N H L Returns: Official Ice hockey thread

Savage Henry

11 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Anyway, for the first time since the VHS was invented, the cup champions don't have a physical release of their film

Suppose this is the market speaking and my age showing, but still weird to me.

I have the Ducks' 2007 Cup boxset and still flick it on every once in a while. Has all of the Western Conference and Stanley Cup matches and a bunch of extras. Seeing Teemu on the bench in the final minute realizing he's finally winning a Cup never gets old. Also have some a bunch of ticket stubs in there from that season, remnants of the glorious days of fancy physical tickets. I'll still every once in a while even get the urge to watch How the West Was Won about the team's run to their first cup in 2003, prime J.S. Giguere was absolutely incredible.

For current content: I've never hoped for the Ducks to lose every game, but I want them to get Bedard so badly.

13 hours ago, kyle* said:

Suppose this is the market speaking and my age showing, but still weird to me.

I have the Ducks' 2007 Cup boxset and still flick it on every once in a while. Has all of the Western Conference and Stanley Cup matches and a bunch of extras. Seeing Teemu on the bench in the final minute realizing he's finally winning a Cup never gets old. Also have some a bunch of ticket stubs in there from that season, remnants of the glorious days of fancy physical tickets. I'll still every once in a while even get the urge to watch How the West Was Won about the team's run to their first cup in 2003, prime J.S. Giguere was absolutely incredible.

For current content: I've never hoped for the Ducks to lose every game, but I want them to get Bedard so badly.

80 minutes of content is altogether much less than I was expecting.

• 3 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

How much is that skinning you?

Gratis

My B-I-Ls boss has season tickets and gives them to his guys for games he can't make, BIL isn't up for it tonight so gave them to me, face value is somewhere in the $300s, similar tickets on TM/SH are anywhere from $400-$800 right now

Been in them a few times for games, not amazing views as its on a corner but having the beer brought to your seat is a nice perk lol

25 minutes ago, mugen_power said:

Gratis

My B-I-Ls boss has season tickets and gives them to his guys for games he can't make, BIL isn't up for it tonight so gave them to me, face value is somewhere in the $300s, similar tickets on TM/SH are anywhere from $400-$800 right now

Been in them a few times for games, not amazing views as its on a corner but having the beer brought to your seat is a nice perk lol

You might see Ullmark score again!

• 4 weeks later...

When I started following the NHL I had one game a week on Channel 5 and NHL 2001 and 2003. Seeing what little I could of the great Avalanche teams and players from 1995 through to the lockout I obviously thought the players there were just as good as it could get. Milan Hejduk scores 50 goals and leads the league in 2003 with Peter Forsberg feeding him. With burgeoning internet I got to see bits of Joe Sakic's 100 point season in 06-07 and because it was him, because he was 37, it just seemed like something nobody else could do but him.

Anyway, in addition to MacKinnon's 100th point the other night (and another 4 the next game) I got to see Mikko Rantanen put up his 50th (and 52nd):

If you watch any kind of sports team or athletes and you're really conscious of the fact they're some of the best you've ever seen, appreciate them while you can.

I'll see your MacKinnon and Rantanen and raise you Connor McDavid as he scores his 150th point of the season.  Only the 6th player in NHL history to do so and the first since 95-96.  And to add to that Leon Draisaitl has 124 points and is second in scoring.  I've been in Edmonton since 1987 and have seen Gretky, Lemieux etc so McDavid's feat is remarkable.  Colorado have had some good teams but their success might not have come about if Eric Lindros had not refused to be drafted by the Nordiques and was subsequently traded to the Flyers for Peter Forsberg among others.  Of course the team moved from Quebec to Denver and have had great success there.  Sometimes the seemingly small details get overlooked.

10 hours ago, EdmontonDandy said:

I'll see your MacKinnon and Rantanen and raise you Connor McDavid as he scores his 150th point of the season.  Only the 6th player in NHL history to do so and the first since 95-96.  And to add to that Leon Draisaitl has 124 points and is second in scoring.  I've been in Edmonton since 1987 and have seen Gretky, Lemieux etc so McDavid's feat is remarkable.  Colorado have had some good teams but their success might not have come about if Eric Lindros had not refused to be drafted by the Nordiques and was subsequently traded to the Flyers for Peter Forsberg among others.  Of course the team moved from Quebec to Denver and have had great success there.  Sometimes the seemingly small details get overlooked.

The Nordiques were still in the ascendency in the years before they move. The Forsberg trade was obviously massive for the franchise but even if Lindros did go there and the team didn't move you have Sakic, Sundin and Lindros, then other top end forwards like Kamensky and Owen Nolan who you can either build around or trade for the pieces they did. If the team stays in Quebec Patrick Roy doesn't get traded there which is probably a bigger loss.

The smaller detail on the Lindros trade is the arbitrator deciding the Philadelphia offer was the one to take just changes everything: The Infamous Eric Lindros Double Deal with the Rangers and Flyers (foreverblueshirts.com)

Anyway, I'm looking forward to another historic McDavid playoff run end in a sweep :)

100% agree on Patrick Roy, certainly a difference maker, although that great Avs team still managed to lose in the first round of the '98 playoffs to the Oil after being up 3-1.  Curtis Joseph being the difference maker in the series. 🙂  I don't know if you see much of the Oilers but they are a way different proposition this season, especially after the All Star break and the trade deadline.  We're much bigger at the back end and the power play is other worldly.  Don't make predictions but we have so much more to our game and Leon won't be playing on one leg these playoffs.  Good luck to you. 😀

7 minutes ago, EdmontonDandy said:

100% agree on Patrick Roy, certainly a difference maker, although that great Avs team still managed to lose in the first round of the '98 playoffs to the Oil after being up 3-1.  Curtis Joseph being the difference maker in the series. 🙂  I don't know if you see much of the Oilers but they are a way different proposition this season, especially after the All Star break and the trade deadline.  We're much bigger at the back end and the power play is other worldly.  Don't make predictions but we have so much more to our game and Leon won't be playing on one leg these playoffs.  Good luck to you. 😀

If Landeskog makes it back for the playoffs I don't have many fears

;)