's not difficult at all.

But really whats the difference whether people applaud or stay silent. Its only a way of showing respect. The act itself is not important.

'It's infringing on my right to make noise!' These are people that should be made to shut the f**k up permanently.

Does it really matter if people think you're observing silence out of respect for the dead? What harm, exactly, does that do you?

What makes you being gunned down in a school more worthyy of 'having respect shown for you' than being killed in any other way.

I'm a firm believer that if you want to pay respect, then you should do it in your own time, in the way you feel appropriate.

And that's fine, Fudge, but if people want to show respect by way of a minute's silence, what gives you the right to break the silence?

And as for your first question, I just don't find the idea of applauding for a group of very young children who were gunned down appropriate. Silence in that case is. To me, of course.