N H L Returns: Official Ice hockey thread

Savage Henry

03/04 that was, aye?

I watched a few games towards the end of that season, and thought 'I could really get into this...'

I chose Pittsburgh as my team, but there was of course no hockey the next season. :lol:

I was gutted after that

I chose to support the Flames because they were Canadian, then I went on holiday to Calgary the next year, so it was re-enforced

Aye that was shite

Then the Candy canes won it, I think?

Edited by Mr. Brightside

All that is used to determine is playoff places...

It shows the Habs are the best team in the eastern conference over the regular season ;)

Obviously there are a lot of people who have started following the Pens over the past few months, but the same happened with the Ducks, and the same will happen again when any team goes on a good run. I can remember watching the Pens when they finished bottom of the league overall, and they've come so far in such a short period of time.

Its the same when Rangers got to the UEFA Cup final and everybody was having a go at the gers supporters saying they have all come out the closet :rolleyes:

Who said that? :whistle:whistle

Stupid c**t

:lol:

It is usually true though

I thought exactly the same mate :lol: They started playing rubbish in the weeks leading up to the play-offs but credit to the Wings they hit top form when it mattered most.

I don't care what anybody says, Sid is one of the best there is. 20 years old and he has already captained a team to a Stanley Cup final. He has the makings of one of the best ever.

Hes still young so has many years ahead of him, he could burn out like lots of sportsmen do when they burst onto the scene at a young age, could go either way. I would like to see him keep at it and not let it all get to his head.

GO HABS GO!! :D

Edited by Bluenose5

Edit: Also way up there, I wasn't saying the Penguins road was easy, but this year they had a weak set of opponents. Philly is not a GREAT team, and without two big d-men, they were even more exposed. Again, even though they made it through, I wouldn't have fancied them against anyone from the West. (well, a few teams, but...)

^^Captaining a team in the NHL isn't a massive deal. The 'C' is basically thrown at the best player, regardless of age or maturity. I don't think that Crosby is deserving of the status, but definitely will be down the line. You need to have a well-seasoned veteran who is consistent and can control the game as your captain. I don't think the Pens really have that, but I wouldn't want Crosby as the captain on my team right now.

Oh god, I completely missed the "Crosby is the best..." Ugh. I'm not going to get into that one...

That is one of the most biiter things I've ever read!

Obviously there are a lot of people who have started following the Pens over the past few months, but the same happened with the Ducks, and the same will happen again when any team goes on a good run. I can remember watching the Pens when they finished bottom of the league overall, and they've come so far in such a short period of time.

How can you say they won't be back? The team will be pretty much the same next year, except one year older and with experience of reaching the Final. Crosby will be 21, Malkin 22 and Staal 20.

Re Crosby diving, I'd like to point out that it is bullshit, and he has almost totally cut it out of his game now. He used to do it a lot more. The way some people act, Sid could hit a shot from the red line and it'd go over the glass, yet it'd still count and he'd be credited with 4 assists.

Anyway, roll on next season. Go Penguins.

Bitter? What about? I hated both teams in the finals, but just wanted to see that punk Crosby without his name on the cup. About my team? I'm well over it now, and the celebration of 07/08 is still exciting to me.

Of course, I'm not saying the Pens are the first team to have a bandwagon support, but they have an extremely annoying one. Boring arena, boring crowd, annoying fans from those who I have met. *shrug* Dunno what else to say. The Ducks bandwagon wasn't too massive. Hockey in Southern California has never been that big, and the Cup didn't really change that too much. The majority of the seats are still filled even when the team is in last.

The reason I doubt the Penguins is not because of their ability, but their salary situation. Again, Hossa or Malkin is gone. They simply won't get rid of Crosby, and will want to keep Fluery, but that's too much salary cap to be spent on three players. They were way too top heavy, and that showed in the finals. They have very little to be confident about in the fourth line, and their checking line isn't anything to write home about either. I do like Staal, and I think he is going to develop into a great player, but in the NHL, you can only carry so many stars.

Crosby is no Ovechkin or Gretzky in terms of consistency and ability to carry a team. We saw that both Crosby and Malkin are a bit too opportunistic of players in the finals, and couldn't handle the pressure. That'll probably change over the years (I'd bet on it), though.

Sorry, but if you think the Crosby diving thing is bullshit, you have missed quite a bit of his hockey. It has definitely declined, but it is definitely still there. There is a reason so many hockey fans hate him, and diving is one of those reasons.

Edited by kyle*

Of course, I'm not saying the Pens are the first team to have a bandwagon support, but they have an extremely annoying one. Boring arena, boring crowd, annoying fans from those who I have met.

I heard that the Pens are moving from the Mellon Arena to a newly built one basically across the road as Mellon arena is the oldest in the league. Will it be next season they move to it or the season after?

I heard that the Pens are moving from the Mellon Arena to a newly built one basically across the road as Mellon arena is the oldest in the league. Will it be next season they move to it or the season after?

Could be as late as 2011.

But how f**k is the Igloo boring? It is the oldest arena in the league and has the most character too.

Edit: Also way up there, I wasn't saying the Penguins road was easy, but this year they had a weak set of opponents. Philly is not a GREAT team, and without two big d-men, they were even more exposed. Again, even though they made it through, I wouldn't have fancied them against anyone from the West. (well, a few teams, but...)

^^Captaining a team in the NHL isn't a massive deal. The 'C' is basically thrown at the best player, regardless of age or maturity. I don't think that Crosby is deserving of the status, but definitely will be down the line. You need to have a well-seasoned veteran who is consistent and can control the game as your captain. I don't think the Pens really have that, but I wouldn't want Crosby as the captain on my team right now.

Oh god, I completely missed the "Crosby is the best..." Ugh. I'm not going to get into that one...

