Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

'It's infringing on my right to make noise!' These are people that should be made to shut the f**k up permanently.

Does it really matter if people think you're observing silence out of respect for the dead? What harm, exactly, does that do you?

:lol:

It all depends on who the dead person is?

What if it was Thatcher or Tony Blair etc. (I've just picked these as an example)

Now with a minutes silence I'd never be so rude that I'd start shouting out anything and therefore people would assume I was payin respect.

Whereas with a minutes applause I'd have a way of not paying respect without being rude.

And that's fine, Fudge, but if people want to show respect by way of a minute's silence, what gives you the right to break the silence?

And as for your first question, I just don't find the idea of applauding for a group of very young children who were gunned down appropriate. Silence in that case is. To me, of course.

THEY can have their silence if they want. I remember by the popes third silence, I started whispering "the pope is dead" over and over to my mate next to me until he burst out laughing. So long as they have their silence, why should I have to have mine?

You could be applauding the aim of the gunman?

:lol:

It all depends on who the dead person is?

What if it was Thatcher or Tony Blair etc. (I've just picked these as an example)

Now with a minutes silence I'd never be so rude that I'd start shouting out anything and therefore people would assume I was payin respect.

Whereas with a minutes applause I'd have a way of not paying respect without being rude.

I see your point, but a minute of applause is only going to be appropriate in certain circumstances, such as someone who died in service or for a good cause.

If you don't agree with it, here's some simple solutions:

Set your alarm clock a minute earlier. You have just added a minute to your day, make as much noise as you like with it.

Turn up at the game a minute later, or even, after the silence is over.

Eat cheese before you go to bed. This should give you nightmares. You will be able to scream in your sleep, thus saving valuable time during the day in which to practice silence.

And that's fine, Fudge, but if people want to show respect by way of a minute's silence, what gives you the right to break the silence?

And as for your first question, I just don't find the idea of applauding for a group of very young children who were gunned down appropriate. Silence in that case is. To me, of course.

I would certainly say that in the current circumstances where a minutes appluase or silence is used to 'show respect', in an atrocity, a minutes silence would be better, where as comemorating an ex player/manager/director at your football club, a minutes applause is more appropriate.

I certianly wouldn't break a minutes silence but I was frankly disgusted and annoyed Stenhousemuir FC held a minutes silence for the death of the Queen Mother and especially the death of Holly and Jessica.

My general grip is the foisting of grief onto others who have absolutely no interest or connection with the person involved. Grief should be displayed in your own way. If you wish to have a personal minutes silence or reflection time, then that is fine, but I don't like the idea of guilt or shame being associated with those who don't wish to uphold it. By that I don't mean booing or anything, bjust things like continuing shopping when there is some sort of mass minutes silence.

I see your point, but a minute of applause is only going to be appropriate in certain circumstances, such as someone who died in service or for a good cause.

If you don't agree with it, here's some simple solutions:

Set your alarm clock a minute earlier. You have just added a minute to your day, make as much noise as you like with it.

Turn up at the game a minute later, or even, after the silence is over.

Eat cheese before you go to bed. This should give you nightmares. You will be able to scream in your sleep, thus saving valuable time during the day in which to practice silence.

Who decides who is worthy of a minutes silence though? Thats the problem.

Still think a minutes applause is a better system and there would be a lot less chance of some idiot embarrassing himself.

It's ONE minute for f**k sakes. I can't believe you would go out of your way to make a noise during a minute's silence, whether you agree with it or not.

i'd never make a noise during a minutes silence no matter what it was for. It's just the general principle I disagree with, and would prefer if they weren't held.

Who decides who is worthy of a minutes silence though? Thats the problem.

Still think a minutes applause is a better system and there would be a lot less chance of some idiot embarrassing himself.

If you don't like it, excuse yourself. It's not difficult.

It's a fair guess that, nowadays, there'll be a minutes silence for most 'big news' deaths. Just turn up to the game after the silence would have been held. Ta-da!

i'd never make a noise during a minutes silence no matter what it was for. It's just the general principle I disagree with, and would prefer if they weren't held.

And I'm fine with that. :):lol: I don't care if you agree with them or not, but at least respect the right of other people to have them. Speaking out during a minute's silence is, in my opinion, as bad as going into a Catholic church and shouting FTP. It's about respect.

Generally though, when I break a minutes silence (rarely), its because of the fuds who enforced it.

