The Leeds Thread

Guest The Ger

Just to say the Leeds United team of say 1968 to 1973 was one of the best club sides Britain ever produced.

Bremner,Lorimer,Gray E,Gray F,Jordan.McQueen,Harvey

Clarke,Jones,Charlton J,Hunter,Reaney,Cooper,Cherry

Giles

Sprake,Yorath

No Paul Madeley? 700-odd appearances between 1963 and 1980 in all competitions and pretty much an ever-present in the 'good' years

Edited by The Old Northerner

Interesting piece in the Yorkshire Evening Post about Gordon McQueen and his move to man utd:-

It’s fair to say Gordon McQueen’s biggest Leeds United legacy is nothing to do with his redoubtable qualities as a centre-half – there were few better in the 1970s.

More to do in the manner of his leaving, with the big Scot’s seismic move to Old Trafford in the winter of 1978 proving the catalyst to the bitterness between Leeds United and Manchester United reaching new levels of rancour.

Who says so? The man himself. Truth be told, the move of his big mate Joe Jordan to the Red Devils just a month before his own departure hardly helped. But it was McQueen’s exit that proved the straw that broke the camel’s back. McQueen received dog’s abuse from Leeds fans, adamant he ‘left for the money’. But that’s a charge he will forever refute: “Everyone was saying it was money. But I was actually worse off when I left because I had a car when I was at Leeds United, but never had one at Man United and it was the same wages!

“I went because Leeds weren’t the ambitious club they had been previously. They were heading in the wrong direction, I could just feel it.”

Imperious in the air and solid as an oak on the deck, McQueen turned from a boy to a man at Elland Road after being signed as a raw 19-year-old from St Mirren in September 1972, with Don Revie beating off interest from the likes of Jock Stein, Bill Nicholson and Bobby Robson.

Brought in as a long-term replacement for Jack Charlton, McQueen’s big chance arrived in the never-to-be-forgotten 1973-74 campaign – and while Big Jack was breaking his own records on the managerial front at Middlesbrough, so was McQueen and his Whites team-mates.

A record 29-game unbeaten run at the start of the season broke the will of United’s rivals, with the Division One title race turning into a procession as Leeds lost just four matches out of 42 to stylishly lift silverware.

That said, McQueen will always remember one game in particular. The 3-2 loss at Stoke on February 23, 1974 when Leeds’ proud unbeaten record ended – when he wasn’t playing.

He said: “I remember the 30th game when I was suspended and we got beat more than anything. That irks me more than anything else! I was back in Scotland that day and we were 2-0 up at half-time and just thought: “You beauty!” So I thought the run would continue for when I came back, but 45 minutes later when we had just got beat, I was devastated. “Obviously, the championship medal helped. But at the time, we just thought we were never going to get beaten.”

McQueen also missed out on what should have been the crowning glory for the truly great United side in Paris in May 1975 with the chance of a European Cup winner’s medal denied him – and ultimately his team-mates by an atrocious refereeing performance from Michel Kitabdjian.

McQueen watched the action from the stands after seeing red in the second leg of the semi-final after being sent off at the Nou Camp after punching Barcelona’s Manuel Clares.

Recalling that night, he said: “It was very difficult at the time; when someone spits in your face. Everyone says count to ten. But I did count to ten – and then knocked him out!

“I just swung for him and it’s something I’ve regretted ever since – missing the final in Paris.”

an atrocious refereeing performance from Michel Kitabdjian.

Quite a boy, it seems he had a hand in Fifa's decision to introduce penalty shoot outs and ban the coin toss to decide matches. http://www.thesquareball.net/2011/01/28/looking-for-kitabdjian-part-2/

Two stalemates in Tunis and Casablanca meant Tunisia and Morocco would play-off on neutral ground for a place at the 1970 World Cup finals in Mexico. The Mediterranean melting pot of Marseille and its Stade Vélodrome were the natural choice and on Friday 13th June 1969 the scene was set. In unabating sunshine, Tunisian goals three minutes from the start and the end of the regulation 90 minutes cancelled out two Moroccan strikes and the game headed into extra time. Thirty further merciless minutes demanded that the tie would be decided in the manner of the day: the toss of a coin.

