P&b Running Club

This thread had went quiet!

I was also going to go for the Marcothon this year, but being away with work for the first three days of the month put paid to that.

Been a few quieter weeks of running, mostly just parkruns (have now passed 50!) but this week is time to start the training again for next year, with the Alloa Half first on the agenda.

Going to end the year with the most miles I've done by a long way, targeted over 1000km and will make that in the next week or two.

Fair play to the Marcothon lot. Weather's been rank, sack that. Treadmill'd be even worse. I'd probably take every second day very easy as a recovery run to try to stay fresh, it'll only add 5 mins(ish) on to the run.

Had a couple of rubbish weeks with a cold myself, but also got to 50 on the parkrun front and have kept ticking along. Got the Dopey Challenge at Disney in January & signed up for the Nigel Barge 10k in Glasgow on 24/Jan as start of serious work towards my Spring marathon. Fun times ahead.

I've not managed to get out at all recently. Rubbish. Starting to look at next year and planning some events. I think I'll do Aviemore Half again - there's definitely some unfinished business there. Baxter's 10k is a given. I'd like to do more triathlons this year though and have asked Santa for a turbo trainer for my bike so that there are no excuses once the kids are in bed and there's no babysitter. I'm going to my first running club session on Wednesday though. Bit nervous.

You'll be fine going to a running club, Reina. I went to one for the first time in July and was nervous as well, more because I'm naturally quite introverted and find anything new like that quite difficult. What I can say though is that it's absolutely been worth it and I'm really enjoying it now - I just find it much better runnng with a group for some reason, even if we're running hard and there isn't much chat. As an example, I very much doubt I'd have forced myself out in that freezing, pissing rain tonight had it not been for a club session. Parkrun volunteering is also surprisingly enjoyable - have done it a couple of times in the last few weeks and will probably keep doing it.

Aye, well done anyone trying Marcothon - I thought about it but didn't fancy it.

Not that much happening for me at the moment. First race next year will be Forfar multi terrain half in early February, which looks like qute a tough one to begin with. I was lucky to get our club's one place for the London marathon in a draw, so looking forward to that. I've mainly been trying to build my long run up and managed couple of 16 mile efforts the last two weeks, so should have a much better start point this year when I start pushing it up in January.

I don't want to get ahead of myself, but I might have broken the back of it.

I've gone from getting slower and slower to last night being the fastest training run (non-race or Parkrun) I have done in over a year. (Day 10)

Obviously it is going to go horribly wrong now, but I'm starting to feel good about it. I'm going out at lunchtime, and will take it gently, then see how Parkrun goes tomorrow morning.

Nice one, Wee Bully. So far, so good.

I'm with Socks, Reina; you'll be fine with the club. You'll know this from the jogscotland group anyway, but running with folk makes the whole thing seem less of a chore, and the club will get you pushing that little bit harder too. Big improvements will follow!

I've set myself a small challenge , I've recorded all my runs this year on my map my run app and on the 1st of Dec realised I'd done 420 miles so far this year, so have set myself a target of hitting 500 by 31st of Dec , on 447 now but have been off all week so been a bit easier,

up to 459 now ,going out tomorrow for about a 5 miler then wednesday for 4 or 5 , getting there :)

Sounds like you're winning, Co. Down. Nothing like a arbitrary target for keeping you motivated!

Was heading to parkrun when my bike tyre exploded. That was fun. Had to give that a miss, but enjoyed a muddy XC at Livingston instead, and then 16 miles round the South of Edinburgh as day turned to dusk. Legs feeling a bit heavy, but glad I made it out.

My numbers are a bit funny. For some reason strava counts any hikes I've uploaded towards my running totals while ignoring any milage covered for games of fives I upload from my vivofit.

I have;

Distance - 1078 miles

Time - 158hr 43mins

Elevation - 49,029ft (probably minus about 25 to 30,000ft of hiking)

Runs - 234

Fair play to all the Marcothoners. I've really struggled for motivation to get out recently. I went under the 20 minute barrier at parkrun in the middle of November and decided to have a couple weeks rest which has more or less turned into a month aside from the odd run here and there. The weather hasn't helped much. I'll probably just coast to the end of the year now before the serious marathon training starts in the new year.

Doing the great winter run in Edinburgh in January so I'll probably get a fright there!

Went out for a brief 4.5 miles tonight which was my first run in about 3 weeks. I was out Fri, Sat and Sun on the booze so struggled like hell and my heart rate was through the roof for what would normally be a gentle trot. I wasn't going to bother again until January but checked Strava (on the back of Co. Down Hibee's post) and I was on 445.5 miles for the year. I think i'd regret not reaching 500 for the year so i'm going to force myself to get out there.

Edited by ArabGaz