Best Goal So Far.

Guest Not Really John McVeigh

Guest BCityfan
Larsson's header, or Baros's volley.

Hmm. I've just said the exact same thing as David. I'd better add Rommedahl's first against Sweden to be a little different. :D

That was John Dahl Tommasson, however, it was a breathtaking strike! :)

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tie between Rui Costa against England and Baros for the Czechs against the Dutch.

Rui Costa showed great strength and balance before unleashing that amazing shot. Baros' goal cam after incredibly neat interplay between the Czechs. Sublime ball in and a clever lay off by Koller (I think) for Baros who showed great technique to fire home. Two awesome strikes.

Tie between Rui Costa against England and Baros for the Czechs against the Dutch.

Rui Costa showed great strength and balance before unleashing that amazing shot. Baros' goal cam after incredibly neat interplay between the Czechs. Sublime ball in and a clever lay off by Koller (I think) for Baros who showed great technique to fire home. Two awesome strikes.

There's been some cracking goals in this tournament, even since I returned for the final games of the groups. I didn't see any of the first two games for each side apart from Italy v Sweden and the Group D 2nd games so haven't seen the goals from the first week.

However, since then the following have all in one way or another been special goals:-

Ibrahimovic for Sweden v Italy, a backheel into the top corner!

Rooney for England v Croatia (2nd), a fine move and a burst clear with a confident finish.

Baros for Czech Rep v Holland, brilliant volley finish from Koller's chest pass.

Smicer in the same game, a superb passing move including astonishing awareness from Poborsky at the end of it.

Ballack for Germany v Czech Rep, super strike into the top corner similar to Baros against Holland.

Heinz for Czech Rep v Germany, best free kick I've seen.

Rui Costa for Portugal v England, a superb power strike from outside the box.

Baros for Czech Rep v Denmark, great passing move again and a composed finish though Sorensen rather lay down for him.

All of those would surely have been eclipsed though had Nedved's 40 yarder which hit the bar and bounced the wrong side of the line against Holland gone in instead. What a strike that was!

I liked Baros' goal against Holland, superb build up - a great pass from Nedved (I think), wonderful chest lay off by Koller and then a stuning finish from Milan himself.

Real class, just like the whole Czech team :)

Personally I am less impressed by Rui Costa's goal than most. He got into the same position about 4 times and tried exactly the same shot each time. It was stupid defending (or perhaps they were too close to the game, maybe stupid managing) to allow him so many similar chances. He was bound to score one of them.

Both Baros goals were good, but I wouldn't call them excellent strikes. Good positioning and running but the strikes themselves weren't that great (in comparison).

Larsson's header was a "classic", more so for the fact that the camera angles caught his leap perfectly.

No the goal that was the best was actually not a goal at all. Nedved had a screamer against the Dutch in the second half of the group game. Had that gone in it would be talked about in bars in the same way Van Basten's, Maradonna's (2nd not the HoG) or Gemmil's.

Guest John McVeigh
Tomasson and baros goals were greta. So was Zidanes free kick

Tomasson and Baros never played for Gretna. Fact!!

Rooney against Croatia the first or Thomasson against Sweden.

I think the Croatian keeper helped the ball into the net. Should have saved it, really.

Maniche's goal tonight, Tomasson's or Ballack's are the three standouts for me.

If Figo's strike hadn't hit the post it'd have been goal of the tournament by a mile! :D

i said on the other thread, i don't think i saw a better bit of skill in the whole tournament that that effort from Figo.

It would have been goal of the tournament no contest. :D

It would have been repeated years from now in the way van bastens effort is. ;):D

sadly it didn't so i still vote for rui costa :P

nonsense :P

the control on the chest, the drag back, the step over and the cut inside finished with the curling shot. as an individual peice of skill you won't see much better. :D

there is no point arguing with me over this ;)

nonsense :P

the control on the chest, the drag back, the step over and the cut inside finished with the curling shot. as an individual peice of skill you won't see much better. :D

there is no point arguing with me over this ;)

Figo! Figo! couldn't have described it better :D

Maniche what a goal

Archived