Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

Totally irrelevant point. We're talking about prepositions here. It is wrong to say roll on sausage as that is entirely the wrong preposition to use, since the roll is not on the sausage.

Sorry I'm confused here. Is a preposition a sort of sausage or a type of roll. Or is it like tomato sause or mustard (no wait that's a condiment).

Apologies if this has already been mentioned but the reason that idiots call it a 'roll on sausage' is because they are mispronouncing it. It's simply 'roll 'n' sausage'.

Apologies if this has already been mentioned but the reason that idiots call it a 'roll on sausage' is because they are mispronouncing it. It's simply 'roll 'n' sausage'.

We've established that already, but it's good to have another man on our side.

I didn't really mean for this to happen, so apologies everyone!

:lol: that's one of the best points I've ever seen made on this forum. From now on, I'm going to call all completed "buildings" "builts".

It's a rubbish point, though. The etymology of the word is Middle English, in which -yn, -in, , -en, -ing endings were fairly common for nouns (having developed from the -an endings of Old English and also from Old Norse.) Think of words like underlings, fledglings...

It's a rubbish point, though. The etymology of the word is Middle English, in which -yn, -in, , -en, -ing endings were fairly common for nouns (having developed from the -an endings of Old English and also from Old Norse.) Think of words like underlings, fledglings...

Oh don't be such a bloody killjoy.

Maybe I've lost my sense of fun, but the discussions on roll and sausage, and cheese on toast, are seriously boring.

Spot on - Especially when the reason for my post wasn't to do with the sausage or the roll but the stupid bitch ordering the onions to go with them at the last minute ! :rolleyes:

Google "roll and sausage" versus "roll on sausage" with the quotes. Case closed, it's "roll and sausage".

That's not only fucking pathetic it's also fucking pathetic! How do we decide what's right, I know let's Google it. What's the correct religion - Christianity, Islam or Judaism? Well according to Google it's ...............

Children of the cyber age are fucking idiots. I was eating roll on sausage before Google was invented. :angry:

That's not only fucking pathetic it's also fucking pathetic! How do we decide what's right, I know let's Google it. What's the correct religion - Christianity, Islam or Judaism? Well according to Google it's ...............

Children of the cyber age are fucking idiots. I was eating roll on sausage before Google was invented. :angry:

If you were eating rolls on top of sausages then you've obviously never learned to eat properly.

I think I may have a sandwich, but just for a laugh, I might stuck the contents on top of it.

If you were eating rolls on top of sausages then you've obviously never learned to eat properly.

I think I may have a sandwich, but just for a laugh, I might stuck the contents on top of it.

Try to keep up. Roll on sausage is a roll with sausages in it. It's something that people say as a matter of course - roll on sausage, Clyde are shite - part of the daily lexicon.

Try to keep up. Roll on sausage is a roll with sausages in it. It's something that people say as a matter of course - roll on sausage, Clyde are shite - part of the daily lexicon.

But they shouldn't say it, because it's bloody daft.

"Can I get a roll on sausage mate?"

"Aye, no problem. Anything else?"

"Eh.... Gimme a packet of salt on vinegar then.."