Referee For The Final

David W

Semi's:

Holland v Portugal-Anders Frisk

Czech Republic v Greece-Pierluigi Collina

Final:

Magnus Merk

Firstly, they have a Swedish referee, refereeing a game involving the team which put Sweden out the tournament.

Secondly, a German refereeing a game potentially involving the Dutch?

Thirdly, undoubtedly the best referee in the world, in his last major tournament, and he isn't given the final. A disgrace :angry:

I thought Urs Meir deserved to be at LEAST a fouth official for the final, shocking. :angry:

Nah, seriously, Collina should be doing the final, as he without a doubt, is the best. I aint even heard of the guy whos doing the final.

Meir has shown he has the bottle to make decisions when it matters but I'd agree that the final should have undoubtly been Collina's. Poor show from UEFA - again.

Nah, seriously, Collina should be doing the final, as he without a doubt, is the best. I aint even heard of the guy whos doing the final. Has Urs Meier got a place in any of the games, even as 4th official?

Markus Merk isn't a bad ref TBH, but Collina should definetly have been given the final, especially as he has no conflicts of interests in any combination of finalists.

Nosferatu has had his shot at a major fianls, someone new should be given a chance.

As for all this stuff about teams who put out the country of the ref, in Europe you'll always get issues like that. These refs should be proffesional enough to deal with that.

It's Markus Merk not Magnus.

As Gordon said, Collina's refereed a major international final before (World Cup final 2002) and he was also given the opening game of the tournament which is seen as a great honour. Collina is a good referee, possibly the best, but like every other referee he has bad games as well as good games. He's possibly the only ref that I can think of that has been overhyped. Others deserve a chance. Collina can't referee every game.

You know, I'm not sure about the myth of Collina. If he wasn't about 6 ft 4 and bald as a coot, with weird scarey eyes, I'm not convinced people would eulogise him quite so much. Yes he's a good referee, but not so great as to cast a shadow over all the other referees in the world. Markus Merk is just as good a referee - his handling of the England/France penalties for example - and deserves the final.

I believe this will be his last international game as he's 45 or whatever age you have to retire at.

Stairparkrabbit - the only Scottish official at the tournament, is, worryingly, Stuart Dougal, who was the fourth official to Mike Reilly.

Yeah, it just seems fashionable to say how great Collina is. I think all the pundits started creaming over him in Euro 2000, now everyone loves to go on about him to show how knowledgable they are about the game.

I think he's alright (the fact I can't remeber many mistakes from him puts him up there with about 10/15 other international refs) but, to be honest, I can't really say I think he's that much better than Makus Merk.

I don't think the Czechs like him too much though. Did he not award a dubious decision against them in 2000?

Anders Frisk is a w**ker though. He was appaling in Dortmund (I think). I remeber one commentator described him as a "perfumed antalope".

No I think Collina has to retire after Euro 2004. I read a good article about him in Italian Football magazine and he is at the age where, by UEFA's rules, he is no longer 'fit' to referee games.

I think he is an excellent referee but I have been saying this for seasons now. He gets so much respect from players in Serie A it is unbelievable. You see here all the players having a good old moan at the referee if they don't agree with the decision but in Italy the players will generally get on with the game and not argue with him. An excellent professional who will be missed when he doesn retire.

but in Italy the players will generally get on with the game and not argue with him.

Mind you with his wild bulging mad eyes, who'd be brave enough to disagree with him? :lol:

Guest Bhoys67

Collina for the final for sure, he's the best in the business, just like England

are for making excuses.

It's fashionable to say that Hugh Dallas is Scotland's best referee too.

Anyone at lower league level who has witnessed his 'displays' will be scratching their heads at that one. Almost every Albion game he's reffed, he's been abysmal.

Sometimes the hype isn't justified with refs. IMO Collina IS a good referee, maybe up there with the best, but take away his bulging eyes and put some hair on him, and he'd ne no more respected than the others at the top of the game.

I reckon.

I think the reason Hugh Dallas is probably the best ref in scotland is the fact he can run an old firm game and be firm and fair. Most other refs make a right balls up of it. I dont think anyone can say any referee is brilliant, you dont see some refs a lot and they make a couple of mistakes which anyone can do and they are labeled as crap when maybe they are one of the best. For me a referee is good if he can have the respect of the players so that they wont try and argue and things, not the respect of the fans, as you cant please both sets *whoever loses will always complain about the ref*

Collina should have been given the final. He is the best ref in the world.

Everyone can be excused the odd mistake of course but I see the "best ref in the World" effectively caused the Czechs to be knocked out last night by his failure to award a second half penalty for blatant shirt pulling on Koller by the ultimate goalscorer Dellas. :rolleyes:

Who says refs don't change games?

It's fashionable to say that Hugh Dallas is Scotland's best referee too.

Anyone at lower league level who has witnessed his 'displays' will be scratching their heads at that one. Almost every Albion game he's reffed, he's been abysmal.

Hugh Dallas produced the single worst refereeing performance I saw last season in our midweek defeat at Kirkcaldy. Absolutely woeful and full of an "I'm Hugh Dallas, you will do as I say" attitude.

It's Markus Merk

If the Portuguese and Greeks start any diving or niggly fouls, lets just hope he's quick off the MERK to nip it in the bud!! :lol::lol::lol:

I'll just get me coat, then! :(

Archived