P&b Running Club

My college course, studying sports.

Looking to see how much cardio people do to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Best type of training is Interval training imo.

What types of stretches do you do before you exercise?

Most people do the wrong type of stretching before exercise and not the right one after it.

Yep. I have a programme worked out for playing squash. Just a series of sprints within the court and a bit of circuit training. And I do a bit of weights stuff too. Squats and deadlifts mostly and a bit of arm stuff. I am quite lucky that I have NEVER had any muscle trouble or any sort of joint injuries in all the time I have played sports. I have always been quite naturally fit anyway and I am naturally supple too. I know a lot of the guys I play against(squash) do all sorts of stretches and stuff. I should really lookinto this a bit more especially as I am an old b*****d nowadays. It will probably help me to play well into my fifties.(I'm 40 later this year)

I don't really know what sort of stretching I do. I tend to walk about a bit and have a smoke. :lol:

Give me a link to show the right stretching to do pre and apres.

My main issue is that I found myself spitting CONSTANTLY- I'm talking about every 100 yards. I normally grog a wee bit when running but not to this degree.

Anyone know what causes this and how to avoid it? Is it dehydration (I had a pint of water 20 minutes before I went out), or is it because I was still a bit ill? Does anyone else suffer from having to grog all the time when running?

I was gobbin all over the place last night. I realised that I never had to grog once when running the marathon. I can only put it down to fitness.

Any P&B Nike+ers planning on running the Great Edinburgh Run?

Yep, if it's the 10K you're talking about. Look out for the challenge that gives you free entry, that's how I entered last year.

If I want to get my legs a bit stronger am I better of riding an exercise bike at low resistance, high resistance or mixing between high and low resistances?

Not strictly running but I don't think this deserved a new topic.

Depends on what you mean by stronger. Do you mean that you would like to be able to work for longer or bigger muscles for power?

i'm raging. I just haven't been able to get going this year: was ill for a chunk of January, then we had a big freeze where I wasn't risking doing my knee in, then I chipped a bone in my foot playing 5s just as I was getting back into it. This is the worst ever run of illness / injury I've ever had.

I'm going to put in for the 10k on Father's day in Glasgow, hopefully my weak immune system and poppadom bones will hold up.

If I want to get my legs a bit stronger am I better of riding an exercise bike at low resistance, high resistance or mixing between high and low resistances?

Not strictly running but I don't think this deserved a new topic.

The bike pretty much does what running does. You will build endurance but wont build any muscle really. Get some weights and start doing squats, those bad boys really hammer your legs and will build strength.

i'm raging. I just haven't been able to get going this year: was ill for a chunk of January, then we had a big freeze where I wasn't risking doing my knee in, then I chipped a bone in my foot playing 5s just as I was getting back into it. This is the worst ever run of illness / injury I've ever had.

I'm going to put in for the 10k on Father's day in Glasgow, hopefully my weak immune system and poppadom bones will hold up.

That's hard luck, hopefully it will heal up fast.

I'm clueless - when's Father's Day and where about is the 10K in Glasgow?

I've also went through a fairly bad phase of injury this year. Already had a twisted ankle, strained the ligaments behind my knee in January and now I have a muscle sprain in my lower back.

I'd been hoping to get down to eleven stone by the end of March but it doesn't look like that'll be happening.

I got a mail through my door telling me about how the Edinburgh half marathon and the Dunfermline half marathon is coming up...sinse I'm not old enough for either I'm now doing the 5k <_< With no previous running training I'm aiming for 19 minutes..I think I can achieve this because just on Wednesday I got 12.8 on a deep test..not the same thing but :unsure:

I got a mail through my door telling me about how the Edinburgh half marathon and the Dunfermline half marathon is coming up...sinse I'm not old enough for either I'm now doing the 5k <_< With no previous running training I'm aiming for 19 minutes..I think I can achieve this because just on Wednesday I got 12.8 on a deep test..not the same thing but :unsure:

What's your middle-distance running like?

19 Minutes is pretty fast for a 5K

I know there are different types of Bleep test but if that's the one where each level (the 12 in your score) is ten repeats (the 8 in your score) then youve only covered 2560m. And you've probably walked the first couple of levels.

Jog Scotland beginners - that's me :) . We are on Week 8 and running for 12 and a half minutes now. Goes up to 15 mins this week.

I know ths sounds piss easy for all you runners but for someone who's never ran before I'm well chuffed and it really does get easier week by week :D

Jog Scotland beginners - that's me :) . We are on Week 8 and running for 12 and a half minutes now. Goes up to 15 mins this week.

I know ths sounds piss easy for all you runners but for someone who's never ran before I'm well chuffed and it really does get easier week by week :D

We all have to start somewhere - I started with a couch to 5k training programme in 10 weeks a couple of years back. You need to take it easy to begin with and then it gets easier.