An example, at my work last year, one of the girls toaked about a minutes silence for the 7/7 victims (I think). She said she was going to have one but that we didnt have to.

So, minutes silence comes round, and I know what she is like, and so I giggle and sing to myself through it. Sure enough, she was absolutely raging that I would dare to speak, conveniently forgetting what she said about it being optional. Luckily, that stopped her ever speaking to me again.

It may only be a minute, but people die every minute of day, why do some people get higher priority than others?

If you want a silence, grand. Observe it personally. Just dont enforce it on the rest of us.

And I'm fine with that. :):lol: I don't care if you agree with them or not, but at least respect the right of other people to have them. Speaking out during a minute's silence is, in my opinion, as bad as going into a Catholic church and shouting FTP. It's about respect.

It is about respect, but to who exactly? That's the thing I can't really get my head around.

I greatly respect people who fought in the first and second world wars, so would certainly stop what I was doing and pay genuine respect to thank them for what they did to the country. Each year our school has a one (possibly two) minutes silence at 11am on 11th November and one year when I was in French, and someone behind me started talking. After it had finished I went mental at them as I think that is just about the most disrespectful thing can do. They gave their lives for the benefit of our country and I am very proud to remember and appreciate that. Their actions played a huge role in my existance, and the way our country is governed and has developed.

Two murdered children. No one would disagree that this is a dreadful scenario, however their death directly affects a tiny, tiny minority of the country. I feel it's insulting the family to be asked to pay respect to someone I don't know, with whom I have no connection with as I cannot possibly share the same levels of understanding and appreciation as they can.

I'm going off on a tangent now but just feel like saying it. I once studied a poem called 'Ambulances', by Phillip Larkin, which described the scene of a an ambulance pulling up to a house, and removing the body of someone who had died.

The obvious theme of the poem was death and grief. However, it hit the nail on the head when it suggested that the grief you feel when you hear of a death, or see an ambulance removing a body from the house, is not for them or their family, it's for yourself. You think 'that could have been me' or 'that could have' been my dad, and the majority of the grief is for selfish reasons.

I do often see it as having a moment to reflect - and that is completely selfish. What if it had been someone in my family etc. Yes, selfish, but at the same time, it's saying, if that were me, I'd be devastated, you poor people.

Fucking banks.

It costs me $45 to send wire transfers to my own account in the UK. No problem for years doing it. Then suddenly 2 months ago, it struggled to go through, and finally they did something to go through. Last week it wouldnt go through no matter what, so they called and was told to use a different code. They used it, and it got sent back saying it was the sort code that was needed, and not this number. (Duh). However, i got a $45 charge for doing so. Now i have to get in touch with the Bank of Scotland to see if i can get that money back. (My bank has refunded me the initial cost). All in all i spent (without refunds, not sure yet) $100 to not send myself money :angry::angry: (the extra $10 because of difference in rates selling and buying).

It's a fair guess that, nowadays, there'll be a minutes silence for most 'big news' deaths. Just turn up to the game after the silence would have been held. Ta-da!

But if you don't know it's being held then you could walk into the ground during the silence. That happened to some Ayr fans in Peterhead last season. They were moaned about for not being silent but if you don't know, how can you be?

But if you don't know it's being held then you could walk into the ground during the silence. That happened to some Ayr fans in Peterhead last season. They were moaned about for not being silent but if you don't know, how can you be?

Before someone from somewhere else does it :-

SO does Peterhead have a 90 minutes silence all game?

Before someone from somewhere else does it :-

SO does Peterhead have a 90 minutes silence all game?

That's exactly what I was going to say! :lol:

Fucking works night oot!

I went with them to the Coppertop, and Withersp0oons no probem, but when it came to BTW, the bouncers wouldna let me in. Not because I was pished, but because "they didnt know my face". Fucking disgraceful.

Then the fucktards at my work compounded things by going in and enjoying themselves. Only one guy at my work had the decency to say it was wrong and to come out and keep me company. Everyone else fucked off inside.

Not happy.

Fucking works night oot!

I went with them to the Coppertop, and Withersp0oons no probem, but when it came to BTW, the bouncers wouldna let me in. Not because I was pished, but because "they didnt know my face". Fucking disgraceful.

Then the fucktards at my work compounded things by going in and enjoying themselves. Only one guy at my work had the decency to say it was wrong and to come out and keep me company. Everyone else fucked off inside.

Not happy.

Behind the Wall is a shit pub anyway, full of pretentious w**kers and overpriced shite beer.