Bitter? What about? I hated both teams in the finals, but just wanted to see that punk Crosby without his name on the cup. About my team? I'm well over it now, and the celebration of 07/08 is still exciting to me.

Of course, I'm not saying the Pens are the first team to have a bandwagon support, but they have an extremely annoying one. Boring arena, boring crowd, annoying fans from those who I have met. *shrug* Dunno what else to say. The Ducks bandwagon wasn't too massive. Hockey in Southern California has never been that big, and the Cup didn't really change that too much. The majority of the seats are still filled even when the team is in last.

The reason I doubt the Penguins is not because of their ability, but their salary situation. Again, Hossa or Malkin is gone. They simply won't get rid of Crosby, and will want to keep Fluery, but that's too much salary cap to be spent on three players. They were way too top heavy, and that showed in the finals. They have very little to be confident about in the fourth line, and their checking line isn't anything to write home about either. I do like Staal, and I think he is going to develop into a great player, but in the NHL, you can only carry so many stars.

Crosby is no Ovechkin or Gretzky in terms of consistency and ability to carry a team. We saw that both Crosby and Malkin are a bit too opportunistic of players in the finals, and couldn't handle the pressure. That'll probably change over the years (I'd bet on it), though.

Sorry, but if you think the Crosby diving thing is bullshit, you have missed quite a bit of his hockey. It has definitely declined, but it is definitely still there. There is a reason so many hockey fans hate him, and diving is one of those reasons.

Some of that is nonsense.

1- Checking has greatly improved over the past 4, 5 months.

2. Crosby has willingly taken a pay cut in order to help out his team.

3. Crosby is young, but he is definitely a leader. Of that there is no question.

4. I doubt it was the pressure that got to the Pens stars, but rather lack of experience, which of course they will have next year.

Penguins will be back.

Could be as late as 2011.

But how f**k is the Igloo boring? It is the oldest arena in the league and has the most character too.

I didn't mean to repeat myself there. It's boring because of the fans. And I didn't hear it, nor watch it, but I heard that many booed during the cup presentation/celebration for the Red Wings. (a general applause is the usual, classy tradition)

And please explain to me how it has the most character in the league.

Some of that is nonsense.

1- Checking has greatly improved over the past 4, 5 months.

2. Crosby has willingly taken a pay cut in order to help out his team.

3. Crosby is young, but he is definitely a leader. Of that there is no question.

4. I doubt it was the pressure that got to the Pens stars, but rather lack of experience, which of course they will have next year.

Penguins will be back.

1. He is still not a physical force. He still goes down quite easily. He doesn't show the tenacity that is required to 3. be a leader of his team, and pick up his performance when necessary. I really do think he will be able to do this, but not right now. He can't carry his team like other stars have done so with their teams in the playoffs.

2. To what extent? He is not going to keep dropping millions when he can get them elsewhere. Again. They are too top-heavy. It's common knowledge. They can't carry the four big players that they have now, and losing any of them is a giant blow.

4. I did agree with that, but they only have next year if they are lucky. Again, it all comes down to competing with the salary cap.

That's what this is all about. They'll lose Hossa. And a team can swoop in and offer a ludicrous amount of money for Fleury or Malkin at any time, and if those players see more money, they'll take it. That's the way it is. (EDMONTON.)

I'd be shocked if the Penguins don't make the playoffs next year, but the year after that, unless there are some amazing moves in the GM office, they are going to struggle.

Edit: This:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=Ahko...p&type=lgns

Edited by kyle*

The NHL Store had shirts on sale for 4 hours the other day celebrating Alexander Ovechkin being the Hart Trophy winner. The problem of course, is that although we all know he will win it, he still hasn't yet.

:lol:

Who won it then? I dont pay attention to hockey :(

Detroit won the Stanley cup against Pittsburgh four games to two.

The picture I posted is to wind up a certain Pens fan (:lol: just kidding, buddy!) because it shows Alexander Ovechkin with the Hart trophy (best judged player in league), Lester B. Pearson trophy (best player voted by NHL players assosciation), Art Ross trophy (leader in points at end of regular season), and the Maurice "Rocket" Richards trophy (leader in goals at end of regular season).

The picture I posted is to wind up a certain Pens fan ( :lol: just kidding, buddy!) because it shows Alexander Ovechkin with the Hart trophy (best judged player in league), Lester B. Pearson trophy (best player voted by NHL players assosciation), Art Ross trophy (leader in points at end of regular season), and the Maurice "Rocket" Richards trophy (leader in goals at end of regular season).

I like the Penguins. Oh well, next year :lol:

The picture I posted is to wind up a certain Pens fan (:lol: just kidding, buddy!) because it shows Alexander Ovechkin with the Hart trophy (best judged player in league), Lester B. Pearson trophy (best player voted by NHL players assosciation), Art Ross trophy (leader in points at end of regular season), and the Maurice "Rocket" Richards trophy (leader in goals at end of regular season).

Hah, didn't wind me up at all! :)

We all knew that since the Caps made the post season that Ovechkin was gonna win it.

Hah, didn't wind me up at all! :)

We all knew that since the Caps made the post season that Ovechkin was gonna win it.

Bodreau and Ovechkin would have taken the trophies even if they hadn't made the playoffs. Easily. Bodreau turned that team around beyond anyone's expectations. I was in DC for the start of the season, and Caps fans really did not expect to finish well at all.

Ovechkin is a monster. It's unbelievable how good he is. Always a threat, never gives up. Easily the top player in the league. He was guaranteed two of the four, and I don't think anyone who voted for him for the other two was unaware of his talent until the playoffs.

Now stand back while I score an unbelievable goal. :lol:

post-11358-1213372145.gif

Edited by kyle*