Enter Michel Kitabdjian. ‘I sent for a coin of Moroccan design,’ he explains in conversation with Football Magazine in the week of the 1975 final. ‘Alas the Tunisians, already outraged at the state of the pitch, claimed the coin should be in their favour.’ On this occasion he fails to mention what transpired, which was thankfully dredged up by some quarters of the French press in the aftermath of the debacle in Paris.

‘In the middle of about 100 excited onlookers,’ my dog-eared copy of Miroir du Foot reports, ‘Kitabdjian launched the coin and the Tunisian captain Habacha leapt into the air.’ But something fishy was going on in Marseille – and I’m not talking bouillabaisse. Much like Lorimer’s, it was short-lived joy for Tunisia because Kitabdjian ‘changed his mind, annulled the verdict and locked himself in the changing room where the coin “chose” Morocco!’

Well, well, well. Six years later, despite describing the episode as a ‘farce’ the referee remained unembarrassed at his role. ‘It’s the match, I recall,’ he said with a hint of pride, ‘Which prompted FIFA to approve penalties and abolish the coin toss.’

Well a day of great news as Uncle Ken has gone and we have a new chairman.

Also Shaun Harvey is no longer the CEO as David Haigh has taken on the roll of managing director.

From the OS:-

Salah Nooruddin and David Haigh new appointments.... 0,,10273~8747326,00.jpg

GFH Capital, majority shareholders in Leeds United FC, today announce major changes in the club's boardroom structure with the appointment of Salah Nooruddin as Chairman and David Haigh, Deputy CEO of GFH Capital, as Managing Director. At the same time Shaun Harvey, who has been CEO since 2004, steps down from his role as CEO.

Mr. Haigh has been a regular figure at Elland Road since GFH Capital finalised its acquisition of Leeds United in 2012. As a Director, he was instrumental in the introduction of many new initiatives. His role as Managing Director will see him responsible for the day-to-day running of the club.

Commenting on the changes, Salah Nooruddin, who moves up from his previous role as Vice Chairman of Leeds United, said:

"We are pleased to welcome David Haigh to his new role. He and I will continue to work with the rest of the Board, the management team, Brian McDermott and his team to build the foundations on and off the pitch for a successful future for Leeds United.

"At the same time we extend our thanks to Shaun for his services to the club over the past nine years, Shaun will remain as a director of the club to offer us his considerable footballing experience. He has always given strong leadership to the football club in what have been often been challenging times."

David Haigh said: "I look forward to my new role and continuing to work with everyone at the club to help create, with the support of the owners, the long term and sustainable success which Leeds United's great past merits.

"We are at a time in the development of the club when we have to balance immediate ambition against our long term strategy for success. We have an excellent Manager in Brian McDermott and I am confident that by working as a team we can achieve our aims."

Edited by DONT FEAR THE REAPER

And a new signing as well:-

United win battle to sign Crewe star...
0,,10273~12044161,00.jpg

Leeds United can confirm the signing of Luke Murphy from Crewe Alexandra.

Central midfielder Luke finalised the terms of his switch on Monday and has signed a three-year contract.

The club beat off interest from a number of clubs to capture the signature of the highly-rated 23-year-old and United boss Brian McDermott was pleased to welcome him to Thorp Arch.

"Myself, the owners, the staff, the players, and I'm sure and I can speak for the supporters on this one, are absolutely delighted to sign Luke," said the boss.

"He's a player I've known for a long time, I've watched his career progress, and I feel he was the best player in his division last year.

"Luke certainly fits the profile of player that we're looking to attract: He is young, hungry, wants to work hard and very obviously talented.

"I'd like to thank the owners for making this deal happen. We had spoken about Luke earlier in the summer being one for the key signings we're looking to make."

Newly-appointed chairman Salah Nooruddin said: "We're delighted to complete the deal for Luke. There was plenty of interest in him from other clubs, but Brian had never made any secret about his desire to bring Luke here, and we're pleased we were able to get things done and welcome a very good addition to our squad."

