Smoking Ban Working

Thundermonkey

Of course not.

But if HB gets his way on another thread, I would cash in my private pension.

:D

Well, not really. Just make sure you retire nice and early, so you can enjoy it!

I think I'd get a lot of support from Annuity providers also.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are there any other measures you would support? Increase VAT on unhealthy foods?

I agree with the smoking ban because of passive smoke.

I also support healthy school meals because you can't blame kids for not eating healthy if their parents are giving them crap food.

But other than that I really wish people would just take some personal responsibility for their own health. And if they are too stupid to do that then who cares?

Nobody has died because the person next to them is eating cheeseburgers every day.

You can't stop parents from feeding their kids crap but then you can't stop them from subjecting children to second hand smoke so the food issue is harder to argue for. Folk bang on about the nanny state but the smoking ban is nowhere near this. If folk want to smoke, kill themselves with chest complaints, heart disease and cancer then they have the choice. It does affect the health of others though so there should be restraints on where they can do so. What people do in their houses is entirely up to them though.

Down 17% eh? :lol:

That is wonderful news. Our government is in control. Switch on your tvs. Watch Big Brother and some cooking programmes. Everything is fine. Your government is in control.

That's a disappointing reaction Monster. A typical kneejerk reaction that is suitable to rubbish any initiative that any government trys to impliment.

Would you be happier if more folk were having heart attacks? Maybe 17% is not a significant reduction for you? Perhaps you see the word government and roll out the same old rubbish? :rolleyes:

Nobody has died because the person next to them is eating cheeseburgers every day.

You can't stop parents from feeding their kids crap but then you can't stop them from subjecting children to second hand smoke so the food issue is harder to argue for. Folk bang on about the nanny state but the smoking ban is nowhere near this. If folk want to smoke, kill themselves with chest complaints, heart disease and cancer then they have the choice. It does affect the health of others though so there should be restraints on where they can do so. What people do in their houses is entirely up to them though.

That's why I said I supported the smoking ban.

That's a disappointing reaction Monster. A typical kneejerk reaction that is suitable to rubbish any initiative that any government trys to impliment.

Would you be happier if more folk were having heart attacks? Maybe 17% is not a significant reduction for you? Perhaps you see the word government and roll out the same old rubbish? :rolleyes:

If I died from a heart attack from sitting in smoky pubs I wouldn't give a f**k, at least I'd get away from creeps trying to run my life :D

Maybe you should take up smoking then.

Smoking's a disgusting, filthy, wasteful habit.

I have never, ever in my life smoked a cigarette. Ever. I'm quite proud of that, really :D

No wonder Alistair Campbell left the party. He wasn't needed when there are plenty of chumps around waiting to applaud anything that even seems remotely as though it could be true.

I would expect the figures published to have been even greater than that, especially after Nu Labours great record of caring so much about the welfare of its citizens. That, coupled with its many awards for truth-telling make me only too eager to gladly accept this figure as being entirely accurate and cheerfully give a flying f**k.

I'm away back to watch the X-factor repeats now that everything is fine.

No wonder Alistair Campbell left the party. He wasn't needed when there are plenty of chumps around waiting to applaud anything that even seems remotely as though it could be true.

I would expect the figures published to have been even greater than that, especially after Nu Labours great record of caring so much about the welfare of its citizens. That, coupled with its many awards for truth-telling make me only too eager to gladly accept this figure as being entirely accurate and cheerfully give a flying f**k.

I'm away back to watch the X-factor repeats now that everything is fine.

I thought it would have taken longer for any for effect to happen.

I thought it would have taken longer for any for effect to happen.

Yeah but im sure it won't stop the SNP fans on here coming and saying that it is all Alex Salmonds doing. :rolleyes:

edited to add:- It is certainly good news. However it may just be a blip, it will take a few years of a similar trend to be proof that the smoking ban has worked, and this isn't just an irregularity.

Yeah but im sure it won't stop the SNP fans on here coming and saying that it is all Alex Salmonds doing. :rolleyes:

edited to add:- It is certainly good news. However it may just be a blip, it will take a few years of a similar trend to be proof that the smoking ban has worked, and this isn't just an irregularity.

The SNP weren't in power when the ban went in.

If I died from a heart attack from sitting in smoky pubs I wouldn't give a f**k, at least I'd get away from creeps trying to run my life :D
Smoking's a disgusting, filthy, wasteful habit.

I have never, ever in my life smoked a cigarette. Ever. I'm quite proud of that, really :D

Some folk will moan about anything for the sake of it.

Some folk will moan about anything for the sake of it.

Some people will lap up dodgy statistics for the sake of a smug feeling of superiority (and by some people I mean you.)

Archived