The Leeds Thread

Guest The Ger

Was getting updates throughout the match from one of my mates who was at Elland Road and it does seem like the whole atmosphere and attitude around the place has completely changed since Ken Bates got told to f**k off.

33,500 there today too which is pretty impressive.

Well what a day. It was a really good game with the 33,432 crowd getting their moneys worth with the 4th minute injury time winner from new signing Luke Murphy after Matt Smith headed the ball down.

We are far from the finished article the defence is still not great and the midfield struggled at times but going 4-3-3 was a bit of a gamble against a good brighton side who passed the ball well.

Saying that their defence was as bad as the leeds defence at times as when we got the ball and went at them they were alway under pressure to clear.

Still a good start to league, away to leicester next sunday live on sky so will see how things shape up.

As for the joys of train travel think i have had enough for the season after all yesterdays disaster, but that another story not for here.

MOT.

Was getting updates throughout the match from one of my mates who was at Elland Road and it does seem like the whole atmosphere and attitude around the place has completely changed since Ken Bates got told to f**k off.

33,500 there today too which is pretty impressive.

Your mate is 100% correct.

Good article in the YEP about Don Revie's side playing Scotland V England 5 a side at training:-

Mick Jones and Peter Lorimer tell Phil Hay there was no quarter given when United’s England and Scotland stars took each other on.

Ross McCormack’s omission from the Scotland squad will leave Leeds United without representation at Wembley tonight. There was a time when the lack of a single Leeds player in Anglo-Scottish battles would have been unthinkable but this is a different era; a different club.

Don Revie built his famous team on home international talent and Anglo-Scottish battles were as fierce in Leeds as they were at either Wembley or Hampden. Revie organised five-a-sides games on the pitches of Fullerton Park as England versus Scotland – until the mayhem of the matches forced United’s manager to ban them completely.

It says much about the competitive fibre of Revie’s squad that national rivalry came to the fore in fairly benign circumstances. Mick Jones and Peter Lorimer remember heavy tackles, off-the-ball incidents, players grabbing each other by the throat. “We were all friends afterwards,” Jones says, “but the five-a-sides were very keen. A few thousand used to come and watch training for free. You could have charged 20 quid when those games were on.”

At that time, Scotland were the biggest beneficiary of Revie’s work at Elland Road. Lorimer, Billy Bremner, Eddie Gray, Gray’s brother Frank, Gordon McQueen and David Harvey won more than 100 caps between them in a period when international matches were less frequent. Jack Charlton and Norman Hunter gave England years of service and Paul Madeley played more than 20 times. Others, like Jones, made isolated appearances. Revie had no end of pedigree and ambition in his dressing room and was not always able to keep it in check.

“It was his idea originally, the England-Scotland five-a-sides,” Lorimer says. “The likes of Johnny Giles would play with the English lads and we used to get stuck into each other like nothing you’d ever seen. It wasn’t malicious – us Scots just didn’t want the English to win.

“The rivalry was bigger back then because both sides were strong international teams. We were young lads, full of ambition and ego, and it all came out when you split us into two. Don put those games on the back-burner eventually. It got to the point where he was worried about some of us getting injured.”

Revie felt the same anxiety whenever Leeds had a foot in both camps of full international games between the countries. “Before you went away he’d say ‘right you lot, come back in one piece and don’t be getting hurt,” Lorimer says.

“We had one international just before a big club game and Billy (Bremner) and Norman (Hunter) found themselves going for the same ball in the first couple of minutes. I thought ‘here we go.’ They both went in heavy, hit each other and ended up needing treatment for a few minutes.

“They were fine – those two were always fine – but it tells you how competitive we all were. If you’re wearing a Leeds shirt, you’re playing for Leeds and the lads around you. England v Scotland? The same rules apply.”

Capped three times by England, Jones never had a chance to play in a match which was common-place for decades but takes place tonight for the first time since a Euro 2000 qualifying play-off in 1999. But he too saw the effect of national identity when Revie divided his players up for practice matches on Fullerton Park.

“The five-a-sides were tough games,” he says. “We all used to look forward to them and I’d imagine that the public liked watching them too. I can picture big Jack grabbing Lorimer by the throat, that sort of thing. It was fractious stuff and Don had no choice but to cut it out.

“The papers make a big deal of training ground incidents these days and they’d have made a meal of some of ours but to us it was just the way it had to be. As much as Don called a halt to it all, there was never any bad blood afterwards. I think he just saw the way we were flying into tackles and thought ‘this isn’t a great idea.’”

England-Scotland contests were formerly part of the British Home Championship which died a reluctant death in the 1980s. Talk of reviving the tournament has never found much enthusiasm among the game’s governing bodies. Tonight’s match at Wembley is part of the celebrations to mark the Football Association’s 150th anniversary. As of last night, it had not sold out.

“The scramble for tickets back in the day was incredible,” Lorimer recalls. “You got crowds of 130,000 at Hampden and 100,000 at Wembley. Tickets were sold on the black market and everyone was desperate to go. In Leeds you could always feel a buzz about it.

“The sad thing for me is that Scotland in particular have fallen on really hard times. You can list some fantastic Scottish players over the years, some of whom played for Leeds, but these days the entire squad is a long way short of world-class.”

Jones lays the blame for the deteriorating state of Scottish football and the repeated failures of England’s national side at the door of clubs who have flooded both countries with foreign players.

“Look at the Celtic side we played in the 1970s,” he says. “It was tremendous and it was also built entirely from lads who lived within about 15 miles of Parkhead. That’s changed completely.

“As for England, you cannot have the number of foreign players as there are in the Premier League and have a great national side too. You either have the best league in the world or you have the best national side in the world. I don’t think you can expect both.

“There’s still this weight of expectation about the England side but I’m at the point where I don’t fancy them to win anything because the club game in this country doesn’t make it possible. It doesn’t serve the interests of the national side. That’s not defeatist, it’s just realistic.”

Edited by WE ARE LEEDS