Luke is a graduate of Crewe's Academy system and, since making his debut as an 18-year-old, he made 186 appearances for the club, scoring 25 goals.

Managing director David Haigh was also on hand to welcome the player to the club and he said: "It's great to welcome Luke aboard. He is a player that Brian had identified some time ago and we have all worked very hard to make this happen."

Luke completed the formalities of his move on Monday and will train with his new team-mates for the first time on Tuesday.

Luke becomes the club's second signing of the summer - Matt Smith has also joined, from Oldham - and it's anticipated that at least one more new face will be added before the first team squad head for Slovenia on pre-season tour on Monday.

Ex Dundee United striker signs on a free transfer from Reading:-

The club is delighted to announce the signing of former Reading star Noel Hunt.

The 30-year-old, who was out of contract at Reading, has signed a two-year contract with the club.

The Republic of Ireland international scored 39 goals in 162 appearances during a five-year stay at Reading, and has previously played under United manager Brian McDermott.

"Noel is a player that I scouted five years ago when he was playing for Dundee United," said the United boss.

"We spent £500,000 on him at the time, and that was money very well spent. He's an infectious character and I'm sure he will engage Leeds United fans with his desire and determination, and never say die attitude.

"He will bring an awful lot to our squad on and off the pitch, and I'm delighted he's chosen to come and play for Leeds."

Hunt joins Luke Murphy and Matt Smith as the new additions to the United squad.

The Waterford-born number 10 is likely to join his fellow new recruits in making his debut in Saturday's pre-season friendly opener at Farsley (3pm).

Rumours are that Crystal Palace are to bid £3M for Byram and Blackpool to offer a £1M for McCormack.

Given Byram's hip problem he would fail the medical.

Also test the new boards resolve to keep the good players instead of selling them.

Would be a disaster to lose McCormack, especially for such a low sum of money.

His goals and assists will be worth more than that during the season, he seems to love the club too.

Would be a disaster to lose McCormack, especially for such a low sum of money.

His goals and assists will be worth more than that during the season, he seems to love the club too.

Yeah, I don't see Leeds accepting anywhere near £1million for McCormack - especially if Byram is being quoted at £3million.

From the Yorkshire Evening Post:-

Leeds United striker Ross McCormack has moved to quell speculation about his future by telling both his manager, Brian McDermott, and his agent that he has no interest in a transfer away from Elland Road.

The Scotland international clarified his position and stressed his commitment to the club after featuring in Leeds’ first pre-season friendly against Farsley on Saturday.

United’s forward line clicked convincingly at Throstle Nest with new signings Matt Smith and Noel Hunt and young striker Dominic Poleon scoring in a 5-0 win. McCormack, who looks increasingly likely to be used as an attacking midfielder by McDermott, is expected to be at the forefront of United’s plans next season but the past fortnight has seen links between him and a number of other clubs.

Blackpool are known to be interested in signing McCormack and appear willing to pay £1million to prise him from Elland Road while Harry Redknapp’s Queens Park Rangers have also been linked with the 26-year-old.

McDermott has admitted that players will leave United to help finance new signings and Steve Morison was allowed to join Millwall on a season-long loan.

But McCormack has made clear his intention to stay at Leeds and hinted that he would prefer to discuss an extension to a contract which runs until 2015.

McCormack said: “We’ve signed a couple of players and I think everyone knows that a few players are going to have to go out to balance the squad and probably balance the books as well.

“At the minute there’s a lot of speculation about me but I don’t want to go. The manager knows that, my agent knows that so it’s all pretty clear. If anything, maybe something could happen with my contract.”

United’s players were travelling on tour to Slovenia this morning with McDermott pressing to secure his fourth signing.

The Leeds boss said: “There’s one person in particular I’m working on and have been for such a long time. I hope to get some kind of outcome on that.

“Every one of the players I’ve tried to sign have been important to me and this is another one. I’m always optimistic and there’s another club involved but if we can do the deal then we’ll do it.”