N H L Returns: Official Ice hockey thread

Savage Henry

I love the NHL but don't have any of the channels to watch it, so I'm fairly out of the loop tbh because watching highlights just isn't the same.

Gamecenter Live is $100 a season (might go up next season!), couple that with Unblockus and you are laughing.

Must say I've got lost as to how the playoffs are determined since reconstruction last year. Why no longer the simple 1 v 8, 2 v 7, 3 v 6 and 4 v 5? They've overcomplicated the entire thing. Until they balance the conferences it will also look lopsided. Doubt there's much scope for expansion though, with many current franchises already struggling.

No Canucks this year, so don't really care where the Stanley Cup ends up. Been a while since the Habs had their mitts on it. Them vs Colorado with Patrick Roy would certainly be a great story.

They reverted to a divisional based format, so you're best looking at the divisions rather than conferences now, the top 3 in each division make it through then the next two best teams per conference. The major rationale I think is to get more 'rivalry' games, as well as sorting the anomaly that was Winnipeg playing in the Eastern Conference after they replaced the Atlanta Thrashers. They sent Detroit and Columbus across in exchange and created the Divisional system. It's got its pros and cons but it has given us some pretty exciting first round games on paper. It has meant a few games being decided weeks ago which has made a bit more of an anti climax than I think they were hoping for, but I think overall it is a better system.

Great game between the Habs and Tampa Bay last night. Constant end to end stuff with plenty of goals, including a short-handed one from the Habs, and an absolute peach from Stamkos.

Can see this series going all the way to 7 games if that sort of intensity is maintained. Heard that the CBJvsPens was also a great one.

Looking forward to the Avs gametonight. Hopefully we get off to a flyer, Minny are no joke.

Edited by JogaBonito

Yeah the avs-minnesota game was nuts.

Avs were trailing 4-2 leading up to the third period, Patrick Roy pulls the goalie with 3 mins to go, and Eric Johnson had to rush back to prevent an empty netter during that time. Avs tie with 13 secs remaining.

Insane!

Tough luck Hawks, leading 3-2 after first period and lose in the third over time.

Edited by JogaBonito

Selanne and Giguere played their last regular season game for their teams (duck/avs respectively) last night, which ended 3-2 OT.

Pretty fitting end for the two legends.

These two guys should have their jerseys retired opening day Anaheim next season. Selanne is the face of the franchise, Giguere is such a close second.

Forget the nostalgia, hope the Ducks learn on Friday how pathetic letting a 4-0 lead become a 4-3 is. Giving Dallas a split as the eighth seed would be unacceptable.

The Sharks have absolutely dominated the Kings for 4/6 periods so far. No idea what's wrong with the Kings, or if getting back to home ice will help them fix it, but the first two games have been a lot of fun.

Bit closer but Sharks win again 4-3 in overtime. 3-0 up in the series now. May have to bite the bullet and pay for Premier Sports as Sharks looking good this season.

Do yourself a favour and sign up for Gamecenter Live instead. One off payment of $25 (pay it through PayPal) and get an account with Unblockus for $5 a month. Ends up the same cost as Premier Sports for 2 months and you get every single game you want in far better quality than Premier Sports offers (last time I checked they had no HD). Also ability to get it on computer, PS3, iPad, phone etc.